Honda Accord vs Mazda 6 (base models)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised that you can't find the Mazdas with manual transmission. There are quite a few Mazda 3,6, CX5 on lots with 3 pedals on the floor

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I agree on an LX MT, though at 30k/year, hybrid may be a good choice.

300k is likely the break even point for price premium for hybrid vs base model/stick and fuel savings. The risk is a bit higher for expensive drivetrain related repairs vs a simple 2.4L motor coupled to manual gear box.

I agree.

A new Honda Sport is $24,200. The Hybrid is $29,300. ......
So, the different is $5,100. The Hybrid will get 48-50 mpg's all day. I have 3 good friends who have these and drive the wheels off them. I have several friends, including myself, who have base model Accords, and we get 28-32 mpg's with our non-hybrid Accords. So, giving you the biggest margin in your favor, the Hybrid will get 48 mpg's and the regular sedan will get 32. That's 16 mpg's difference.

Assume you drive in 100,000 miles, at $2.50/gallon, the hybrid fuel cost would be $5,208/100k miles. The non-hybrid would be: $7,813/100k. So, the cost savings would be: $2605/100k miles.

So, theoretically, it would take you about 200k miles to break even....but oh yeah, electricity isn't free. The cost of power here in Indiana is cheap. So, I suspect the break even point would be around 250k miles.

The base LX with manual is 2k cheaper then Sport. So the price difference between cars is actually $7100. 2k buys a lot of fuel!

Um, my hybrid was a hair over $25k including destination, and before any trades or anything else.

And what's to say that the OP who is given a nice stipend wants the base car, which has undersized rotors amongst other means of pulling out cost (not as nice fabric, etc)?

Originally Posted By: pottymouth

Truthfully, my brain says go with the Accord but that Mazda is just so [censored] pretty. I should know in the next 2 weeks if I'm going to make this move or not.

Looking at pics of red mazda 6 cars online, I agree!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Surprised that you can't find the Mazdas with manual transmission. There are quite a few Mazda 3,6, CX5 on lots with 3 pedals on the floor

There's a few around, but the closest base Sport is 44 miles from me. That's not ideal. If the car needs warranty work, I'm no too excited about those logistics. There's a Honda dealer about 8 miles from my house with several Accords that fit the bill, and 4 more within 20 miles.

Is the closest Mazda dealer 44 miles?!? In NJ?

Any dealer is obligated to do warranty work IIRC.

Is the closest Mazda dealer 44 miles?!? In NJ?

Any dealer is obligated to do warranty work IIRC.

The closest Mazda dealer with the right model in stock is 44 miles away. There are closer dealers, but manuals are like hen's teeth. Especially on the base model. So much for Zoom Zoom...

Any dealer service required will be performed at the dealer I buy the car from. It's my preference.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
Any dealer service required will be performed at the dealer I buy the car from. It's my preference.

That's just odd.

Okay, do this then:

Go to your closest Mazda dealer, and work a deal on a car similar to the one that is 44 miles away. Then see if they will do a dealer trade for it. If they do, then you have your car, without having to travel 44 miles.

Then again, what do I know?
My wife and I drove 786 miles to pick up a Fiat 500 at a dealer in Texas, we also rode 64 miles to buy 2 Ducati's at a dealer 60 miles north of us, and my friend and I rode 80 miles south to buy a Ducati down there.

And no, we wouldn't ever care about where we would need to get the car serviced at.

Buying the car is about final transaction price.
Servicing the car is about quality of work compared to convenience of location.
If the closest Mazda dealer just happened to be next door to your office, why in the world would you drive 44 miles to get the oil changed? That's just silly.

BC.

I don't really know how the dealer trades work, but it wasn't an issue for my Chevy dealer. We figured out a price and 2 days later it showed up.
Or just order one? There must be some manuals on a boat at moment, then your dealer will get one of them.

I just turned in my 2013 Accord Sport
36 month lease was up.
Like the Mazda both are noisy
Both get about the same MPG

I did not like the Paint on my Honda- very thin
After 21K miles the 18" rims were peeling and a few other cosmetic issues. MPG was superb.

