Mazda oil filter question

I recently bought a '23 CX-30 w/ 2.5 turbo engine. My wife has a '18 CX-5 2.5 N/A engine. Wix shows them as using the same oil filter, Mazda lists two different filters. I was at the dealer yesterday and service counter guy deferred me to parts guy, he guessed/said because of different oil viscosities. I would like to be able to stock only one filter at the house. Thoughts?

There's a budget OEM filter offering & a more premium filter offering. It sounds like they just stock the basic line & don't want to pay to house the more expensive filter. If running short intervals then the basic filter will suffice. If you want to go w/OLM then I'd recommend the more expensive filter. See which "Version" they're stocking by searching part numbers.

I recently bought a '23 CX-30 w/ 2.5 turbo engine. My wife has a '18 CX-5 2.5 N/A engine. Wix shows them as using the same oil filter, Mazda lists two different filters. I was at the dealer yesterday and service counter guy deferred me to parts guy, he guessed/said because of different oil viscosities. I would like to be able to stock only one filter at the house. Thoughts?
If you use the Mazda filters, use the correct ones for each application. Mazda has a service bulletin for this.

The turbo filter part number in the bulletin has been superseded to 1WPY-14-302.

If you prefer to use aftermarket, use what that filter manufacturer recommends. They have supposedly done the testing on their filters.

I don’t see the big deal about having two part numbers of filters on hand if they are correct. Write Turbo on the filter boxes for the CX-30 and worry about something else.

they are not the same oil filter. i suffered extreme oil pressure loss doing that mistake on my 2018 Mazda 6 signature turbo. and yes there are still people working at Mazda dealerships that still give the wrong oil filter in 2024 when asked for turbo engine oil filter. in my province that is the case.

Last edited:
Sis bought a 2012 Skyaktiv (sp?) 1998cc engine; perhaps the first year for Skyaktiv.
Mazda had a 2l engine already. You'd see the "1998cc" designation for the new Skyaktiv.
Oil filters for each were dimensionally the same. I believe the by-pass pressures differed.
Average makers posted immediate cross-references for these filters.
Better makers like Wix and Hastings needed 6 months to market a different filter for the new engine.

It's old history now but does show you the importance of paying attention.

Usually a turbo version of an engine will have a higher output oil pump, and so it might require a filter with less restriction and/or a higher bypass pressure. You could use the same "turbo" filter for both engines, but I would not use the NA filter on the turbo engine.

Mazda Oil filters, as shown above by @drtyler, come in two designs. If you look at his link, the non turbo application has one white stripe going around the filter. The turbo application has two white stripes going around the filter. The TURBO application will have a 'Y' somewhere in the part number also.

1708541248818.jpg

Mazda Oil filters, as shown above by @drtyler, come in two designs. If you look at his link, the non turbo application has one white stripe going around the filter. The turbo application has two white stripes going around the filter. The TURBO application will have a 'Y' somewhere in the part number also.

View attachment 204701
On the dealer end, they mark the boxes besides with the part number, but with a fairly obvious dot since someone had the genius idea to make the numbers so similar. The current non turbo one is 1WPE-14-302 and the turbo one is 1WPY-14-302. I still have them purposefully out of order on the shelf from when the PY8W existed due to muscle memory.

On the dealer end, they mark the boxes besides with the part number, but with a fairly obvious dot since someone had the genius idea to make the numbers so similar. The current non turbo one is 1WPE-14-302 and the turbo one is 1WPY-14-302. I still have them purposefully out of order on the shelf from when the PY8W existed due to muscle memory.
It can get confusing. My wife has a 2024 CX-5 Non-Turbo and I almost bought a case of the 1WPY filters. My understanding is that would be fine, but do not use the non-turbo ones in a turbo engine. Funny thing is, I don't see any of the after market filter makers making any disctinction between a non turbo and a turbo application. Wix, Purolator, Fram, etc.

It can get confusing. My wife has a 2024 CX-5 Non-Turbo and I almost bought a case of the 1WPY filters. My understanding is that would be fine, but do not use the non-turbo ones in a turbo engine. Funny thing is, I don't see any of the after market filter makers making any disctinction between a non turbo and a turbo application. Wix, Purolator, Fram, etc.
Which is why I always get VINs from customers. Usually they have been here before or bought it here so it is in the matrix, but I would rather "inconvenience" someone for a minute to get their VIN so that I can at least have a fighting chance of getting the right part the first time.

BTW, "inconvenience" was the customer's words one time when I asked for their VIN.

Last edited:
And highly doubtful that you will find a distinction. Like many topics, the Mazda two band "high flow" oil filter has been discussed before. If one is interested can read the linked thread,* it includes discussion of the TSB shown above. I'd say if buying a Mazda OEM filter, use the one Mazda recommends/calls for, because that one will have the filter warranty. If buying an aftermarket, use what they call for /spec, because it too will have the filter warranty.

Back