How do you know if the ADBV failed on your filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's still on the car you'll get a slight, I mean slight, increase on your dipstick.

The only way I know how is to turn your car on (with suspected filter) and let it run a couple minutes, turn the car off wait an hour or so and take off the filter. Oil should come out of the filter mating area. You'll know if it is not working, by how much oil comes out, especially if you change your own oil.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If it's still on the car you'll get a slight, I mean slight, increase on your dipstick.

If you check the oil cold and compare it to the hot level, a failed ADBV will result in a noticeable increase in the cold oil level. On my truck, I punch a hole in the top of the filter to drain the filter. I check the oil level before and after the filter has drained, and the oil level goes up 5 or 6 mm on the dipstick ... it's very noticeable in my case.

You can tell by the weight of the filter after you take it off the car. When the filter retains oil well it is noticeably heavier than an empty filter. I suppose you could weigh the filter before and after on a kitchen scale to get a more precise idea, though the used media retains some oil adding to the weight a bit. Frankly, I just shake the filter and I can feel a bit of oil sloshing around in there. Also, you can peer into the holes to see if the ADBV is physically in good shape--I have heard, but never seen myself, of filters that lost chunks of the ADBV or appeared to have a part folded over.

Quote:
Quote:
Honestly, if the filter points upwards, there is no point of worrying about bad ADBV

Wrong.
lol.gif
This has been a topic of discussion more once hasn't it? Can it be said that depending on the location of a base up/verticle filter the adbv may not be as critical?
27.gif

35.gif

Quote:
Can it be said that depending on the location of a base up/verticle filter the adbv may not be as critical?

My theory is that the auto manufacturers spec. an ADBV in the filter for a reason. Presumably they also expect it to work.

Just for kicks I looked up what Wix says about ADBVs on its Web site:

Quote:
Silicone Anti-Drainback Valve - Stays flexible in extreme temperatures, improves oil flow and keeps oil in filter to prevent engine destroying dry starts. Also provides lasting protection to meet new vehicle manufacturers longer recommended oil change schedules. Nitrile valves can harden and become ineffective over time.

Some WIX full-flow filters include anti-drainback and/or filter by-pass valves. These types of filters are identical to full-flow filters, except that a by-pass valve replaces the inner element support and an anti-drainback valve has been added. The Anti-Drainback Valve prevents oil from draining out of the filter inlet holes when the engine is shut off. It also provides seal between clean and dirty oil at the upper end cap. This is necessary in applications where the oil filter is mounted in a horizontal or inverted position.

Here's what Purolator says:
Quote:
Silicone anti-drainback valve** protects against engine dry start

And here's what Fram says about ADBVs:
Quote:
Silicone anti-drainback valve holds a reserve of oil in the filter to help protect the engine during start-ups

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bruce T
I thought Gary Allan made a good case in a previous thread (see the link below) for the true purpose of an ADBV. He said it wasn't designed to hold an oil column up in the engine indefinitely, but rather to prevent the rapid backwashing of already trapped contaminants out of the filter media:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1993075&page=all

See my test of the ADBV in the thread below. IMO, it would have held the oil in the filter indefinitely.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...807#Post2042807

Quote:
See my test of the ADBV in the thread below. IMO, it would have held the oil in the filter indefinitely.

+1. Last winter I changed the oil in several vehicles right about Nov. 1 and then let the filters sit in cans hole sides down over the winter. I cut the filters open in May of the following year and they still held plenty of oil inside. So, the ADBVs seem to hold significant amounts of oil for at least six months.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Bruce T
I thought Gary Allan made a good case in a previous thread (see the link below) for the true purpose of an ADBV. He said it wasn't designed to hold an oil column up in the engine indefinitely, but rather to prevent the rapid backwashing of already trapped contaminants out of the filter media:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1993075&page=all

Z06, I hadn't seen your test until now. Very impressive. I can't fault your methodology. Some people would argue it's not statistically significant without a bigger sampling of filters, but I think it's enough, especially since AuthorEditor had the same results with his filter (different brand?). Great work!

Quote:
AuthorEditor had the same results with his filter (different brand?).

One of the filters was a PureOne and the other was a Motorcraft FL820s, both with silicone ADBVs. I've cut open other samples of PureOne and Motorcraft filters that have sat for weeks or months draining and they all have retained substantial amounts of oil. My conclusion is that a well made ADBV really works to keep oil in the filter, thereby lessening the delay upon starting in getting oil to critical engine parts, which is what the filter manufacturers say is the reason behind ADBVs.

Thanks, AuthorEditor.

Anyone, I fail to see the purpose of an ADBV in a base up filter, unless it's to hold up an additional column of oil in the engine. It does save on the manufacturer's cost of carrying ADBV and non-ADBV filters in every size, and avoids the liability of installing a non-ADBV filter base down.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
can someone explain how a adbv prevents dry starts?

It helps retain most of the oil in the filter when the engine is turned off.

As I posted before, go look at the test I did to see how much oil was retained in the filter due to the ADBV. In this case, it was basically all the oil between the can and the center core. If there was no ADBV or if the ADBV didn't work well, then a lot more oil would drain out of the filter which would cause a momentary "dry start".

in my case my stainless steel mesh filter has no adbv they flow so fast the oil pressure at first start is instant!! and when i change filter oil always pours out..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back