I sat in a 2015 Civic and it wasn't much smaller and the "16" Civic will be bigger. I think I'd go that route and pocket the $5k

The Accord Sport is quite a good car. Especially with the manual transmission. It will also retain resale value better.

I much prefer the Accord over the Mazda. The reason I prefer it, is that it's, in my opinion, a better quality car. I like the way it's built. I like the engine, it's known lifespan, the ride, the handling, the repair history.

I helped a friend purchase an Accord Sport. He loves it.

In real world reports, over at "www.truedelta.com" the Honda shows to be twice as reliable as the Mazda.

Um, my hybrid was a hair over $25k including destination, and before any trades or anything else.

And what's to say that the OP who is given a nice stipend wants the base car, which has undersized rotors amongst other means of pulling out cost (not as nice fabric, etc)?

When you bought your hybrid likely on 2015 clearance sale of Honda(I was looking) LX 6mt were offered at local dealer for $19.5k inc dest. So back onto the $5.5k difference.

My wife has a 2007 mazda 6 and the handling on that car is REALLY good.
With that being said, mazdas have issues with rust compared to hondas.

I have a 2004 Mazda 6 with a manual transmission and 161K miles. As far as the chassis goes, it's the highest quality car I've ever had. All the things like doors/handles, windows, the way all the basic stuff works, everything is good. Very competent car and still looks good.

Buy American, get the Accord.

But seriously, i'm quite happy with my wifes '14 sport 6mt. It has amazing power for a non turbo 4 cylinder and gas mileage is good.

Accord's get big discounts haggled on all the time. Accord will win in resale later.

There is no real economic reason to buy a Mazda 6.

You'll probably find the Accord's engine to be livelier and many owners report being able to exceed window sticker MPG. The difference in handling is minor enough that you'll probably do better overall to take the interior comfort of Accord. Then there's resale. This is probably why, even though the 6 is a very good car, it doesn't sell very well. It's not as easy to make a case for over Accord as one might think.

BTW my stepdad has a '15 Accord Sport and other than getting used to the CVT he loves it. It's solid, handles well, comfortable, and looks like a more expensive car than it is with those wheels.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gofast182
You'll probably find the Accord's engine to be livelier and many owners report being able to exceed window sticker MPG. The difference in handling is minor enough that you'll probably do better overall to take the interior comfort of Accord. Then there's resale. This is probably why, even though the 6 is a very good car, it doesn't sell very well. It's not as easy to make a case for over Accord as one might think.

BTW my stepdad has a '15 Accord Sport and other than getting used to the CVT he loves it. It's solid, handles well, comfortable, and looks like a more expensive car than it is with those wheels.

The 6 sells very well. Not sure where you get your info. There is also a big difference in the quality and comfort of the mazda over the honda.

Mazda doesn't move many vehicles because they don't make many. They have no problems selling the ones they make.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The 6 sells very well. Not sure where you get your info. There is also a big difference in the quality and comfort of the mazda over the honda.

Mazda doesn't move many vehicles because they don't make many. They have no problems selling the ones they make.

It's more like Mazda doesn't have as many dealers as Honda and Toyota.

My mom just bought a new Grand Touring model Mazda 6. It replaced a '95 Chevy Lumina that lost the transmission at 200K+ miles.

The 6 is white with tan leather. Its a really nice looking vehicle. She figures this will be her last car. Hopefully its going to be as hassle free as her Lumina.

All Mazda6 models are "Sport" in that you are getting the exact same suspension and drivetrain from the entry level Sport to the $30K Grand Touring model. The entry level w/ 6 speed manual gearbox is so far superior in driving dynamics and comes with 17" alloys standard. I've driven both vehicles extensively and if you want a solid reliable vehicle that has Aston Martin like styling...buy the Mazda. With regard to made in USA, the previous gen Mazda6 was made in MI and the build quality of the new 6 (Made in Japan) is like night and day. I love buying USA, but only if quality is equal or better which is usually NOT the case.

Great thing about the Mazda6 is most people think it looks like a much more expensive car than it is. The Accord is a great, reliable car...I just don't like to see my mirror image at every stoplight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back