Purolator fixed the tearing issue!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Whimsey

From a smart business stand point they are never going to admit to a hidden problem that could open them up to lawsuits. They weigh the odds of having to really pay for engine damages provably caused by a torn filter versus definite law suits if they admit to a defect.

This is a solid point about liability exposure, but they would be wise to advertise **IMPROVED DESIGN** or some such marketing campaign after the issue is corrected. If they ever plan on correcting it, that is.

I stopped using or recommending Purolator filters based on what I've seen here, and that won't change until I'm confident they are back to acceptable quality.

Exactly. Even a slight labeling change to coincide with an actual fix might help. The BITOG filter cutters are a bright bunch and would notice a fix in conjunction with a label change in about as long as it takes to open a filter. And they'd say so.

I'm in a parallel thread asking about Quaker State and Bosch filters, both made by Purolator I guess.

Is the common wisdom that all of the Purolators were tearing, or was it just the PureOnes for some reason?

Originally Posted By: Hogan773
I'm in a parallel thread asking about Quaker State and Bosch filters, both made by Purolator I guess.

Is the common wisdom that all of the Purolators were tearing, or was it just the PureOnes for some reason?

Applies to both classic and P1, as well as their clones (Mann ML cans, Bosch. house brands, etc), and even Motorcraft (similar to P1 but not quite, and a few MC's have torn, at least one of them being a 400s)

The tearing DOES NOT and never did apply to Bosch D+ and Puro Synthetic (Bosch LL is a reboxed PSL)

In particular, the 14610 size has the worst record.

Where's your faith.

Why is it such a stretch to believe a great filter company like Purolator has returned to its former high level of product quality.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Where's your faith.

Why is it such a stretch to believe a great filter company like Purolator has returned to its former high level of product quality.

Not a stretch for me. A few more good examples and I'll go back to the 14460 for the Subaru.

I use mc cartridge filters and I can tell you they are much better quality than the classics. My experience proves that mc is good for 10k in my application.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Hogan773

Applies to both classic and P1, as well as their clones (Mann ML cans, Bosch. house brands, etc), and even Motorcraft (similar to P1 but not quite, and a few MC's have torn, at least one of them being a 400s)

The tearing DOES NOT and never did apply to Bosch D+ and Puro Synthetic (Bosch LL is a reboxed PSL)

In particular, the 14610 size has the worst record.

Perfect as the 14610 is the size I've been using in the 4 PureOnes I bought a few years ago.

Well my Odyssey is still running fine so I guess even if I've had a tear, I probably won't really ever notice it

ya and GM never admitted dex-cool has plasticisers that weakened their and many other brands of plastic intake gaskets and radiator end caps causing thousand upon thousands of leaks. They just reformulated the plastic and added metal crush limiters at the bolt holes. Big money no worries !!! And FYI so does the lifetime prestone. The only lifetime coolant that doesn't have them is PEAK Global lifetime. Sorry probably wrong rant page.

Last edited:
I spent $500 on the GM Dex-Cool problem replacing the intake manifold gasket on my 3.1L Chevy Lumina.

No one has spent any money on the Purolator "problem" unless you factor in the high priced FRAMs people have been buying instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back