Honda Accord vs Mazda 6 (base models)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
That's cheesy.

Not cheesy at all when it's time to get a second set of wheels for winter.
smile.gif

I always thought that the Honda used TPMS valve stems. AT least I know they did in 2012 models and they also do NOT have replaceable battery. Replacing them is expensive proposition! Does newer Honda went back using speed sensor monitoring?

Thanks for the replies. It's been a long time since I was in a Honda dealership and I'm not used to hearing that they are offering discounts. If the Accord LX can truly be had under 20 grand, I don't know that I would need to look anywhere else.

To address some of the other comments (in no particular order)

1) I look to build a relationship with a car dealer. I've had company cars for at least half my adult life. They are rarely delivered by the dealer that is most convenient to me, so I end up having dealer-type service done at a different dealer than the one who actually made money on the sale. There is a distinct difference in availability of things like loaner cars and appointments when the car is being serviced at a 3rd party dealer. I believe that's the way it should be. The customers who actually support your business should come first.

I don't really want to have to own my own car again. If I must, I want to build a relationship with my local dealer. The best way to start that is to become a customer. I'm in sales and the reason I am so successful that other companies are actively recruiting me is because I take care of my customers. I reward loyalty. I expect the same when I am on the other side of the transaction.

2) Not too interested in dealer inventory trades. I bought a new Maxima in 1996. I wanted a black on black SE, 5 speed with every single factory installed option available. My dealer located the car at another dealer and when it was delivered, it had gold plated emblems and a white/turquoise pinstripe. I rejected it. They found another. It had over 300 miles on it when it arrived. I rejected that one too. My dealer was very gracious about it, but it took several weeks to sort the situation out. No thanks. Plus, I have always found the best deals possible are on the cars the dealer is sitting on.

3) I'm not worried about power from either car. My current company vehicle is a base Chevy Equinox. Lots of press and individuals decrying how slow it is. It's not. It's more than adequate for daily driving. I never find myself feeling under-gunned. It doesn't exactly make a pleasant sound under load, but it does the job just fine. Any Accord, Mazda6, Camry, Fusion, Malibu, etc will do the job just fine. If I need speed, I'll hop on two wheels.

4) Manual trans is not a must have, in fact it's probably the only flaw in my thinking. An automatic would be more practical, but I can't escape the feeling that manuals are going away fast and that they will be completely unavailable in cars like these in a few years. I guess I just want one last shot at actually feeling like I'm in some kind of control of my car. I may wise up and go for an auto, in which case I will widen the options to include the Fusion, Camry, Sonata and (ugh) Passat. I'm not a big fan of VW, but since we already own a Jetta, the 2 grand incentive applies. I expect that to increase in addition to some desperate dealers giving these cars away. I believe it is possible that a mid-level Passat could sell between 12 and 13 grand by the end of the year. That's where it would have to be to get me in one. Maybe.

5)The Accord sport it nice and offers silver with the MT which would be my preference. The LX is only black and grey. I just don't want to fool with 19" wheels. It's not an absolute deal breaker for me, but I'm not willing to pay a dollar more for a Sport than an LX so that I get more noise, a harder ride, more chance for damaged wheels on these awful roads and more expensive replacement tires.

I really like both cars (as much as you can without driving them) but I suppose that between these two, I'm leaning more toward the Accord. I expect that both will be good, solid cars but I simply can't ignore the financials. If I trade this car in on a new one in 5 years with around 150K on it, I am convinced that the Accord will have more value. It's popularity and reputation pretty much guarantee it.

If I end up taking the job, I'll let you guys know which way I went. If not, I'll happily keep driving the Equinox for another 2 years until they hand me the keys to a new one.

Thanks again.

Interesting topic. I'm starting my shopping for a new replacement vehicle and have narrowed it down to an Accord, Mazda 6 or a Passat. Pretty much all of what's left of sedans with a MT. If I brought the wife a car with an auto tranny I'm pretty sure she'd take the gas can out of the garage and burn it to the ground.
mad.gif

Like you, logic and reason tell me to get the Honda. While Mazda makes nice cars, in my experience their engines seem to wear out at what would be the mid-point in the life-cycle of a Honda. I just HATE working on VWs, so the price point on a Passat would have to be low enough for me to get over that revulsion.

I have not had any luck finding reasonable Honda dealers locally. None of them have a MT Accord in stock, and their pricing is not much off of list, plus an up yours Doc fee. I'm willing to travel to find a MT LX Accord for around $20k if anyone finds a dealer willing to talk.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
I have not had any luck finding reasonable Honda dealers locally. None of them have a MT Accord in stock, and their pricing is not much off of list, plus an up yours Doc fee. I'm willing to travel to find a MT LX Accord for around $20k if anyone finds a dealer willing to talk.

Any color preference?

I'll get some online quotes for you going at three LV dealers and let you know. This one has 3k miles for $19,600:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: BRZED
Life is too short for a bland car. Get the Mazda.

I've had two new vehicles from Mazda. Each sucked. '92 B2200 pickup. '00 MPV mini van. I've also had Honda since 1981. Never a problem unlike Mazda.

81 Civic wagon, 91 Accord, 98 Civic, 00 Accord, 10 Civic. Never once an issue with Honda. The 91 Accord, without airbags, was totaled three times (we just kept repairing it and easily). Each time the occupants (including pregnant wife and child) walked away unscathed.

