HERTZ in a lot of trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are pages and pages of threads on this Hertz issue on FlyerTalk, one of the better business traveler forums online. I've been with all the rental companies over my 25 years of being a traveling salesman. Hertz had a lot of my business, but the thing I value the most, low mileage cars is unobtanium with Hertz now. I'm driving cars every week with less than 5000 miles on them from National. Hertz is in bad trouble. While I think this issue is overblown considering how many cars they rent daily, it sure isn't helping either.

That's a good point. You need to have the contract in that packet when you drive a rental car. Here is where I don't get the Police rational. Valid contract-did they think the contract was a sophiscated forgery and the vehicle in question was actually stolen?

I don't wish to attach the Police. But I certainly would like somebody who is in law enforcement chime in here to what the rational would be.

How about the arrests that were made after Hertz issues became know via the media-and they were still detained? I don't get it.....
I haven't had a printed rental packet from any of the companies for 3-4 years now. The one time I was pulled over I just told the cop that and he said he could verify it all when he called in the registration.

I haven't had a printed rental packet from any of the companies for 3-4 years now. The one time I was pulled over I just told the cop that and he said he could verify it all when he called in the registration.
Really... We get papers that have to be shown leaving the rental center.

Really... We get papers that have to be shown leaving the rental center.
I never go to the rental counter with any rental company anymore. I pick a car and head to the exit booth. But that's because I rent every week, I'm in all the programs. Hertz will sometimes print you the contract at the exit, but most of the time you have to ask for it. National doesn't even ask, and off I go.

I never go to the rental counter with any rental company anymore. I pick a car and head to the exit booth. But that's because I rent every week, I'm in all the programs. Hertz will sometimes print you the contract at the exit, but most of the time you have to ask for it. National doesn't even ask, and off I go.
OK-so is there an APP with the information in it?

Police and prosecutors should never accept any testimony from Hertz again. All Hertz employees should be barred from ever renting cars again with any agency.

Hertz's cars need to be seized.

In some cases, the people arrested had proof they were renting their cars and it was valid, yet they were still arrested. Hertz erased records too soon, on purpose.

There are pages and pages of threads on this Hertz issue on FlyerTalk, one of the better business traveler forums online. I've been with all the rental companies over my 25 years of being a traveling salesman. Hertz had a lot of my business, but the thing I value the most, low mileage cars is unobtanium with Hertz now. I'm driving cars every week with less than 5000 miles on them from National. Hertz is in bad trouble. While I think this issue is overblown considering how many cars they rent daily, it sure isn't helping either.

overblown, how? Even ONE false arrest is too many, and this doesn't happen with any other rental company :rolleyes: :poop: :alien:

My point being is that even without traditional paperwork there is still a way to verify the rental is legitimate.
Some of these arrests are of cars that were returned late. Then Hertz reported them stolen, but never updated the status. So the renter got charged the extra fee and the report of the car being stolen should have been removed but Hertz didn't do it. So a year later, the arrest warrant is still out there and if you randomly get asked to see ID and the police run it, you can get arrested a year or two later and you have no idea that there was even a warrant out for your arrest. So you basically have no paperwork on you to prove that the original report was in error.

Hmm, I just booked a car for a family vacation from Hertz in LAX to test out my presidential circle status, and FOX rent a car reviews turned me away even with being cheaper by over $100. Hope I won’t get arrested:)

Some of these arrests are of cars that were returned late. Then Hertz reported them stolen, but never updated the status. So the renter got charged the extra fee and the report of the car being stolen should have been removed but Hertz didn't do it. So a year later, the arrest warrant is still out there and if you randomly get asked to see ID and the police run it, you can get arrested a year or two later and you have no idea that there was even a warrant out for your arrest. So you basically have no paperwork on you to prove that the original report was in error.
Yep-I see that scenario. But the other one is the one I mentioned above. Where people have gone to jail for driving a "stolen vehicle."

If you have a signed arrest warrant in hand, you are bound by law and oath to arrest that individual once the warrant is confirmed. You don't get to play judge on the side of the road determining if it is a good reason or not to arrest regardless of what paperwork the arrestee has on hand. The warrants are signed by a judge that determined if there was probable cause for an arrest.

Blaming the police for this is just stupid. There are lots of things we take black eyes for and some are deserved. Serving a warrant issued by a court isn't one of them.

There have been times in my facility where people have been arrested that had been to court that day and the warrant should have been recalled, but for whatever reason, the court didn't get the proper paperwork done and the warrant removed from NCIC. They still spent the night in jail, but as soon as the courts opened, things were verified and they were released. That isn't the fault of the arresting officer/agency. In the case of warrants, we are just the people that execute orders given by other people and the process is fairly black and white.

