Why I won't be using Rain-X All-Season washer fluid anymore

wwillson

Staff member
I have been using Rain-X all season washer fluid for about a year in our vehicles. Today was the first time I put fluid in the Charger for many months. When I pulled the cap, this is what I saw. If Rain-X leaves a build up like this in the reservoir, think about the pump, hoses, and nozzles.

IMG_4418.jpeg

IMG_4419.jpeg

I have had this happen too, not as severe but an orange film.

FWIW, I have never had this happen with the purple Splash which goes -30 and has the Rain-X/water beading additive in it. Have seen it comparably priced to Rain-X at Walmart and oddly enough even cheaper at Lowes from time to time.

If I want rain x I’ll apply it to the glass.
Yeap, that's what real men do 😂 Pain in the butt method.... I don't actually follow their instructions anymore though. I squeeze some directly onto the windshield and spread/wipe it lightly with a cloth and walk away. When I come back, if the glass doesn't have a haze built up, I apply more. Once the haze appear, then I wipe it off with a damp paper towel.

Haha - I had something similar happen. Did this for my parents when they drove down to visit a while back. They hit rain on the way and couldn’t hardly see so they had to pull over. On the way back (a few states away) they hit rain and called to say how awesome the stuff I put on their windshield was. Good when your father doesn’t know something about cars that you do.

I had that orange buildup interfere with the operation of my washer fluid sensor. It coated the probes and I had to wash it with dish soap.

Stuff is GARBAGE. I treat all my glass with an Si02 topper spray when I wash my car now. There's no need for this orange stuff anymore.

Thanks for posting this- I found a great deal on the Rain-X all season last year and have put it in 11 vehicles, with most of the vehicles sitting. It appears I likely have a problem, good to have advanced notice to resolve.

I definitely avoid rainx after reading many posts like this on bimmerpost. I usually run the supertech fluid from walmart or the purple splash fluid.

IIRC, orange Rain X was reported to wreck havoc like 15 years ago. I never had reasons to overpay for Rain X fluid, I do apply Rain X spray on windshield, back window and mirrors thou.

When I tried it a couple times it also left white water stain spots where it dried (and all over the black wiper arms). Had to work to get the stains off.

I use mostly blue -20 PEAK in the 6 pack case from Sam's club. Randomly I'll do some of the -30 purple from WM. 6 cars in fleet that are always in use, I go through a good amount.

I use Aquapel on front windshield. Rain-x elbow grease method on sides and rear. I also might do sides/rear with ceramic wax, graphene. Front might get Rain-x and other water repellents (flyby30) and other coatings depending my supply stock of other stuff and how much time I have.

What I never liked on front windshield with Rain-x was the buildup of gummy stuff along wiper edge. Aquapel and other versions don't do that and last longer. Rain-x works well, inexpensive, works at a lower speed than Aquapel.

I try to do all my lights also especially of going to snow/ice.

I also experienced frozen reservoirs on others cars so I personally don't buy the summer bug wash ones. I use the -20 stuff year round. If I was in warmer area, maybe I'd see about changing.

As an aside. I bought a 2015 Passat new. It had heated windshield washer tips. When you used it an odor was created that was just magical. Everyone that rode in the car commented on what a unique and pleasant smell if somewhat chemical in nature. It only worked with the OE fluid. Generic fluid smelled totally different. I would go to the VW dealer and overpay for their fluid just for the smell. VW bought back the car for the dieselgate settlement and none of my current vehicles have heated fluid. I miss that smell.

Back