Hey Canucks - Petro Canada Fuel Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
That reminds me... I have about 10 bottles of SI-1 downstairs in my stash that I got on clearance. I guess I should use it up.

Oh yes. Heck, with that much, you could do maintenance dosing very easily.

I'm not sure. I'll have to check when I'm back at home in the garage. I'm not sure if the newest bottles list the maintenance dose, but the old ones certainly do, and the bottle in my garage should list it. I'll let you know later this evening.

cheers3.gif

My bottles have little gradations on the labels, marked for 35 litres. The instructions also mention the maintenance dose to be for the entire bottle (15 fluid ounces) to be spread out over 100 gallons, so 443 mL over 378.5 L. The odd time I did maintenance doses, I just used the side of the bottle, a couple of the gradations for roughly a full G37 tank.

Yeah I will maintenace dose with that until it's gone... Looks like I can get 5 fill-up's per bottle and I have 10 bottles so 50 fill-ups.

Yep, that's a pretty impressive stock, and might as well get your use out of it! I'm no formulator, but Trav has spoken how the maintenance doses really help prevent corrosion on injectors, and perhaps the Red Line might help any methanol that might be in PC Supreme play nicer.

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
The Petro-Canada stations that only have the 87,89 and 91 have no ethanol in the 91 fuel. The ones that have the 94 octane gas have ethanol in the 91 octane. I only use Petro-Canada 91 ethanol free in my Ram.

How is this known?

Puregas doesn't list Petro as a non-ethanol supplier in Ontario.

Got me curious now.

Good quote fro the nrcan link:

"As a result of the significant rationalization of terminals over the last 20 years, in some markets, only one terminal exists and all marketers load at that terminal."

Originally Posted by webfors
How is this known?

Puregas doesn't list Petro as a non-ethanol supplier in Ontario.

Got me curious now.

I'm not sure I have the email any longer, but Petro-Canada told me some years back that 91 was ethanol free in this region. I cannot speak for Ontario, of course.

Years ago some may remember I had a 2002 Chev Cavalier.

I ran it on all kinds of fuels and oils, but it ran noticeably better on Petro-Canada fuel and oils. Its the only car I've ever owned where I could feel a difference between fuels and oils.

It started easier, and used less oil on their 5W-30; and it ran smoother on their gas. It was a noticeable difference.

Don't use PC much these days, as I collect 'points' through either Esso or CT now when I fuel.

Yep, unfortunately, some companies have policies, others do not, and heaven knows what PC's policy is with granting points for corporate cards. I know that when Petro-Canada revamped the points system, they dumped the CIBC Petro-Points Mastercard shortly thereafter. I honestly don't blame them. The way it was working, I was earning $30 a month in points, without even setting foot in a Petro-Canada all month and me doing very, very modest spending on the credit card. It just wasn't sustainable after their points realignment.

Originally Posted by webfors

Chances are, several brands are being filled from the same terminal, with *possibly* different additives.

There must be a difference in the additives & treatments. Years ago when I drove an old Saturn 1.9, any time I would have significant percentage of Petro Canada gas in the tank the car didn't like it at all, felt almost like one cylinder was deactivated. I've mostly stayed away from it since, Also remembering that many years ago somebody on this site sent their sytnthetic oil for VOA and the additive content was significantly lighter than claimed, when he contacted the company they gave some typically Bell/Rogers style response questioning the competence of the independent lab tests, that also turned me off the company,

In recent years my old Nissan doesn't seem to object to the occasional half tank of Petro Canada even though it's used to a mostly Shell & Ultramar diet.

However I've been trying mostly Esso the last 6 weeks for the Optimum points and this car doesn't seem as smooth with it. Could be that it coincided with switch to winter gas additive blend, but that's never been a noticeable issue in the past.

I've decided to run the Petro Canada Premium not for the octane and slightly better mileage but because it seems that grade of gasoline from Petro might not have ethanol in it. (Hard to confirm for sure) and it contains more fuel system cleaning agents than the regular as per what they state on the website. (Regular as being excellent at maintaining an already clean fuel system and the Premium offering enhanced cleaning power capable of cleaning up a fuel system that has had poorer quality gasoline used previously).

As I'm direct injected along with port injection I wanted to use this to help keep the direct injectors as clean as possible in between my regular uses of Amsoil P.I. which I typically do every 10 tanks of fuel or so as it has yielded good results in the past. Also because my company pays for my gas the cost isn't a concern. Lucky me.
grin2.gif

Petro-Canada's SuperClean gasolines contain higher levels of Tactrol, our unique formulation of deposit-control additives, which will actually help prevent future buildup of harmful deposits with regular use. (Tactrol is also available in our RegularClean (87), PlusClean (89), SuperClean 94 (Montreal only) and Ultra 94 grades of gasoline.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back