honda K24 Valve adjustment

BrendanC

$100 site donor 2024
anyone have any tips/recommendations for running an overhead on a K24. long time heavy diesel/fleet mechanic? i’ve never done anything on a honda motor other than oil changes/belts/general maintenance.

I’ve adjusted the valves a few times on my f23a4 Honda engine. Was easy to do and really didn’t require much adjustment anyway. I do it every 60k miles. Mine seem to get a little tight on the exhaust and a little loose on the intake over time.

anyone have any tips/recommendations for running an overhead on a K24. long time heavy diesel/fleet mechanic? i’ve never done anything on a honda motor other than oil changes/belts/general maintenance.
Running an overhead is so diesel mechanic . I have only done a Honda lawn mower.

anyone have any tips/recommendations for running an overhead on a K24. long time heavy diesel/fleet mechanic? I’ve never done anything on a honda motor other than oil changes/belts/general maintenance.
When using a feeler gauge, the correct pressure and feel on it will be like pulling a piece of paper out of a phone book.
Not sure if the younger crowd knows what a phone book or yellow pages are.

Getting a set of these angled feeler gauges will make it much easier to perform the valve adjustments on a Honda K24 engine. I normally put some blue painter's masking tape on the handle of the feeler gauge for the intake valve clearance so you can easily tell at a glance.

Angled Feeler Gauges with Handles

Reactions: hrv
Is this a mileage/service interval thing- or when things get ticky?
Tight valves generally don't tick but are the worst side to be on of the loose/tight equation.

Several of us have been completely befuddled by Honda only recommending they be adjusted if they are noisy in later models.

An I4 Honda valve adjust is a cakewalk.

K20A3 was an easy motor to do it. I'd get the bigger feeler gauge too tight and the smaller too loose and the one in the middle a nice resistance and tighten it up. I broke a stud that held the valve cover on once. Still remember it was like $3 for the bolt and $30 for next day air mailing 🤣

I've been meaning to do this on my sons CRV. If you don't want to overthink it, turn the motor over until the cam lobe is furthest away from opening a particular valve, adjust it and rotate the motor to do the next one...... keep a note pad handy if you are paranoid and keep track.

I've been meaning to do this on my sons CRV. If you don't want to overthink it, turn the motor over until the cam lobe is furthest away from opening a particular valve, adjust it and rotate the motor to do the next one...... keep a note pad handy if you are paranoid and keep track.
Better yet, wipe the adjusters with a rag with some brake cleaner on it and use a paint pen to mark the ones you've adjusted and torqued.

I did 3 K24's in a day last month! They aren't too hard. A super deep socket wrench adjuster thingy like CarLuver linked would have been handy. Also be prepared to bend your shims into a tight J-shape to get them to fit.

I did 3 K24's in a day last month! They aren't too hard. A super deep socket wrench adjuster thingy like CarLuver linked would have been handy. Also be prepared to bend your shims into a tight J-shape to get them to fit.
the angled feeler guage worked for me...

Looks to be similar? to the J35 valves which I have adjusted a few times before.

I used standard hand tools. Only thing I can remember being of note is to make sure you know how a feeler gauge should feel and also getting the right angle of the dangle on slipping the feeler gauge in and out smoothly.

And be sure to triple check your work. It's really pretty straightforward though it may sound intimidating.

Back