Why I won't be using Rain-X All-Season washer fluid anymore

I have been using Rain-X all season washer fluid for about a year in our vehicles. Today was the first time I put fluid in the Charger for many months. When I pulled the cap, this is what I saw. If Rain-X leaves a build up like this in the reservoir, think about the pump, hoses, and nozzles.

View attachment 206218

View attachment 206219
Exactly the reason I will not use it.

Why do German vehicles have issues with the Rain-X washer fluid? When I worked at a VW dealership the service advisors told customers never to use it.
Numerous Mercedes not only heat washed fluid in the resoviour, but Mercedes runs a electric heater the full length of the tubes that deliver the washer fluid--- washer fluid is heated and is a great force multiplier to the washer fluid in dissolving frist and ice from the windshield.

Wife likes the stuff, I don’t touch it. She will buy and add on her own. ST for me instead.

If I ever win the lotto I’ll keep this in mind… until then I think I’m safe.

Stopped using it back a while ago. Made the wipers chatter on my other Toyota's pretty bad. Just regular blue for me. I would like to find something to combat the bugs in the warmer months. I used the RainX bug fluid before and didn't like it discoloring the fluid. I was just lazy and didn't empty the old blue out :ROFLMAO:
Back in my semi driving days,I added Simple Green to my reservoir. I also a few gallons of simple green pre mixed,a squeegee and container.Fuel stops always had dirty,grubby fluid.

Wow this is news to me. I’ve used the orange Rain-X religiously for the last 4 years in my F150 and never seen or heard of this now.
Same. Started using it in 2010 (the -20°F stuff) and have used it in:

2010 F-150
2014 Explorer
2015 F-250
2018 AMG GLC43
2018 C300
2019 Wrangler
2021 Grand Cherokee L
2023 Bronco

No issues.

Yep - turned the inside of my S600 reservoir gummy and pink. Replaced the reservoir and pump (along with the seals and hose) and will never use it again. I thought it was a Mercedes thing, because of the fluid heating element (a steel coolant line warms the fluid), but I’m not taking chances. Parts alone to rectify this were $300. The washer fluid line was over $100 because it is electrically heated.

My go-to now for that car, and my wife’s Mercedes, is the genuine Mercedes fluid. A concentrated detergent, mixed with water, in the summer. An alcohol, mixed with water, depending on the anticipated temperature range, in the winter. The Mercedes stuff works better than the rain-X anyway.

I buy it at the dealer, where it’s a bit cheaper, but this is the stuff:

For the rest of the fleet, I am taking no chances. Regular blue fluid, with a little shot of windshield washer detergent. My experience with the Mercedes “summer fit” is that the bit of detergent does a great job cleaning bugs, even if it leaves a bit of soap film on the edges of the windshield.

I’ve been using this:

Works great. No chatter. Quick cleaning. No slime in the reservoir.
I wish the WinterFit was less expensive because of how much I use between the cars. When I got my Accord used from a Mercedes dealer in summer one of the first things I noticed was that the washer fluid worked good and smelled even better.

I need to try some of the Kristal Klar. I know I used the P21S in the way back past but definitely too much of it as there was always soap residue streaks. I was young, if a little is good then a lot is great correct? I would add it to the squirter bottle when refilling (but normally pretty full). I could have had 30-40% P21S concentration back then.

I currently add about 1 tablespoon of whichever dishwashing liquid is by the sink into each gallon of Peak Blue when I open it (normally Dawn).

There was an issue with the Rain X fluid causing the level sensors to fail in FCA vehicles, there was a fuzzy residue left on the probes of the sensors. Personally I think its gimicky, I stick with the tried and true blue stuff.
How much is a gallon of Rain X compared to plain ol’ blue? I remember the blue was less then a dollar some years ago, now I see it for up to five bucks at some gas stations!

Good post @wwilson. I stopped using it due to cost. I like the results of RainX but not the liquid rub on buff off application. I found the premix spray bottle to be a much easier application.

I use whatever goes on sale and them buy a case. Cheap blue -20F or maybe some -25F stuff. Polyethylene glycol is a good additive for really cold wind chill applications when the alcohol evaporates too fast.

Use rainx on the windshield for decades. But it's never been as good as it was before they switched from an isopropyl base instead of the ethanol. Got some Groits windshield repellant. It's a little easier to apply but they say it needs two coats.

I usually put it on thick and wipe until it's a film. Then come back in a hour or so. It's easiest around 40F-50F

It’s stories like this that make avoid putting stuff like that in my car. I spray rain x on my Cobalt, and it does well…..

The "hand rubbed" original Rain-X product leaves basically a molecule thick layer on the glass. There's nothing to gum up.

Their orange washer fluid is such an obvious use of a trademarked name on a shortcut, lazy man's product.
Still, people just say, "I tried Rain-X and it sucked...", without specification.

Guess I'm going to 'flush my transmission' today.

The "hand rubbed" original Rain-X product leaves basically a molecule thick layer on the glass. There's nothing to gum up.

Their orange washer fluid is such an obvious use of a trademarked name on a shortcut, lazy man's product.
Still, people just say, "I tried Rain-X and it sucked...", without specification.

Guess I'm going to 'flush my transmission' today.
I followed instructions on the OG product years ago. I was not amused nor satisfied. To each their own.

I have been using Rain-X all season washer fluid for about a year in our vehicles. Today was the first time I put fluid in the Charger for many months. When I pulled the cap, this is what I saw. If Rain-X leaves a build up like this in the reservoir, think about the pump, hoses, and nozzles.

View attachment 206218

View attachment 206219
Guess next up is we can ask @High Performance Lubricants if they’re going to make a windshield reservoir cleaner that also cleans the spray nozzles and lubricates the washer pump too! 🤣

I only used it once years ago and I used it rather quickly. But the OPs post is enough for me not to use it again... all of you oil sludge drama queens should take notice 😁

The original stuff is great for side glass …
I keep wiper blades clean/replaced - that’s all I need in front

Yeap, that's what real men do 😂 Pain in the butt method.... I don't actually follow their instructions anymore though. I squeeze some directly onto the windshield and spread/wipe it lightly with a cloth and walk away. When I come back, if the glass doesn't have a haze built up, I apply more. Once the haze appear, then I wipe it off with a damp paper towel.
Or just use your favorite spray wax after a carwash.

Back