Super Tech Advanced Full Syn. 5W-30 / 2,192mi OCI - 57,000mi / 2014 Mitsubishi Evolution GSR, 4B11T 2.0L Turbo

Just an experiment with the Supertech Advanced 5w-30 & my 57k mile 2014 Evo X. It’s got a stock turbo, fuel system & an intake + catback (tuned). I really don’t drive it that much anymore hence the 2,192mi & 1 year interval oil change. No track time was completed on this OCI, just a year’s worth of normal driving.

Blackstone got the results back to me in 15 business days. How does the analysis look? I normally use Amsoil SS 5w-30 & Castrol Edge EP 5w-30 from the gold bottle off of the counter when needed but decided to give this a try.

IMG_4056.jpeg

I'd keep up the yearly, low mileage OCI and this inexpensive oil did a great job. My car realistically could go one oil change a year (I drive about 7k mi per year), but I like to get under my car at least twice a year for visual examination, so I do it every 6 months. That's why I don't recommend going less than 1x a year. If something happens under there that could be caught with visual exam while changing oil, it's better to spot it sooner than later.

Barium is almost always zero. I wonder where the 1ppm is coming from in 5 out of 6 samples?

What oil was used for the other 5 samples on this report? You mentioned Amsoil and Castrol, but I don't see Titanium ever being at Castrol Edge levels in the previous reports.

Just an experiment with the Supertech Advanced 5w-30 & my 57k mile 2014 Evo X. It’s got a stock turbo, fuel system & an intake + catback (tuned). I really don’t drive it that much anymore hence the 2,192mi & 1 year interval oil change. No track time was completed on this OCI, just a year’s worth of normal driving.

Blackstone got the results back to me in 15 business days. How does the analysis look? I normally use Amsoil SS 5w-30 & Castrol Edge EP 5w-30 from the gold bottle off of the counter when needed but decided to give this a try.

View attachment 208297
SuperTech Full Synthetic (all varieties: Full Synthetic, High Mileage Full Synthetic, Advanced Full Synthetic)
is a great oil that is Dexo 1 Gen 3 certified and has been used for years by many BITOG members. It's a "tried and true" oil.

Time is a very important aspect of an OCI (equally important to miles).

For short trippers in cold weather, sludge can form due to moisture in the oil (even if only driven 2,000 miles a year).

I do 4k mile / 6 month OCI (whichever comes first) to avoid that issue.

With the known fuel discrepancies at Blackstone, I'd be curious to know some legit fuel numbers from another lab, OAI, Wearcheck, etc.

I know it's a high performance situation, but that's a lot of "sheering" in only 2100 miles. Modern oils, even cheaper oils like ST, shouldn't be sheering like that in such a short interval, IMO.

With the known fuel discrepancies at Blackstone, I'd be curious to know some legit fuel numbers from another lab, OAI, Wearcheck, etc.

I know it's a high performance situation, but that's a lot of "sheering" in only 2100 miles. Modern oils, even cheaper oils like ST, shouldn't be sheering like that in such a short interval, IMO.
Sheering? Are you installing drapes?

You are correct that with a Blackstone analysis one has no real information to determine if a viscosity deviation is due to mechanical shear of the VM or is due to fuel dilution. Most are caused by fuel dilution and therefore would have relatively little to do with the oil. Dilution is dilution.

A CHAD way to test it yourself would be to use a monograde oil and retest.

I've used Supertech Advanced before and I believe on the bottle it says 1 yr/20,000 miles or follow your oil life monitor, excludes severe service. Driving only a couple thousand miles over a one year period might be considered severe service due to a lot of shorts trips. Regardless, the wear numbers in this situation are acceptable, it's a good oil.

As you well know modern RC or "Resource Conserving" oils are being made on the thin side of their viscosity range these days. Then you get an oil that looks like it's been beat to death from shear, in just 3k, but it really hasn't it's just a low starting visc. I'm tired of seeing these water levels myself. Regardless, the lower visc made no difference in this run compared to the others so it's fine for the miles.

As you well know modern RC or "Resource Conserving" oils are being made on the thin side of their viscosity range these days. Then you get an oil that looks like it's been beat to death from shear but it really hasn't yet, just a low starting visc. I'm tired of seeing these water levels myself. Regardless, the lower visc made no difference in this run compared to the others so it's fine.
Made no difference in regards to the spectrographic analysis. There are other issues with fuel dilution which aren't visible on an inexpensive UOA.

