Holy Purolator Flip Flop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: robd
What I also noticed was that the bypass valve took an extreme amount of force just to open off its seat compared to other brands of filters used on this vehicle. I know this is very unscientific but the amount of force to open was almost ridiculous. I think Purolator may have something bad going on with their bypass valves causing deformation of the media and tears on cold starts or higher flow. This particular one has the bypass valve with the circular leaf spring.

The whole spiral leaf spring bypass valve design has been discussed a few times. You're not the first guy to think it's too stiff, but if you actually measured the force to make it crack open, and then measure the effective area that the delta-p acts on, you will calculate that it cracks open in the PSI range that Purolator says it should.

That bypass valve design is also used on many Purolator filters that don't show any signs of media tears. I've said it a dozen times in these threads, the media tears because the pleats on both sides of the seam are spaced out too wide, and potted into the end caps with too much of a "V" shape. The force produced by the oil flowing into the sides of those pleats causes too much side force on the pleat, and the media ends up tearing/failing at ends of the pleats where they are glued into the end cap.

I am aware of how to calculate the psi required to open ( Mech Engineer), but I can honestly say for the same size valve surface area the Purolator takes a lot more pressure to open when compared to other brands. I didn't take the time or effort to actually measure the force required to open the valve but it was extremely high compared to other brands.

Last edited:
I am aware of how to calculate the psi required to open ( Mech Engineer), but I can honestly say for the same size valve surface area the Purolator takes a lot more pressure to open when compared to other brands. I didn't take the time or effort to actually measure the force required to open the valve but it was extremely high compared to other brands.

Do the measurements, then get back with the reported calculated data. I've done it on a Purolator some time ago, and the bypass valve is design to crack open in the specified range given by Purolator.

If you find it's way off on the filter you're looking at, then maybe something has gone wrong with their manufacturing where the valve's function is out of spec.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Glad you checked, we need some pics of the "train wreck" though please.

Yep, pics please.
smile.gif

I'm not doubting you. I believe you but the 10 minutes I looked at this filter compared to another filter I had lying around and others I seen before there was a drastic difference in the force required to open the bypass and how far it was able to open compared to coil spring designs (how much flow it could pass in relief). It may be this one filter but I just thought I would throw this out for discussion. The filter in question was used during some very cold weather (-15F) this past winter.

Last edited:
I'm not doubting you. I believe you but the 10 minutes I looked at this filter compared to another filter I had lying around and others I seen before there was a drastic difference in the force required to open the bypass and how far it was able to open compared to coil spring designs (how much flow it could pass in relief). It may be this one filter but I just thought I would throw this out for discussion. The filter in question was used during some very cold weather (-15F) this past winter.

What does Purolator specify for bypass valve setting on that filter. You can find it on Purolator's website.

Purolator bypass opens 8-16 psi and WIX opens 8-11 psi per their websites. Amount of flow each valve can pass at a particular bypass pressure is still unknown.

Last edited:
Quote:
.... I think Purolator may have something bad going on with their bypass valves causing deformation of the media and tears on cold starts or higher flow. This particular one has the bypass valve with the circular leaf spring.

Otoh, I've used at least a dozen PL14610's and their variants including AAP Total Grip and also Bosch Distance Plus, all of which use the flat bypass spring design and never had tear issue. Below are just latest examples of that fact, all which were run substantial oci's of 6.5-13.5K miles. So based on my personal experience, I don't believe the flat spring bypass design to be 'the' issue. The last link is to the latest PL14610 posted here with a 16k oci and no tear.

PL14610 ~7800 miles oci

PL14610 ~6500mi. oci.

Bosch Dist.Plus ~13.5k mi. oci.

PL14610 ~16k mi. oci.

Looks like I'm done with Purolator, Mobil 1 and the better Fram filters for me going forward. I was on the fence about Purolator filters years ago when they changed to the puke colored paint, and there were reports of paint flecks inside the filters. Now torn media keeps popping up too. I gave them the benefit of the doubt.
21.gif
Now it's no thanks Purolator for me.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Looks like I'm done with Purolator, Mobil 1 and the better Fram filters for me going forward. I was on the fence about Purolator filters years ago when they changed to the puke colored paint, and there were reports of paint flecks inside the filters. Now torn media keeps popping up too. I gave them the benefit of the doubt.
21.gif
27.gif

Same here, Bro.

Got a bunch of M1 Ext. Performance on sale at Amazon.

So it'll be M1's or NAPA Gold's going forward.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
21.gif
27.gif

Same here, Bro.

Got a bunch of M1 Ext. Performance on sale at Amazon.

So it'll be M1's or NAPA Gold's going forward.
thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif
NAPA Gold?? Food for thought! I keep forgetting about those filters, but then again there aren't any NAPA stores near me.

My filter of choice has been the black Bosch Premiums. I've read that these are actually P1's now. I Do I need to start considering a filter change?

I did just get a couple MANN filters off RockAuto and I was very impressed with the precieved quality..haven't opened one yet to see for sure. I don't hear much about MANN filters so if anyone has any info on them please chime in.

I have read that the MANN is a very well built filter not sure about the media performance .

Was in the store last month and checked the pure 1s and the syn filters,, all of them had paint flecks inside! Mann is now made by Purocraptor!

And the WCOD strikes again .... Quick - everyone jump on the Fram bandwagon!

Honestly, I think Puro is beginning to show some trending for failures here. Admittedly this is PURELY anecdotal at this point, but we're seeing memebers find this kind of failure mode more frequently. It's completely plausible to think that Puro had (has) a problem. They are not immune to the world of manufacturing defects. Where it began and for how long we'll see it run is anyone's guess.

thumbsup2.gif
NAPA Gold?? Food for thought! I keep forgetting about those filters, but then again there aren't any NAPA stores near me.

Wix is the same as NAPA Gold, so see who has those around you.
smile.gif

Has anyone found this problem on the 10111 because I haven't seen it mentioned. As mentioned in other threads this issue may be model specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back