Horizontal filter causing problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently switched from a thimble sized oil filter to an AA3600. I noticed that if the car has set for a long time (10 hours), and I start it up, the oil pressure light comes on for about a second, and the engine makes a funny noise. WIX shows the 3600 to have a ADBV, but I am wondering if the filter mounted horizontal is canceling it out. I can pop the filter off and put on the original, but I would prefer to have the bigger filter in the car. Any suggestions. Oil level is fine, and actually was overfull when I first checked it. (ARX)

A better filter, also made by purolator, would be the Motorcraft equivalent, the FL400S, which has a silcone ADBV. This filter has quieted several engines that used to drain oil back to the sump when set overnight. It's mainly used for the Ford V6's, but I've used it on Toyotas and others with good results.

Being that I am in Japan is would be easier to get the normal filter that goes on the car rather than getting the FL400S shipped to me. My question is, should I switch back to the OEM size filter, or, in other words, is the temp. lack of lubrication dangerous, or just annoying.

If it is causing a low oil pressure light to pop on that did not pop on before, I personally would switch back to the OEM filter, or try something else.

You may have got a defective filter ??
Try another AA3600 and see what happens .......
popcorn.gif

Typically it's just annoying ..but it scares the heck out of too many people. This is routine for many engines that use the standard Fram over so many miles ..others too.

When you get time, as was suggested, get some longer filters with silicon ADBV. That may not solve your problem completely. With a horizontal mount you don't know if the reason for the noise/delay is the ADBV or the larger volume draining out forward. I would assume the ADBV, but you never know.

I can't really get them here. I may try the other one. I really wish I could try it, because the second ARX treatment I hope will get something out. Unless I stay here for longer, it probably won't get another oil change because of the lack of kms I drive.

Coming back to the USA?? Great opportunity to stock up on the neat stuff. What's the limit now, 50 lbs??

I have friends from 3rd world nations. All of their friends think that they deserve gifts from those who live in "the rich United States". The burden was tremendous when visiting home. Now with some weight restrictions (of some type - maybe per bag
confused.gif
) they're off the hook. Your calamity is that you're in a modern nation ..but can't get what you want.

I see a new thread appearing "Packing for overseas trip- what to bring" (oil, filters, brake clean, etc ..etc..etc...clothes)
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back