Honda 5W-30 maintenance study in 2008 Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda did confirm that total engine revolutions and number of cold starts has an effect on the OLM. Anything else, like you say, is just speculation.

On a sidenote, I will be posting a UOA in a couple weeks for a 16,000mi sample of Amsoil 0w-30 using an EaO filter. Yeah I know, I'm excited too.

Televe - That's so funny. I'm about 3-4 months away from an SSO 0w30 change I'm going to do at 16,000 miles.

Maybe I'll see yours and decide to one up you by going an extra 1000 miles :0

Joe

Nah, I already have a UOA from 14,500 miles on SSO....it did great. IIRC, TBN was around 3.2 at the end. But I was also adding a quart every 4.2k miles or so....that's decreased to about 1 quart every 6k miles.

Joe

The original plan was to hang on until 20,000... but I'm chicken. I've only needed 1/5th of a quart to keep it topped off so the oil looks black-ish.

Getting a bit anxious.

cderalow:

If I owed a Civic, I wouldn't be obsessive about engine oil and start worrying about the auto trans as they "grenade" with surprising regularity. Hondas Civics have gained a reputation for blown automatic transmissions as of late. I would only buy one with a manual transmission, do some searches on the internet. Change that trans fluid as often as possible.

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
cderalow:

If I owed a Civic, I wouldn't be obsessive about engine oil and start worrying about the auto trans as they "grenade" with surprising regularity. Hondas Civics have gained a reputation for blown automatic transmissions as of late. I would only buy one with a manual transmission, do some searches on the internet. Change that trans fluid as often as possible.

Just a heads up....the Si has only ever been made with a manual transmission.

The Civic Si only comes in manual.
wink.gif

EDIT: haha, beaten to it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

Is the 4 door Civic Si really worth the extra money over the 4 door Civic Ex ?

Depends on what you're looking for in a Civic. The Si is quite a different animal than the R18 powered Civics (LX/EX) with 60 more HP stock (more like 70 since dyno results seem to point to the Si being underrated), a close ratio 6-speed manual, LSD, totally different handling characteristics, better brakes, etc. It's also a better platform to start with if you enjoy tuning.

And if you enjoy paying out the rear to your insurance provider...

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

And if you enjoy paying out the rear to your insurance provider...

I know, insurance is a real killer
56.gif
. Let's see here, my current 6-month premium for my Si is $284.10 for 100k/300k/100k and $500 deductible living in California. Is $570/year really that bad?

Seriously though, my CR-V is cheaper but there ain't much cheaper than a CR-V to insure!

LOL.gif

I don't see that as a relevant complaint. If you're looking for a car that makes driving fun, you'll almost certainly be paying a little more for insurance no matter what you buy.

Plus, I don't think the Civic Si is exactly a nightmare to insure. I looked at one once and IIRC it was only going to cost me marginally more to insure than a humdrum Civic.

EDIT: I was 24 at the time, BTW.

Last edited:
Interesting,but the sump capacity is not 2,is it? What is the source of the 15 micron rating? Good to see the fuel come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back