2013 Honda Accord 4 Cylinder Valve adjustment, necessary?

I'm taking my dad's Accord to Honda tomorrow for an oil change. I know they're going to recommend getting the valves adjusted. Car has 110k~ miles. I already did the plugs and flushed the coolant at 98k. Trans fluid was replaced twice. Once at 48k. The other one at 98k. Usually, I get the oil changed at my job. But, Honda has a $45+T oil change coupon. So, to Honda, I go.

They want to do a free appraisal of the car. I told them they can go ahead and waste their time since I am not interested in trading the car in 😁😂

If you don't have to take anything else off to remove the valve cover, it's not a complicated job. When you had the coils out to R&R plugs would have been the time to do it.

I did the valve adjustment on my mom's 2011 Fit at 100k miles. A few of the exhaust valves were definitely out of spec, probably not enough to cause damage, but if left like that who knows down the road.

Is it the K24? Had one in my 2008 CR-V. At 100,000 a couple valves were slightly loose, but that was it. I gather K-series tend to loosen rather than tighten. Tightening leads to burned valves, loosening usually they get noisy and you lose power. It was a pretty easy job on my CR-V.

Is it the K24? Had one in my 2008 CR-V. At 100,000 a couple valves were slightly loose, but that was it. I gather K-series tend to loosen rather than tighten. Tightening leads to burned valves, loosening usually they get noisy and you lose power. It was a pretty easy job on my CR-V.
K24 yup

Someone in the Facebook groups said a Honda dealership was charging him $400. That seems steep.
Honda dealers do charge ~$400 (~1.5 hrs) for the valve adjustment on the 4 cyl. K24 motor. If a valve adjustment has never been performed, it should be done every 100K miles as the exhaust valve rocker arm gaps have a tendency to tighten with age, thereby increasing the chance of a burnt valve. At the same time, the intake valves on a K24 usually loosen up or stay the same.

Many years ago I bought a 1990 Honda Civic with the 1.5 L 70-something HP engine. The valves were easily accessible threaded adjusters. The first time I adjusted the valves at around 20k miles, a few of them were slightly out of spec. After that they never went out of spec as long as I owned the car, to about 180k miles.

I did a valve adjustment on my 2008 CRV (K24) last year, about 180k miles. Stop before you chastise, I bought this thing at 160k, my daughter is driving it while at college.

That task cost me about $100 in gasket kit, special socket/screwdriver tool and feeler gauges. No, I didn't have a set of feeler gauges. I don't have any 1970's GM products in the driveway....

Took me about an hour and it wasn't the easiest thing to do, but I would not be paying $400 for it. I think 4-5 valves needed adjustment.

Valve clearance needs to be checked and adjusted when cold. Make sure they leave it overnight.
That rarely happens. People usually remove the valve cover upon arrival and set a large fan over the engine. Once the head gets below 100F (which doesn’t take long), it gets adjusted.

That rarely happens. People usually remove the valve cover upon arrival and set a large fan over the engine. Once the head gets below 100F (which doesn’t take long), it gets adjusted.
I’d be surprised if they even go that far as to put a fan on it and try to cool it at all.

Honda recommends it be done at 100k miles, intakes will loosen, exhaust will tighten up. mine has 75k km and I will go over next oil change. You should have done it while the plugs were out to ease turn over the engine.

Back