Guy goes a million miles on group lll synthetics doing 15,000 mile intervals.

Blackstone labs interviews the accord owner as well on their podcast. It was a fascinating listen. He mentioned he bought a brand new engine from a company that bought new stock several years ago. I would have bought a new car myself but more power to him for being loyal to his car.
I will check that out, thanks.

Unsurprising. To rack up that many miles you'd have to constantly cruse at 70-85. Lets account for infrequent idle and low speed driving which would bring the miles per engine running hour to about 60. 15000/60 is 250 hours. Not much use on the oil itself. And with the engine at lower rpm it wears less. It being the v6 6spd manual it has a final drive lower by 1. The manual also lets more power flow to the wheels since there's less resistance and a bit less engine wear because a bigger engine is doing less work and running softer.

Even gave the implication that they saw these examples personally.

This is the internet, after all, home of the "I heard...." stories.
This is also not widespread evidence of anything, considering the fact that these engines were known and many recalled for oil consumption due to faulty piston rings, regardless of oil choice.

I wonder if that Accords transmission would have made a million miles if it was an automatic transmission? The BAXA in the 1998 to 2002 was trouble prone and probably wouldn't have. I assume Honda fixed that in the 2003 update. I also wonder if he ever changed the clutch and MTF in that Accord? At any rate a million miles is impressive.

I owned a then new 2004 Accord Coupe V6/6MT - absolutely fantastic car and the epitome of a smooth daily driver. I was much younger then and in the habit of trading cars every year so I barely hit 20k miles with it…..ahhhh, to be young and foolish.

I love high mileage stories; this guy is a courier in the Texas area doing 15,000 mile intervals in his Honda Accord V6 using off the shelf Mobil1 5W20 from Walmart (and I believe other off the shelf brands as well). Found that interesting because of the weight of the oil - I figured in the Texas heat he’d bump it up to a 5W30 or something, but he didn’t. The engine developed a misfire at around 920,000 miles (burnt valve), he drove the remaining 80,000 miles on five cylinders. He bought a used engine and swapped it out when he reached a million.

This thread is LONG, but it’s some pretty cool documentation.

Here‘s his million mile engine tear down.

I don’t think he makes it that far in a direct injected Honda on those intervals. IMO. There’s another member on that site that tried to keep up with him in a newer DI Accord, but his engine failed (I think it was around 350,000 miles, not sure). Anyway, interesting that someone went that far on a 5W20 group lll synthetic in those temps down south.

Wow. That one clean engine photo after 1 million miles with a 5W-20 full synthetic with 15k OCI in the Texas heat is very enlightening.
Likely no short tripping so no sludge.

My guess is that the 6th cylinder's burnt valve wouldn't have happened at 920,000 miles or at all if he were doing 5k OCI.

So the oil used and for how long has no relevance ? 👍🏻
The older articles I found don’t mention that, just an issue with the rings in those 2AZ (I think) engines. Toyota themselves pointed to piston rings being the culprit and are still using x20 and extended intervals so I take this to they’re not concerned with either. Matter of fact my last car was a 2012 Prius which was originally released with 5k intervals but then Toyota said owners could run to 10k miles. I sold the car with 180k miles doing 10k-ish intervals and it didn’t use any oil. My wife’s uncle has it to 200k so far no issues. It ran 0w-20

Most, if not all of the more widespread engine problems are a fault of poor engine design and not prescribed oil grade or interval.

Last edited:
There's the 1 million mile 2007 Tundra that has only been serviced by Toyota dealership

I'm sure there is a BITOG thread on this tundra
Yes, I had heard that Toyota bought back that 1 million mile Tundra from the owner and disassembled the engine to learn more about why it lasted so long. I think some Toyotas and Honda's have so much QA go into a design and the parts themselves before Production, that all are capable of reaching at least 300k miles with good maintenance.

I love high mileage stories; this guy is a courier in the Texas area doing 15,000 mile intervals in his Honda Accord V6 using off the shelf Mobil1 5W20 from Walmart (and I believe other off the shelf brands as well). Found that interesting because of the weight of the oil - I figured in the Texas heat he’d bump it up to a 5W30 or something, but he didn’t. The engine developed a misfire at around 920,000 miles (burnt valve), he drove the remaining 80,000 miles on five cylinders. He bought a used engine and swapped it out when he reached a million.

This thread is LONG, but it’s some pretty cool documentation.

Here‘s his million mile engine tear down.

I don’t think he makes it that far in a direct injected Honda on those intervals. IMO. There’s another member on that site that tried to keep up with him in a newer DI Accord, but his engine failed (I think it was around 350,000 miles, not sure). Anyway, interesting that someone went that far on a 5W20 group lll synthetic in those temps down south.

and that was a pre recession honda, far from the vehicles they have today.............not just honda

Most, if not all of the more widespread engine problems are a fault of poor engine design and not prescribed oil grade or interval.
Our son bought a '12 Accord with the 3.5L V6. He got it with around 80k (?) miles on it and according to the CarFax, the previous owner (she bought it brand new) had the piston rings replaced at around 16k miles, so yeah, that's a design issue, not an oil-related one.

Wow. That one clean engine photo after 1 million miles with a 5W-20 full synthetic with 15k OCI in the Texas heat is very enlightening.
Likely no short tripping so no sludge.

My guess is that the 6th cylinder's burnt valve wouldn't have happened at 920,000 miles or at all if he were doing 5k OCI.
No. It has nothing to do with oil. Running the car to almost one million miles, he got his money’s worth, With or without a valve adjustment!. A new engine after one million miles is not unreasonable !

Even more likely he wouldn't have burned a valve if the valves had been adjusted. The valves on that engine had never been adjusted. Exhaust valves get tight. And too tight valves burn. I have seen the valve lashes for that engine and the exhaust valves (especially the burned one) were too tight.

For the record Honda recommends a valve adjustment at 100,000 or 150,000 miles or so.

I've never adjusted the valves on my same engine but (still having low miles) it seems I have lots of time to do it. Maybe by 300,000 miles - just to be safe.

This is also not widespread evidence of anything, considering the fact that these engines were known and many recalled for oil consumption due to faulty piston rings, regardless of oil choice.
I have the same engine on my 2007 Accord (bought new) and have never added oil with 8,000 km (5,000 mile) oil changes. And I've always used XW-20 oil.

So that engine isn't an oil burner, or at least mine isn't. If I ever have to start adding oil, I might step up to XW-30 oil.

Back