Got The Windows Tinted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the windows tinted on my friend's 2010 Mazda 3. That is, the same Mazda 3 that I helped my friend buy.

We wanted to go with a ceramic tint since the car has an integrated antenna on the rear window. Built-in antennas can be affected by metallic tint, which is why I chose ceramic. Also, she uses her phone and her GPS inside the car, which are devices that can also be affected by the metallic tint. Plus, ceramic tint blocks more heat than most films.

Originally, we had decided to go with a 50% tint in the front and 35% in the rear. When I got to the shop, I used the light measuring device and discovered that the front windows only had a ~70% light transmittance!
shocked2.gif

That's already the legal limit for CA! I did not expect the factory tint to be that dark. So, in order for the car to look somewhat legal, we decided to go with the new Llumar Air Blue 80% film for the front windows. In combination with the black interior and the factory tint, this combination produced a near 50% appearance for the front windows. The backs, as planned, were tinted with the FormulaOne Pinnacle Ceramic 35%.

Here are some pictures:

IMG00026-20100424-1629.jpg

35% rear, Llumar Air Blue in the front.

IMG00025-20100424-1629.jpg

Close-up view of side-by-side

IMG00027-20100424-1630.jpg

Rear Window at 35%

Note that these pictures were taken in STRONG sunlight, so the actual tint appears much darker under more common lighting conditions.

I must say, the ceramic tint definitely helps a lot with heat reduction. After five minutes in the sun, my Saturn was steaming, but the tinted car was only lukewarm.

Here in MA one place refused me a sticker with a similar level of tint,i had to go the wink and nod route with someone i know well.I hope you have better luck in CA.

My state inspection wink & nod law is if the car was ever registered somewhere down south where the tint was legal, it's still legal.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Here in MA one place refused me a sticker with a similar level of tint,i had to go the wink and nod route with someone i know well.I hope you have better luck in CA.
We do not have any kind of safety inspections here. Emissions only so as long as it passes smog you can run with bald tires, disconnected brakes, cracked glass etc untill the cops pull you over and write you up.

35% for me all around, on all my rides. First car I ever had got 5% on the rears and rear sides, and that was too dark IMO.

Nice 3, looks great.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Looks like an invitation for the nice CHP to stop her for a chat.

The front really looks that illegal?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

31819340349_large.jpg

11.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Any tint "looks" illegal in Calif. and gives one more reason for a cop to pull you over. I'm sure you and your friends are fine upstanding citizens but lets say that car leaves a club/bar and drives through the well-lit parking lot before remembering to turn on the headlights. The window tint becomes the reason for the cop to check for a drunk driver. If the driver is sober they'll get a fix-it ticket that will have to be proven to be given in error. If the driver has had a drink or two it gets more complicated. Either way the cop is a winner. I know from experience.

It does look really good BTW, I'm just a bit paranoid.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
35% for me all around, on all my rides. First car I ever had got 5% on the rears and rear sides, and that was too dark IMO.

Nice 3, looks great.

I'm considering 35% on our impala. I had 35% on both my previous cars. I liked it wasn't too dark at night, and helped with reducing my eyestrain in daylight due to the sun. Winter was even more fun with the snow reflecting the sunlight.
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back