Anyone have issues with dark window tint?

As far as the cops pulling you over? I bought a new truck and this thing has blacked out windows, probably 5 percent. I have 25 percent on my other vehicle and that was a total waste of money. I honestly didn't tell any difference after they installed it. I'd imagine window tint is probably a secondary infraction. As in they pull you over for a tail light then see your window tint.

Some states / cops are more strict about it than others.

Blacked out tint, though, will likely attract any LEOs attention since they don't even have to pull out the measuring device to know it's illegal.

Well, it depends!

What city and state are you located?

I have 10% on all my glass except the front left and right windows. They’re at 25%.

I have found if there’s a tint difference between the front side windows and the rest of your glass, they generally leave you alone.

Well, it depends!

What city and state are you located?

I have 10% on all my glass except the front left and right windows. They’re at 25%.

I have found if there’s a tint difference between the front side windows and the rest of your glass, they generally leave you alone.
I just looked, the front is lighter, but not much lol

Here in IL no issue unless the cop wants to be a * to pull you over and write you a ticket. I find through other's experiences that this is really based off location.

Depends on the vehicle. A normal sedan, nahh, they ain't gonna bother. A Dodge Charger or Chrysler 300 with dark tinted windows, yea that's getting profiled and pulled over. Seen it way too many times.

It's considered a secondary offense where I'm at, so you've got to already be committing some sort of traffic infraction for them to pull you over.

It's considered a secondary offense where I'm at, so you've got to already be committing some sort of traffic infraction for them to pull you over.
Giving a primary pull reason is pretty easy to do, 5 MPH over posted speed, faster than 25 in a residential neighborhood, not FULLY stopping at a sign, change lanes without a signal etc...things lots of people do all the time.

Giving a primary pull reason is pretty easy to do, 5 MPH over posted speed, faster than 25 in a residential neighborhood, not FULLY stopping at a sign, change lanes without a signal etc...things lots of people do all the time.
I mean, you shouldn't technically be doing anything of those things to begin with. I don't think a cop is going to be swayed one way or another based on your tint if you were already committing traffic violations. They were going to pull you over anyway if the reason was you were going 5 MPH over or any of the others you listed with or without dark tint. Some cops are sticklers for the rules and some aren't. Just depends on who you get.

I just looked, the front is lighter, but not much lol
It's probably not lighter, it just appears that way because of all of the light that comes in through the big, front windshield. Look at it again at night, in the dark, with NO light going through the windshield. During the day, my front seat windows look lighter but at night, they're the same as the back seat windows.

Last edited:
As far as the cops pulling you over? I bought a new truck and this thing has blacked out windows, probably 5 percent. I have 25 percent on my other vehicle and that was a total waste of money. I honestly didn't tell any difference after they installed it. I'd imagine window tint is probably a secondary infraction. As in they pull you over for a tail light then see your window tint.
Depends on the state. I've read and hearx from people that many states on the east coast are sticklers about it. A guy I think from Maryland said he was specifically pulled over for his tint. I had 27% tint and thought It helped immensely with the interior heat if summer.

Other than cosmetics, most dyed films offer very minimal reductions in heat. Even with high-end films, the improvements are very subjective.

Personally, I would remove the film. If the window is dirty, nighttime visibility tends to be dangerous with films <15%.

Good luck backing that thing up at night without rolling down the windows.
My wife has 20% tint on her car and it definitely takes getting used to at night. As for backing up, thankfully she has a backup camera.

My Jaguar X-Type came with a silvery tint that looks really good. It gives the appearance of a lighter tint, despite being quite dark. I like the way it looks, can't stand driving with it.

I have not been pulled over for it yet. However, when I get pulled over, I always roll down all the windows. It eliminates any risk. I keep the interior clean and uncluttered. The cops always peer in as they walk up.

The tint is reflective and in the daytime looks silver. This picture is not great. The look is a lot like the upper part of the side window.

ncUqVbZ.jpg

5% VLT tint... is too much for me.

Back