Pure One PL14610 ~6500 mi. Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used on a Honda Accord to 15% MM and 1 year. Typical results for me with this filter, no issues. Adbv still pliable and in good shape. Considered running it twice, but have good size stash so just replaced with same. Currently the PL14610 can be obtained at AAP for ~$4.25 using a 30% off online code. Typical 51 pleats excluding metal seam and ~109sq. in. media area.

Looks like it did a good job! I have seen too many have issues though, so I will stick with OEM or FRAM.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Looks like it did a good job! I have seen too many have issues though, so I will stick with OEM or FRAM.

Really? Thought the Pure Ones were well regarded?!

Looks good ... pleats are straighter than most.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: gregk24

Really? Thought the Pure Ones were well regarded?!

I haven't seen many issues with the PureOne. The Classic seems to have more issues - ie, media tearing. I think the media in the Classic is stiffer and tears easier than in the PureOne, so if a pleat gets folded over from oil flow it can tear the media at the base of the pleat where it's glued to the end cap. Never seen that happen with a PureOne though.

Yup I have a couple of P1's waiting their turn. I've had good experiences with them in the past and have never had an issue.

Think that is the same filter I use on my Harley. I also use them on most auto applications unless I get a filter on a deal. Never ever had a problem with these filters. And I have never heard of anyone having a problem with them either. Will continue to use them routinely. Great filters. Thanks for sharing.

Same filter for me on Armada for nearly 70k. I cut em open and so far haven't seen a bad one yet. I do 7500 OCI on them.

... Thought the Pure Ones were well regarded?!

As can be seen from the majority comments on this thread and others I'd say that's generally true. There have been some less than positive anecdotes posted here and there, though from reading this board some that focus on them alone may have no great like for Purolator filters to begin with. They might also forget that even the vaunted Fram Ultra had an issue posted here not that long ago. Didn't note the same sky is falling comments with that.

I can only go with my experience, which has always been typical to the posted PL14610. It looks similar to the one I posted in this thread last year. And even the first pic of a PL14610 I used back in 2010, showed the same results as posted in this thread. Never had any complaints and always had satisfactory results. And fwiw the PL14610/14612 and variants do tend to have straight uniform pleating. They've worked well for me.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
... Thought the Pure Ones were well regarded?!

As can be seen from the majority comments on this thread and others I'd say that's generally true. There have been some less than positive anecdotes posted here and there, though from reading this board some that focus on them alone may have no great like for Purolator filters to begin with. They might also forget that even the vaunted Fram Ultra had an issue posted here not that long ago. Didn't note the same sky is falling comments with that.

I can only go with my experience, which has always been typical to the posted PL14610. It looks similar to the one I posted in this thread last year. And even the first pic of a PL14610 I used back in 2010, showed the same results as posted in this thread. Never had any complaints and always had satisfactory results. And fwiw the PL14610/14612 and variants do tend to straight uniform pleating. They've worked well for me.

Yea and I'm sure the millions produced all have a bad one in there. And only so many people cut and post here.

Exactly! When P1 first hit the market in my area, I bought some onsale and got lots of startup knock with'em on my Altima. So, I stopped using them and stayed with the Classic. I have since gone back to the P1(purchaced on sale) and they've been perfect thus far
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Yea and I'm sure the millions produced all have a bad one in there....

Yes, and that was the point with no intent to disparage the Ultra which I'm currently running on a Tacoma to a minimum 10k mi. oci. While not good to see a negative anecdote, it can happen to even top of the line filters.

While some are comfortable running them longer which is fine, imo and experience considering cost benefit the P1 is a good 7500 mi. oci filter, to 10k/1year max in a well maintained engine.

I have had mixed results with the Purolator made filters I have used. The P1's I used on the Altima and the Focus I used to have always gave me startup clatter. That I didn't get with OEM's, Frams, or E-cores. The Group7 V195 I ran on my Cherokee gave me no issues. The L14670 I used next leaked and gave me dry start clatter. The FL1A I ran was great. The L30001 left me with startup noise. The Bosch 3402 I am running now is good so far.
Oddly, the filters that have given me the most consistent performance are E-cores; STP's and SuperTech.

My Jeep doesn't like Puro's either, especially P1's, but thrives on Puro made Motorcrafts. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Exactly! When P1 first hit the market in my area, I bought some onsale and got lots of startup knock with'em on my Altima. So, I stopped using them and stayed with the Classic. I have since gone back to the P1(purchaced on sale) and they've been perfect thus far
smile.gif

As you are aware, the 2.5L Altimas of that era (02-04) tend to have a start up noise. My 03 did predominately in the winter time with colder temps and a cold engine. I never noticed any significant difference in loudness or duration with any filter brand and I used PL14610's, other brands and oem. Once the engine started to warm and get toward operating temp, it would disappear. I finally attributed it to the timing chain and/or tensioner more than anything else. Some engines just seem more susceptible to start up rattle. In addition to the Altima and couple Hondas used the PL14610 on son's G37S when he owned one.

Oh, I agree completly!
We've discussed this in the past of course
smile.gif

My Altima seems to have [almost] eliminated it's startup rattle with the newer oils. Now, I only hear it when the car has sat for several days without starting. It was never worst with one filter over another.

Even the timing chain rattle while driving the first few minutes in the fridged temps, is almost gone now! We've had single diget temps lately and the timing chain rattle while driving is very minimal and I am still running 5W30 oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back