Issue with replacing Xenon headlight assemblies

I was quite excited to see that Rockauto had CAPA certified Xenon/projector headlight assemblies available for my 2007 Pacifica. The Xenon option was only available on the Limited trim (probably <10% of these cars sold) and of the Limited, probably 10% of buyers paid the $500 for the Xenon upgrade. I figured they were unobtanium; I've never been able to find them until now. I've needed them bad, the headlight output has diminished greatly despite having purchased new bulbs a year or two ago, and restoring the outside lens. It's the inside of the projector lens that's yellowing and I have no remedy for that other than to buy new.

They've arrived but I'm thoroughly confused because despite the part numbers being identical (other than L and R designation) and both made by Eagle Eye, the L and R have two different bulb mountings. One of them works with my Osram D1S bulb, but the other one doesn't seem to accept it and is configured wildly different. The odd one also has a slew of extra wires which has me scratching my head.

Anyone know what is going on here? See photos below.

"Good" housing that fits the OEM style Osram D1S bulb. There's a couple wires tucked neatly inside and are all connected together.

IMG_6187.jpg

"ODD" housing which it's the right fit/finish but the bulb mounting configuration doesn't accept my bulb. There's also a couple wires which aren't connected but appear that they should be connected to.... something? What that something is, I have no idea; the OEM housings had nothing like it.

IMG_6186.jpg

Two side by side:

IMG_6183.jpg

They look so pretty! Again both are identical other than bulb mounting / wiring. Both boxes have the same instructions inside which make no mention of how to mount the bulb-- just how to install the OEM ballast which doesn't involve any wiring inside the bulb section whatsoever.

IMG_6178.jpg

If you unscrew the 2 Philips screws on the big-plate one, I wonder if then the two look more similar?

I think I have this figured out, but it's merely supposition.

The RH housing has a metal U-clip to hold the bulb down. Different than OEM (which used a cheap plastic piece to secure bulb) but I figured it out quickly, no drama.

IMG_6196.jpg

The extra wiring and different mount bracket on the LH side almost had me initiating a Rockauto return, which I avoid at all costs. After a bit of trial and error I found out the bulb CAN be secured in the correct orientation with the clips. Then I went to the wiring and found there's some electrical component plugged in that can be removed, which allowed me to connect the wiring together just like the other one.

My guess is that the odd headlamp was configured for D1S *and* D2S bulbs. D1S bulbs have a built in igniter (the big metal box on the back of the bulb), while D2S look like ordinary bulbs and require an additional component for ignition and they're typically secured by wire clips.

Perhaps not-so-odd LH housing after electrical component removed which left no unhooked wires:

IMG_6195.jpg

Removed electrical component (igniter?)

IMG_6197.jpg

I won't know for sure if my theory is correct until I install them, but I'm baffled how the same parts (L/R hand) could be so different from the same manufacturer and same part number, ordered from the same vendor. I'll be sure to update the post if something blows up when I reinstall them.

Back