Hankook Optimo H727 tires installed - wtih PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my Hankook H727 tires installed today on my 2007 Hyundai Sonata. I posted detailed pics and info on these tires in this thread when the tires arrived.

I chose these tires because of the mix of price, mileage rating and winter performance. These tires are made in Korea. I would have preferred a USA-made tire, but I couldn't find one that met all my criteria.

I had the tires installed at a local Firestone. The total cost was $79.31. I didn't get these tires from Tire Rack, but they just assumed I did and gave me the Tire Rack installation prices. I paid $350 shipped for the four tires from Discount Tire Direct. It also submitted a $50 rebate. Assuming I get my rebate, I'll have paid a total of $380 installed for all four. Two local shops I called wanted around $650 for a set of H727 tires installed, so I saved quite a bit.

I could have saved a little by having them installed at a ghetto shop in a nearby city. But, my other sets of tires also came from Firestone/Expert tire, so this way all our vehicles can go to the same place for rotation/balance.

Also, this way I have a printed receipt clearly stating the mileage the tires were installed. It should be easy to prove when they were installed should they wear out prematurely.

A few notes about the service:
-They didn't say anything about installing T-rated tires on my car, which originally came with V-rated tires. I was prepared to argue with them, because the owner's manual doesn't say V-rated replacement tires are required.
-They used a Hunter Road Force balancer.
-Two different techs balanced the tires. One of them needs more training, because he counterbalanced the wheel. He had weights directly across from each other on the wheel. I didn't say anything because it wasn't worth arguing with them.
-They used a torque wrench for final torquing the wheels after using the impact.
-They got a small stain on the car's light-colored interior. I was going to make sure to tell them to use a seat cover, but I forgot. I've never taken this car anywhere for service and had it come back without a stain on the seat. I hate light-colored interiors.

I'm not going to offer any review on the tires, because I've only driven them 5 miles. I'll update this thread with more info as I get some miles on these tires.

IMG_7512-1000.jpg

IMG_7515-1000.jpg

IMG_7513-1000.jpg

Tires4-1200.jpg

Last edited:
So they charged you for the TPMS kit but did not install it?

Did they use all functions of the Hunter Roadforce balancer, such as rim to tire matching, or did they just use it as a normal balancer?

The Roadforce balancer likely has the Hunter smart weight software, and from what I am understanding from this info, weights placed directly across from each other is normal.

http://www.weightsaver.com/SmartWeight_B2B.pdf
http://www.weightsaver.com
http://trailer-bodybuilders.com/mag/trucks_curing_tire_wheel/

I had my tires balanced this yesterday with a Hunter smartweight-equipped balancer and the quality of the balance is much better than the previous one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
So they charged you for the TPMS kit but did not install it?

Did they use all functions of the Hunter Roadforce balancer, such as rim to tire matching, or did they just use it as a normal balancer?

I only wanted 3 TPMS kits, because I just had one replaced a few months ago when a flat was repaired. So, I only had 3 replaced.

I don't think they did rim to tire matching. Most shops I've seen or worked at don't take the time to do that. But, they did use the roadforce feature.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

I don't think they did rim to tire matching. Most shops I've seen or worked at don't take the time to do that. But, they did use the roadforce feature.

So they got the road force values but did not take the time to optimize each wheel assembly. That is not good, since they did not utilize the function of the Road Force balancer.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

So they got the road force values but did not take the time to optimize each wheel assembly. That is not good, since they did not utilize the function of the Road Force balancer.

Well, the car rode fine on the highway, so I'm happy with it.

I have a 50 mile round trip commute, and the wheel balance appeared to be fine, as I felt no vibrations.

Time for an update:

These tires now have a few thousand miles on them, and so far I'm very pleased.

The previous tires were V-rated Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, which are nice, but quite expensive and have a short mileage warranty.

The new tires are smooth and quiet on the highway. The Michelins weren't loud, but these seem even quieter. The wheel balance from the Firestone dealer seems good at all speeds.

The ride is good with the tires.

I haven't noticed a deterioration in handling, but I don't drive in a very spirited manner.

I haven't had too much opportunity to drive in bad weather. We don't have snow here in Kansas right now. But, I have done a good amount of driving in the rain.

