HERTZ in a lot of trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rented an Audi Q5 from Enterprise/Budget this spring, and eventually noticed that the license plates on it were expired (2020). After looking at the keytag and the rental contract, I noticed the license plates on it did not match the license plate that Budget thought was on it. That felt more than a little odd. I was seriously hoping that a previous renter had not swapped the plates on it to perform some sort of criminal activity... and then left them on the vehicle, and turned it back in.

I reported it to the area manager (who I'm on a first name basis with) when I returned it.

Last edited:
We need to see the police in prison and the responsible Hertz people in prison.
The police in prison? They had an arrest warrant. People with warrants all have a story or an excuse. This is solely on Hertz. Should the front line Hertz office people be arrested as well for simply telling people that corporate policy does not allow them to rescind arrest warrants?

What you are suggesting is that the people who are simply doing their jobs should go to jail. Instead, I'd rather see those who define these bogus policies go to jail. I'm talking higher ups, the likes of senior management and the lawyers who define and approve these corporate policies.

Scott

Last edited:
The police in prison? They had an arrest warrant. People with warrants all have a story or an excuse. This is solely on Hertz. Should the front line Hertz office people be arrested as well for simply telling people that corporate police does not allow them to rescind arrest warrants?

What you are suggesting is that the people who are simply doing their jobs should go to jail. Instead, I'd rather see those who define these bogus policies go to jail. I'm talking higher ups, the likes of senior management and the lawyers who define and approve these corporate policies.

Scott
They arrested some one under false pretenses so yes they are responsible. When a bank is robbed the get away car driver is as responsible as the guy that went in the bank with the gun taking the money, no? All should be arrested , top to bottom . We have too much stupid these days

They arrested some one under false pretenses so yes they are responsible. When a bank is robbed the get away car driver is as responsible as the guy that went in the bank with the gun taking the money, no? All should be arrested , top to bottom . We have too much stupid these days
So it's the job of the patrolman to confirm with the individual who generated the warrant who should then confirm with the company who filed the report that their initial report is currently valid?? And if he doesn't do all of that then he's liable?

Is it really the responsibility of the police to determine the veracity of the warrant before performing the arrest? They‘re not really equipped to do so, and I’m not certain that I want them to determine which warrants they will, or won’t, execute. That very much puts the law solely in their hands. The whole purpose of judicial review is to perform that oversight of what is legitimate and what isn’t.

Back on topic, I’ve been Hertz Gold for 25 years. Several hundred rentals in that time. Hertz now is nothing like the company I knew for the first 20 years. Costs are way up. Service is way down. The cars are tired, with high mileage and worn tires. They used to treat Gold Five Star and Presidential (elite levels within Gold) quite well. Not so much any more.

I have little status at Avis (though I‘m in their program) but Avis treats me better than Hertz despite my elite Hertz status.

I take my business (my money) where it’s treated well.

We need to see the police in prison and the responsible Hertz people in prison.
Police in prison?. . . For arresting people that a court ordered arrested? There's blame to go around in this case, but it doesn't belong to the police. Arrest warrants don't have any case details that a police officer can refer to in real time. They don't really have much choice but to arrest, as long as the warrant is verified as "active". Just keeping this discussion real. . . .

Police in prison?. . . For arresting people that a court ordered arrested? There's blame to go around in this case, but it doesn't belong to the police. Arrest warrants don't have any case details that a police officer can refer to in real time. They don't really have much choice but to arrest, as long as the warrant is verified as "active". Just keeping this discussion real. . . .
Who is responsible for the miscarriage of justice? It has to start some where. Choice? there is always a choice. Who will compensate the falsely arrested ?

Indeed.

“In the rare instances this happens, if you report a crime, and you later say it didn’t happen, then law enforcement tends not to believe you if you retract it or say you were mistaken,” the spokesperson said.
This is a statement you would expect to hear from an idiot on the street, not a spokesperson for a major corporation. Cars are frequently reported stolen but then later found by the owner. The police are used to that situation and have systems in place to handle it properly.

Then it gets even crazier:
“Hertz’s continued good relationship with law enforcement is important.”
right after they blamed the police for something that is completely their fault.

Hertz is admitting that they don't even try to notify the police in cases where the renter eventually returns the car or they otherwise find it. Then the next renter, who is completely innocent, may be arrested. This is not the fault of the police.

Overdue rental cars, like other breaches of contract, are a civil matter not a crime. The previous renter who returned the car late now owes the company money but no longer has their car. That is not a situation that warrants arrest either. When someone has a loan on a car and they don't pay, the car is not legally considered "stolen," and the police will not exert force on the lender's behalf.

Last edited:
We keep blaming our officers for crazy :poop: like this and soon we won't have any, imagine that.

images.jpg

No- law enforcement is culpable as well as Hertz. Some of those renters were treated like garbage and jailed even when there wasn't a crime committed. Even after the Hertz situation was well publicized.
In many of these cases there was printed evidence of a contract in the car and the police still arrested the people.

In many of these cases there was printed evidence of a contract in the car and the police still arrested the people.
That's a good point. You need to have the contract in that packet when you drive a rental car. Here is where I don't get the Police rational. Valid contract-did they think the contract was a sophiscated forgery and the vehicle in question was actually stolen?

I don't wish to attach the Police. But I certainly would like somebody who is in law enforcement chime in here to what the rational would be.

How about the arrests that were made after Hertz issues became know via the media-and they were still detained? I don't get it.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back