Last edited:
Better link:

http://www.goudyhonda.com/used-inventory/used-cars-los-angeles/2015-Honda-Accord-Sedan-LX-$19600-1HGCR2E36FA036667

There's a few manuals out there but all about 200 miles from LV.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I'm looking for new. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned a closeout price for a new 2015 Accord of $19.5k. That, or around $1k more for a 2016 M6 would meet my goal.

As for color, I think they only have a couple. I'd take anything but black.

Only two colors available, black and gray. Galpin Honda and Escondido Honda both have one new gray Accord in stock. Both are 2015's. Escondido also has a 2016 manual(prob $1k more) in stock. Both dealers are 200+ miles away in CA. Found them by plugging in the data on autotrader.

http://www.hondaofescondido.com/inventory.aspx?_vstatus=3,4,5&_new=true&_make=honda&_model=accord+sedan&_trim=lx&_transclass=1

Last edited:
The sport has a lot going for it. You can sell the 19s in about 2 seconds to some honda ricers. I would replace them with some lightweight 17s or 16s and gain some real performance.

The LX really doesn't leave much out, but i love the leather wheel and other bits of leather in the sport.

Originally Posted By: dareo
The sport has a lot going for it. You can sell the 19s in about 2 seconds to some honda ricers. I would replace them with some lightweight 17s or 16s and gain some real performance.

The LX really doesn't leave much out, but i love the leather wheel and other bits of leather in the sport.

VTEC just kicked in yo

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Very cool satinsilver. Thanks for the technique!

You bet and I sent you a PM with pricing.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
I've had two new vehicles from Mazda. Each sucked. '92 B2200 pickup. '00 MPV mini van.

Nope, you owned two Fords masquerading as a Mazda.

Well, the pickup was 100% Ford, and the MPV was a mixture of Ford Drivetrain and Mazda body.
Not the best combination, and can't be compared against any of today's Mazda's, save the CX-9, which is a Mazda body with a Ford drivetrain, but is only 15 years newer in when you compare it to your MPV.

Ford and Mazda have both improved over the past 15 years.
Some would say that Mazda has improved much more than Ford has.

And neither of your previous Mazda's are even in the same vehicle class as the Mazda being considered by the OP.

BC.

So it looks like I've finally hammered out the deal I need to take the new job. Thus, I need a car.

I've been thinking long and hard about giving up the utility and convenience of a CUV. The VW Golf Sportwagen has caught my eye. Price looks good for the base model. Good fuel economy with all the space and versatility of a CUV. I don't really care about AWD. Anytime the weather is bad enough to call for AWD, I've really got not reason to be out on the roads. If I got a CUV, it would most likely be FWD anyway.

Can't believe I am seriously considering a VW, but with the loyalty cash and a motivated dealer, I think I can get the car for the right price. I'm thinking twice and thrice about the manual. As much as I like them, a manual is probably a bad idea on a daily driver doing 25K+ miles a year. Some of that in ridiculous traffic.

Gonna try to take one with the automatic for a spin tomorrow.

The sportwagen is a ton of car for the cash, especially if you can get loyalty credit. I dont know how they sell so few of them but it gives you an exclusive car. It is a vw so it will probably break more often than a honda but who knows. I have a hard time deciding if i like the wifes accord or my sportwagen the most.

I decided to check out the base Subaru Forester as due diligence. Dealer only had no manuals so I drove the CVT.

Hated it. The CVT is awful and the car is way too loud under load. It's also not exactly quick. My FWD, 4-cyl Equinox is much better in just about every way. Too bad, I wanted to like it.

The VW is looking very good right now.

It's been a long time since your original post.
What are your newer more updated requirements and desires in the new vehicle?

BC.

Why 19 inch wheels on a Honda with so little horsepower ?

Sure the 2016 Accord Sport looks great, silly for such a low performance car with BIG wheels and tires.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
So it looks like I've finally hammered out the deal I need to take the new job. Thus, I need a car.

I've been thinking long and hard about giving up the utility and convenience of a CUV. The VW Golf Sportwagen has caught my eye. Price looks good for the base model. Good fuel economy with all the space and versatility of a CUV. I don't really care about AWD. Anytime the weather is bad enough to call for AWD, I've really got not reason to be out on the roads. If I got a CUV, it would most likely be FWD anyway.

Can't believe I am seriously considering a VW, but with the loyalty cash and a motivated dealer, I think I can get the car for the right price. I'm thinking twice and thrice about the manual. As much as I like them, a manual is probably a bad idea on a daily driver doing 25K+ miles a year. Some of that in ridiculous traffic.

Gonna try to take one with the automatic for a spin tomorrow.

I'd try the stick. I know what you mean, but I've rarely had a problem with "tired leg" or "tired knee" across three different vehicles. But I do mostly highway, albeit a bit of MA's glorious 495 on occasion. After driving my auto non-stop for six months... every little thing it does wrong, irks me.

At one point, after driving a manual for years (but before getting this truck), I had to rent a car. Which had an auto. I found my right foot starting to hurt in traffic! Was not used to a vehicle creeping at a stop. Still am not today--once in a while I'll find my truck inching along at an intersection. Very unnatural for me. Much prefer shifting to neutral and using only the slightest pressure on the brake to stay in one spot (when stuck at a light, or just stuck).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back