Had Chevy Cruze 2012 Engine Fire recall done rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if you make a good stink they'll agree to swap your splash shield with that of another car coming in for the recall work. They already have documented that the work was done to your car so it's all good there, and they get to keep you happy. They want you to be happy especially when it doesn't cost them anything.

If you go that route, be sure to get the details of the recall and make an appropriate modification to your splash shield. If you go through all that just to have your car burn down that would [censored.]

Or, remove the splash shield before going into the dealer. It takes 10 minutes to remove, less if you've had practice.

I'd be interested to hear any MPG reports. I got my car for the MPG, so if it negatively affects the MPG, it is indeed a big deal for me.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Maybe if you make a good stink they'll agree to swap your splash shield with that of another car coming in for the recall work. They already have documented that the work was done to your car so it's all good there, and they get to keep you happy. They want you to be happy especially when it doesn't cost them anything.

If you go that route, be sure to get the details of the recall and make an appropriate modification to your splash shield. If you go through all that just to have your car burn down that would [censored.]

The issue with that is if the OP does that and then has the vehicle serviced at another dealer they will see that the recall shows done in the computer, but not done on the vehicle. We have had some cars come in where a recall was supposedly performed and actually not done. We can research the dealer that performed and and inform corporate who comes down HARD on that dealer.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

The issue with that is if the OP does that and then has the vehicle serviced at another dealer they will see that the recall shows done in the computer, but not done on the vehicle. We have had some cars come in where a recall was supposedly performed and actually not done. We can research the dealer that performed and and inform corporate who comes down HARD on that dealer.

What I do in cases like this as a customer is to CLEARLY print in large lettering on the parts in question that "customer reinstalled recall parts in question.....To Dealer: DO NOT REMOVE THESE PARTS!

Corporate IS NOT going to penalize any dealer if that statement is clearly printed on those parts.

I still have a hood latch assembly on my 96 VW Golf that was recalled supposedly because the bolts could loosen up over time and cause the latch to fail. The recall was NEVER done and there have been NO problems with the latch in question. The main reason I didn't want the work done is because most dealer are hacks and break other things while fixing the item in question.

I was asked by several VW dealers during the warranty period if I wanted this done (free oil and filter changes came with the car from VW for a few years.) I told them DO NOT DO THE WORK.
They complied with that instruction no problem.

Last edited:
interesting how a company can remove parts of your car without your consent. but to be fair i dont blame gm for cutting them instead of replacing. if cutting gets the job done who cares. as long as it looks decent. i wouldnt.

This thread makes me think that I'll cut the shield directly below the Cat. Con. myself and not bring it in for the recall. (I have a 2011 Cruze).

Originally Posted By: Duffman77
I really don't have an answer as to whether the dealer has to ask to do a recall, I know that it is common practice that dealers just go ahead an do recalls, lots of 6.0 powerstroke owners have had there engines flashed without consent years ago.

The thing to be upset about is the belly pan is likely an aerodynamic aid. They sold you are car with a certain mpg rating and it likely no longer gets that after the recall.

I know people who have actually physically LOCKED the data port so the dealer COULDN'T reflash their ECM. One guy I work with did it after taking his Ram for an oil change and getting it back short about 100HP. The dealer had reflashed the ECM, deleting his Bullydog tune.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: spackard
Found a picture of a modded Cruze on a Cruze bulletin board:
Cruze recall mod job
It's a Sawzall job alright. Well, this one looks like someone took a hot knife to the shield.

Thanks for that. Judging by the jagged side pieces thats by far the largest shield I've ever seen (err..remnants of the largest shield I almost seen). Now it looks like any other car I've owned and worked on for 30 years.

What was Chevy thinking covering up the hot exhaust with plastic like that? Trapping all that heat. Exhaust pipe and resonator within inches of plastic? Bet at 80 the sheild is bent up touching it from wind force. Forget that. Good riddance. It can breath now. Only mistake I see was leaving the jagged sides. What are the jagged sides doing? Nuthin. Unscrew those, remove.

I'm guessing you don't do a lot of work on Euro cars eh? That's not a dig, so please don't take it that way. Euro cars, particularly BMW's, have HUGE shields on the bottom.

BMW Z4:

6633409621_83e4b088a8_z.jpg

All of ours, even my wife's little 328i, have them too. The M5 of course having more extensive ones than the 330i or 328i.

The plastic splash guard under a car is no big deal. Until recently no car had one. Most DIYers leave them off or cut them back.

Sounds like Chevy went overboard, made it too big. Also sounds like people are confusing the splash guard with the exhaust manifold heat shield?

Technically, until recently, no AMERICAN car had them. They've been standard fair for Euro cars for ages.

1991 E36 for example:
6.png

smile.gif

I had one German car, 94 530i. Dont remember a shield, dont remember changing my oil either. Think I lost more brain cells in college than I gained.
10.gif

I had one German car, 94 530i. Dont remember a shield, dont remember changing my oil either. Think I lost more brain cells in college than I gained.
10.gif

LMAO!!!
cheers3.gif

Geez. Am I wrong in thinking they could find the lowest point of that shield and pop in say a 3/4 inch hole with a hole saw on a cordless drill and be done?

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Geez. Am I wrong in thinking they could find the lowest point of that shield and pop in say a 3/4 inch hole with a hole saw on a cordless drill and be done?

+1

If they know where the oil is dripping/collecting, they could even just drill a 3" hole in the shield in that spot and be done! Cutting the shield off seems excessive.

I'd be curious if over in Europe, the sister car, the Opel Astra was also requiring this to be done, essentially they are identical cars with a very few exceptions.

Interesting to note the notice I saw mentioned only US built Cruzes.

Edit: Appears I was wrong, the Australian ones got recalled by Holden.

Q9. Are Cruzes in other markets involved in the underhood fire investigation?
A9. This action only pertains to U.S.-built Cruzes. The involved engine shield and engine combination is only used in U.S.-produced Cruze models. About 10,000 Cruzes with similar design were built by Holden in Australia, but there have been no reported fires there. Other Cruze markets have a different design and there are no reports of underhood fires in other markets for this condition.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/assets/pdf/A3191084622.PDF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silverrat
Interesting to note the notice I saw mentioned only US built Cruzes.

Edit: Appears I was wrong, the Australian ones got recalled by Holden.

Q9. Are Cruzes in other markets involved in the underhood fire investigation?
A9. This action only pertains to U.S.-built Cruzes. The involved engine shield and engine combination is only used in U.S.-produced Cruze models. About 10,000 Cruzes with similar design were built by Holden in Australia, but there have been no reported fires there. Other Cruze markets have a different design and there are no reports of underhood fires in other markets for this condition.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/assets/pdf/A3191084622.PDF

My question is why did they alter the design of this panel for the US market? These cars are all about 99.5% identical so it is really difficult to understand why they would mess with this.

My TDI had a sheild. I hated it. I left it on, but really wanted to chuck it. None of my cars have one now and the Trans Am sits LOW. I can see it for aerodynamics, but protection? Unless you spend a lot of time off road I can't imagine what you are going to hit. I would have destroyed the Trans Am years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back