This falls squarely on Hertz. They're the one that filed the reports, they are the one that failed to notify the agency when the cars turned back up.

If you have a signed arrest warrant in hand, you are bound by law and oath to arrest that individual once the warrant is confirmed. You don't get to play judge on the side of the road determining if it is a good reason or not to arrest regardless of what paperwork the arrestee has on hand. The warrants are signed by a judge that determined if there was probable cause for an arrest.

Blaming the police for this is just stupid. There are lots of things we take black eyes for and some are deserved. Serving a warrant issued by a court isn't one of them.

There have been times in my facility where people have been arrested that had been to court that day and the warrant should have been recalled, but for whatever reason, the court didn't get the proper paperwork done and the warrant removed from NCIC. They still spent the night in jail, but as soon as the courts opened, things were verified and they were released. That isn't the fault of the arresting officer/agency. In the case of warrants, we are just the people that execute orders given by other people and the process is fairly black and white.

This falls squarely on Hertz. They're the one that filed the reports, they are the one that failed to notify the agency when the cars turned back up.
OK-thanks for the explanation. So-what would happen if anything- if the person you arrested just happened to have paperwork (on his person) from the court saying the warrant was recalled, satisfied what ever the legal term ? Still a night in jail?

OK-thanks for the explanation. So-what would happen if anything- if the person you arrested just happened to have paperwork (on his person) from the court saying the warrant was recalled, satisfied what ever the legal term ? Still a night in jail?
Yes, because how are we to know that paperwork is legit? I can draft up something that looks just like a court document in about 10 min. Unless it comes down from the courts, we can't take it.

Now, in the case I gave above, I had a really good idea that the lady's paperwork was legit and she was being super understanding, so I bent over backward to get it taken care of as soon as possible. Everything short of waking up a judge (Which is generally a not-great idea) and it got taken care of quickly (She was arrested at 0300 and we had her out by 0800) because it was the right thing to do and I knew it. But at the end of the day, we still had to take her into custody. Sometimes it sucks like that, but there's not a lot we can do in that situation.

Last edited:
Yes, because how are we to know that paperwork is legit? I can draft up something that looks just like a court document in about 10 min. Unless it comes down from the courts, we can't take it.

Now, in the case I gave above, I had a really good idea that the lady's paperwork was legit and she was being super understanding, so I bent over backward to get it taken care of as soon as possible. Everything short of waking up a judge (Which is generally a not-great idea) and it got taken care of quickly because it was the right thing to do and I knew it. But at the end of the day, we still had to take her into custody. Sometimes it sucks like that, but there's not a lot we can do in that situation.
Yea not your fault. In the case of Hertz-there was a story about a Hertz renter having spent a few nights in jail. Sounds like a civil case against Hertz is the answer. As far as the example you gave about "the lady" somebody can make a computer inputting error (or lack of inputting correct information)) and somebody can spend a night in jail. But we have the best legal system-unless your in that situation given and it doesn't work.

Hmm, I just booked a car for a family vacation from Hertz in LAX to test out my presidential circle status, and FOX rent a car reviews turned me away even with being cheaper by over $100. Hope I won’t get arrested:)
Hertz LAX is one of the better stations, especially if you have Presidents Circle. Pick a car and go. It's one of the few Hertz locations I'll still rent from.

Yea not your fault. In the case of Hertz-there was a story about a Hertz renter having spent a few nights in jail. Sounds like a civil case against Hertz is the answer. As far as the example you gave about "the lady" somebody can make a computer inputting error (or lack of inputting correct information)) and somebody can spend a night in jail. But we have the best legal system-unless your in that situation given and it doesn't work.
Yea, at least in our case, and I suspect we're not alone, the court system is unbelievably clunky behind the scenes. I'm talking handwritten orders, scribbled-out conditions, etc. Add to the fact that they like to go home at 5, there are plenty of 'end of day' things that get delayed.

I suspect that's what happened to 'the lady' in my story above. She got her deal taken care of close to the end of the day and no one bothered to send the paperwork down to us to pull the warrant off of NCIC. 99 times out of 100 the person is ok because they don't get stopped and ID'ed. In her case, a tag reader got her. Just not much you can do in that situation other than try your best to right the wrong as soon as possible while staying in your lane and the law.

And yes, Hertz needs to have the pants sued off them.

And yes, Hertz needs to have the pants sued off them.
Sue, who? The new CEO of Hertz is an investment banker. I am sure his "compensation package" is structured that he wins no matter what happens to Hertz. The question is just how big he wins.

I am sure class action lawsuits will be filed, but Hertz leadership will not be paying anything out of their personal pockets, but the current Hertz leadership will all likely be making seven figures or better this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back