Anyone have issues with dark window tint?

In North Carolina, they test light transmission on tinted windows.
My daughter had to have her window tinting removed in order to pass the annual inspection

I got ticketed in town by the CHP for tint on the Legend. IIRC at the time, any tint other than on the rear window (provided there's outside rear view mirrors) or manufacturer applied was illegal. Like everything in CA, it's a moving target so who knows what the law is now.

The car was tinted soon after it was purchased new in Washington state in May 1988; the car was garaged and registered in Washington.

The previous owner had the windows tinted by a company in Cambell, CA; door and rear quarters were 50%, rear window was 35%. I never bothered with tint laws in CA as it was tinted in CA.

When I registered the car in CA, I had to take it to the CA DMV to have it inspected; I think all they did was check emission certs and device tampering before signing off and handing me plates. No mention of having to make the car CA law "compliant".

I got ticketed in town by the CHP for tint on the Legend. IIRC at the time, any tint other than on the rear window (provided there's outside rear view mirrors) or manufacturer applied was illegal. Like everything in CA, it's a moving target so who knows what the law is now.

The car was tinted soon after it was purchased new in Washington state in May 1988; the car was garaged and registered in Washington.

The previous owner had the windows tinted by a company in Cambell, CA; door and rear quarters were 50%, rear window was 35%. I never bothered with tint laws in CA as it was tinted in CA.

When I registered the car in CA, I had to take it to the CA DMV to have it inspected; I think all they did was check emission certs and device tampering before signing off and handing me plates. No mention of having to make the car CA law "compliant".
The law was written back during the time of the 80's and earlier when it was common for cars to have a driver's side mirror only. Rear window tint is allowed when the car also has a passenger side mirror.

1686774872809.jpg

CA DMV doesn't so any inspections, it's paperwork and license testing. You would have to go to a registered Smog shop to get it smog'd as part of registration. CA doesn't have safety inspections.

Just because it's tinted in CA, doesn't mean it complies with the tint law. I got mine tinted in CA, and I know I'm breaking the law with 20% VLT film on the front doors, as the law technically allows down to 70% VLT for the front doors.

Just because it's tinted in CA, doesn't mean it complies with the tint law. I got mine tinted in CA, and I know I'm breaking the law with 20% VLT film on the front doors, as the law technically allows down to 70% VLT for the front doors.
Ohio doesn't allow tint below 50% and NO tint on windshields (except a strip of a given width at the very top) but shops will install anything you want. They make you sign an agreement that if you get ticketed, it's your problem and no, they won't re-do your tint to legal amounts for free. They're more than happy to charge you to remove the tint and pay for new tint + installation.

Edit: Corrected %

Looks like the front seat windows can't be less than 50% while the remaining windows can be as dark as you want.

They also say that the tint level must be indicated with a sticker but I've never seen or heard of this. Reading it again, it seems like this applies to factory or built-in tint.

Last edited:
It’s my understanding you can do anything you want up to a certain amount minus tinting the windshield.

While most would likely let it go, all it takes is for a cop to be having a fight with his wife to pull you over. Many here are poop heads and I could definitely see it happening. We had our 4Runners door windows tinted. I declined on the windshield for this reason.

My Jaguar X-Type came with a silvery tint that looks really good. It gives the appearance of a lighter tint, despite being quite dark. I like the way it looks, can't stand driving with it.

I have not been pulled over for it yet. However, when I get pulled over, I always roll down all the windows. It eliminates any risk. I keep the interior clean and uncluttered. The cops always peer in as they walk up.

The tint is reflective and in the daytime looks silver. This picture is not great. The look is a lot like the upper part of the side window.

ncUqVbZ.jpg

Hmmmmm…….

Roadblock!

Cujet checklist!

Wheels are clean. Check!
Tire tread is sufficient? Check!
No yellowing of the headlamps? Double check! Kinda. The right one is hidden.
Original hood ornament? Who would have thought it was still attached….?

Bad attempt at ”windscreen” sunshield? BITOG pass……

Jaguar? No sign of failure from the electrics nor any fluid leaks? No?

Very good! Carry on, sir!

Back