I've used Supertech Advanced before and I believe on the bottle it says 1 yr/20,000 miles or follow your oil life monitor, excludes severe service. Driving only a couple thousand miles over a one year period might be considered severe service due to a lot of shorts trips. Regardless, the wear numbers in this situation are acceptable, it's a good oil.
Yes but fuel dilution causes issues which will not be apparent on a UOA.

Judging by the tbn you can go 2x as far or more on the oil
I probably won’t run it past 3k, the normal OCI, due to the lowered viscosity that occurred in just a few thousand miles. It’s cheap so that helps to just swap it out without breaking the bank.

I probably won’t run it past 3k, the normal OCI, due to the lowered viscosity that occurred in just a few thousand miles. It’s cheap so that helps to just swap it out without breaking the bank.
Nothing wrong with the end viscosity. This Advanced oil (vs the 10k ) starts thinner - plus Blackstone has uncommon methods to determine dilution.

I've used this 20k stuff and it appears to do a much better job than the 10k version.

I'd buy it again, if I got in a money pinch. Thankfully my wife's rich now.
Yes Honey, I'm coming right now.

SuperTech Full Synthetic (all varieties: Full Synthetic, High Mileage Full Synthetic, Advanced Full Synthetic)
is a great oil that is Dexo 1 Gen 3 certified and has been used for years by many BITOG members. It's a "tried and true" oil.

Time is a very important aspect of an OCI (equally important to miles).

For short trippers in cold weather, sludge can form due to moisture in the oil (even if only driven 2,000 miles a year).

I do 4k mile / 6 month OCI (whichever comes first) to avoid that issue.
So you're suggesting to bring the OCI interval on time to 6 months? With how cheap this oil and how I like to work on cars I don't mind... just wondering about the opinion.

I'd keep up the yearly, low mileage OCI and this inexpensive oil did a great job. My car realistically could go one oil change a year (I drive about 7k mi per year), but I like to get under my car at least twice a year for visual examination, so I do it every 6 months. That's why I don't recommend going less than 1x a year. If something happens under there that could be caught with visual exam while changing oil, it's better to spot it sooner than later.

Barium is almost always zero. I wonder where the 1ppm is coming from in 5 out of 6 samples?

What oil was used for the other 5 samples on this report? You mentioned Amsoil and Castrol, but I don't see Titanium ever being at Castrol Edge levels in the previous reports.

All samples except for ODO 43,596mi were Amsoil SS 5w-30. Sample 33,926mi included one track day consisting of 3 20min sessions on a hot day.

Sample 43,596mi was a Valvoline 5w30 that i wanted to try. I ran the Castrol EP 5w30 gold bottle around 12K and 15K and got decent results with it so Amsoil and the cheaper Castrol it was. I attached a sample Castrol report.

12k_.jpg

That's old product Castrol Edge EP. Current spec is SP. That's not even the one prior (SN Plus). It appears to be SN.
Are you sure this is GF5/6 5w30? Or is this Castrol Edge Euro 5w30?

Check the jug front and see if you posted it incorrectly. If not, what's the date on the jug...... 2018/19?

Last edited:
That's old product Castrol Edge EP. Current spec is SP. That's not even the one prior (SN Plus). It appears to be SN.
Are you sure this is GF5/6 5w30? Or is this Castrol Edge Euro 5w30?

Check the jug front and see if you posted it incorrectly. If not, what's the date on the jug...... 2018/19?

I never use Euro products and these results are definitely old so they would be based on formulas that were available at the sample date. I don’t have the bottles but the oil wasp from the gold bottles, EDGE Extended Protection, 5w30, full syn.

I never use Euro products and these results are definitely old so they would be based on formulas that were available at the sample date. I don’t have the bottles but the oil wasp from the gold bottles, EDGE Extended Protection, 5w30, full syn.
The spectrographic analysis doesn't tell you how the oil performed. It is a (very limited) window into how your engine operates under the specific conditions during the OCI.

So you're suggesting to bring the OCI interval on time to 6 months? With how cheap this oil and how I like to work on cars I don't mind... just wondering about the opinion.
I believe the cars with the most sludge are the grandma cars that are short tripped for 2,000 a year with annual oil changes.
Time is very important. 6 months is my maximum interval.

Back