How do people get away with tinting a windshield?

Btw, the incident that I'm talking about was not a person initially having a skin condition but having a skin condition because of a side effect of a medication that they have to take on a regular basis.
This is how "tint exemption" works in NY
Medical exemptions include
  • albinism
  • chronic actinic dermatitis/actinic reticuloid
  • dermatomyositis
  • lupus erythematosus
  • porphyria
  • xeroderma (pigmentosa) pigmentosum
  • severe drug photosensitivity, provided that the course of treatment causing the photosensitivity is expected to be of prolonged duration
  • photophobia associated with an ophthalmic or neurological disorder
  • any other condition or disorder causing severe photosensitivity in which the individual is required for medical reasons to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun.

It's hard to tell unless you have the driver pulled over already.

If the windscreen is tinted then the inside windows will be tinted. This means the inside of the car will be quite dark. Unless the windscreen tint is excessively dark it's hard to tell it's tinted as the inside of the vehicle is going to be darker due to the tinted side windows. If the sun is shining into the vehicle from the front there are likely to be reflections that will make it hard to tell.
Tinted windscreen and tinted headlights are some of the stupidest mods followed closely by tinted tail lights.

It's hard to tell unless you have the driver pulled over already.

If the windscreen is tinted then the inside windows will be tinted. This means the inside of the car will be quite dark. Unless the windscreen tint is excessively dark it's hard to tell it's tinted as the inside of the vehicle is going to be darker due to the tinted side windows. If the sun is shining into the vehicle from the front there are likely to be reflections that will make it hard to tell.
Tinted windscreen and tinted headlights are some of the stupidest mods followed closely by tinted tail lights.
Yep. For example, my 300 had 20% tint and nothing on the windshield. My brothers Daytona has no tint. But still pretty easy to see out of the side and back windows.
IMG_7688.jpeg

IMG_7689.jpeg

Ok, tell the company that sells millions of them they're using incorrect terminology. Also, the other 15+ million pages that come up when you search the specific phrase on Google in quotations. I don't say rear windshield either, but I was accounting for both regional differences and someone possibly stupidly misinterpreting if I wasn't specific. However, I seem to come across a whole new form of nonsense requiring a crystal ball to avoid via your post.
I worked for a major OE glass manufacturer for nearly 20 years and no one in the industry ever referred to it that way. The correct term is Backlite. The company I worked for has been supplying glass for cars for over 100 years.

Safelite is one of the very few glass suppliers that does not supply any glass to OEM customers. Their business is strictly aftermarket replacement. I suspect they use that term because their customer base uses it.

I worked for a major OE glass manufacturer for nearly 20 years and no one in the industry ever referred to it that way. The correct term is Backlite. The company I worked for has been supplying glass for cars for over 100 years.

Safelite is one of the very few glass suppliers that does not supply any glass to OEM customers. Their business is strictly aftermarket replacement. I suspect they use that term because their customer base uses it.
These are probably the same people who say "on accident" instead of "by accident"...or "hot water heater" instead of "water heater"...hot water doesn't need to be heated...

I don't know about the US, but my wife is Brazilian and almost every nice car down there has a tinted windshield. Wife's family says it's illegal down there too, but enforcement is lax.

Back