Help Please?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I've got an interesting 'situation' here.

I've got a 1993 Acura Legend (3.2L V6) and I have a whopping 3 choices for an oil filter, not including Fram & Honda OEM...

The choices are as follows:
1. Wix
2. STP
3. Purolator

There are no 'premium' line oil filters (PureONE, M1, K&N, etc...) available for the car, and I have grown accustomed to using decent stuff in my Honda's. This Legend has 223k on the motor and has been meticulously cared for. It does not burn, leak or use oil in any way and has been on a steady diet of synthetic 5w-30 its entire life except for initial break in.

I want to run 7500 Mile Intervals and would like a solid recommendation for a filter that I can buy locally without having to order.

I went on a parts store visit to AAP, AutoZone and Napa tonight. Of all the filters that I visually inspected, the STP seemed like it was decent quality. Noteworthy on the STP was the use of an O-Ring instead of a regular gasket and it stated on the box that it was made by "Champion" Automotive or the like.

Will I be safe running any of the above mentioned filters up to 7500 miles on the car?

I strictly use Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and occasionally AMSOIL in my vehicles as well.

Thanks a ton and enough of my rambling...

Wix or purolator would be my choices. My only choices. AAP has their store brands on sale(buy one, one free), that are rebadged Purolators, and possibly your size. Napa Gold are rebadged Wix and are available at Napa stores, you will get 10% off with a AAA card. Your best bet though would be to buy the Wix filters from Fleet Filter, a site sponsor, you would have to buy somewhat a bulk supply but if you are keeping the car, it may work out for you.

I would choose Wix / NAPA Gold if for no other reason that it would have a silicone anti-drainback valve. The longer your OCI the more important they become.

I'll be picking up a WIX filter for the Legend & my '03 Civic Si tomorrow.

I have used Wix on the Si since it was new and I have zero problems with that...

I guess you really just can't go wrong with the Wix brand. I would like to mention that I did physically check out the AAP Total-Grip filters. It's about time that someone other than Fram is offering that coating on their filter casing. For the price they are blowing them out at right now, total steal for someone doing small intervals.

No, the smaller size from 90% of any Honda engine will not fit these V6's. The only car Honda makes that is cross compatible is the NSX and that calls for the same part numbers...

PL12222 might work. It's the newer GM 22x1.5mm filter. The gasket is slightly different ..but
21.gif
I didn't dwell on this too much, but before anyone objects to the differences in bypass valve settings in Wix ...take a look at Purolator ..BOTH are the same and leaning toward higher. I don't know what they mean by "special" on the one filter. 22x1.5 is the thread pitch
54.gif

Just offering potential alternatives.
21.gif

In Wix

Part Number: 57060
Principal Application: Various GM Vehicles (07-08), Corvette (06-08)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.430
Outer Diameter Top: 2.970
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 15
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/75=10/25
Max Flow Rate: 10-12 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.750 2.410 0.270

The spec'd filter

Part Number: 51378
UPC Number: 765809513785
Principal Application: Acura (88-05), Sterling 827 (89-91)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.170
Outer Diameter Top: 3.152
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 9-12
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 300