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates, looking for a set of affordable tires for a friend of mine and have been contemplating these.

One thing I noticed about these is they very closely resemble the Michelin Harmony.

My daughters '06 Mazda3(2.0L) has the H727's in 205-55-16 and they're fine on her car. Winter 2010-11, they did very well.

I've been driving the Mazda lately and even in the little snow that we've had thus far. She has taken my '04 Altima(2.5 S w/Pirelli P4's 205-65-16) as she needs a bit more room for a month or two.

I'd like to compare the two tires but, they're on two different cars!

I have Hankook Optimo H725A's on my Jetta from VW.

I have 8000+ miles on them and have found them to be great. Road noise is minimal, snow, ice, and rain traction is spot on. And they still look new. No visible wear on any tire.

I would definitely buy these tires for replacements considering the experience I have with them so far.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I have Hankook Optimo H725A's on my Jetta from VW.

I have 8000+ miles on them and have found them to be great. Road noise is minimal, snow, ice, and rain traction is spot on. And they still look new. No visible wear on any tire.

I would definitely buy these tires for replacements considering the experience I have with them so far.

Don't know how the H725A's compare with the H727's. Nor am I aware of their speed rating or any other qualities of the H725A's! The H727's are a very nice normal everyday tire that just happen to score high with customers without drawing much attention to themselves as my Pirelli P4's do(in a good way!)

You like the H725A's thus far? Hope they turn out OK for you!
smile.gif
Keep us all posted in the future in another post.

The only thing I can say about any tire during the first 10K miles is, they're all OK till that point. It's up to and/or beyond the normal service life of a tire that tells me more.

My tire concerns are with everyday normal type of driving, witer and foul weather, not high performance(I'll buy a specific tire for that). I already know that just about any tire will perform decently in daily driving during the summer/dry season. It's up to the car owner to figure out what is decent enough for them.

Last edited:
offtopic but where do they charge 8.85% tax.. so I remember to never move there...

Glad the tires are working out well for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
offtopic but where do they charge 8.85% tax.. so I remember to never move there...

Glad the tires are working out well for you.

Kansas. The state has as temporary 1% sales tax increase to help get through the recession. It is set to expire next year.

County of Los Angeles has 8.75% sale tax, down south at Orange County 7.75%.

The H727 on the '91 Tracer has tread depth of only 7/32" after 10k miles with 5k miles rotations. May be because that car is driven mostly on city streets with a lots of stop and go, acceleration on green light and braking on red light take a toll on the tires. I just keep rotating every 5-6k miles and if it wear down to 2/32" at less than 30k miles of service then I will get back a good percentage of pro-rate $. I think the tire is warrantied for 100k miles.

I don't like Hankook tires. Had to have two of their tires replaced under warranty. The problems really started when the dealer had to put two used tires on the Focus while waiting for the new tires because it took 3 months to get two new Hankooks into the country.
39.gif

Last edited:
Which hankoooks?

some of their tire are horrid.. esp their oem ones.

I mean sub plastic chinese tire horrid.

The 727's are just short of amazing regular family sedan/commuter tire.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
County of Los Angeles has 8.75% sale tax, down south at Orange County 7.75%.

The H727 on the '91 Tracer has tread depth of only 7/32" after 10k miles with 5k miles rotations. May be because that car is driven mostly on city streets with a lots of stop and go, acceleration on green light and braking on red light take a toll on the tires. I just keep rotating every 5-6k miles and if it wear down to 2/32" at less than 30k miles of service then I will get back a good percentage of pro-rate $. I think the tire is warrantied for 100k miles.
If you read carefully their warranty: they want rotate, balance every 5000-10000 miles or something like that and alignment every 15k. Are you willing to pay for alignment every year just to get $100 credit? Maybe If you got firestone lifetime alignment package...

Originally Posted By: Rand
Which hankoooks?

some of their tire are horrid.. esp their oem ones.

I mean sub plastic chinese tire horrid.

The 727's are just short of amazing regular family sedan/commuter tire.

Optimo H725s. But the agravation of waiting 3 months to get replacements. The dealer was torqued as well. He said there wasn't any of those in the US.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back