Got a Speeding Ticket today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Chicago. And outside Lake Shore Drive and the Skyway to Indiana the police rarely, if ever, do traffic enforcement. I know I rather have the police help out with real crime than some 12mph over speeding issue.

Speeding is NOT about "public safety" regardless of what the XXXX XXXX (Yeah, they're worth two four letter words) in blue uniforms say. It matters who you are. Cops don't generally write speeding tickets to other cops, lawyers, judges, prosecutors, politicians, etc.

The system is totally corrupt and all about money, power and influence. I drive as fast as the flow of traffic and if I get an occasional ticket, I contribute money to the system by hiring an attorney. My DMV record is clean because I play the revenue game. I will not sit in traffic court like a misbehaved child and be talked to as such.

I remember as a much younger man, getting a ticket for something stupid like expired plates or something; I went to court and paid my debt to society and on the way out, in the parking lot, I ran into one of my juvenile delinquent buddies and we talked awhile. All of a sudden everyone started coming out of the building; obviously court was adjourned.

Merging cars in the parking lot, people generally take turns and are polite drivers, knowing that there are policemen and court personnel in plain cars, etc. I yielded to a vehicle on the last turn out of the lot, it was now dark, and as he passed in front of me, I recognized it was the local prosecuting attorney, who had done a fine job in court of playing Mr. Self Righteous.

To this day I don't know why, I should have turned left to go home, but the prosecutor turned right, and so did I. As I followed, he shot up to 65 mph in a 45 speed zone. As I paced him for a couple miles, almost tailgating and wishing for a cop, I pondered what would happen if a cop DID pull me over and ticket me? I would go back before this same hanging Judge, he would ask me WHY was I speeding? And I would say I was pacing the prosecutor; do you think Mr. Self Righteous would admit this in court? I slowed down and let it go; but 30 years later I vividly remember this. Of course, this was in the days before smart phones with video recording and YouTube.

Speeding tickets are simply revenue generation. I can now afford to game the system, and I have no respect whatsoever for the system. And the "retired cop" who sets his cruise control for the speed limit has never driven an unmarked car near or around Chicago, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Los Angeles, or any other major metropolitan area during rush hour. Everybody speeds. Period. If they won't admit it, they're lying; and I'm not making excuses, I'm telling the cold hard facts.

Pay your fine or hire an Attorney; any way you slice it, pay for it. But don't beat yourself up over it.

At one time I had a prosecutor who owned a Mustang GT while I had a tuned E24 M6. I also had a National Motorists Association decal on the door to my chambers. The joke at the time was that speeding was no longer illegal in my division. Not 100% true- but close enough...

Ihatetochangeoil said:
Speeding is NOT about "public safety" regardless of what the XXXX XXXX (Yeah, they're worth two four letter words) in blue uniforms say. It matters who you are. Cops don't generally write speeding tickets to other cops, lawyers, judges, prosecutors, politicians, etc.

But isn't that how it should be? The union tradesman plumber gives the carpenter a break on a job. The doctor gives the nurse a script "off the record". I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 10 years.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Traffic cops hate me because I'm always driving 5 MPH below the speed limit.

Maybe because the cops hate that you use smooth Super Tech Synthetic and save a few bucks as opposed to their high priced oil changes?

They love to sit at the bottom of a hill or just after the speed limit changes. Tell me that's not revenue enhancement!

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Ihatetochangeoil said:

But isn't that how it should be? The union tradesman plumber gives the carpenter a break on a job. The doctor gives the nurse a script "off the record". I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 10 years.

I know that you're absolutely right; but isn't true Justice supposed to be represented by a blindfolded lady? We've just got her so doped up on money that she can't see the scales; or anything else.

It makes me laugh when people get butt hurt about being caught breaking the law. You drove fast than the speed limit so you broke the law. You deserve the punishment you get. You can get away with killing someone just because some one else killed someone can you?

Sir, murder is a felony; speeding is a misdemeanor. In accordance with the law, they are QUITE different. Let the punishment fit the crime? It's NOT 20 years to life for 12 mph over the limit...

A summary offense is the most minor type of criminal offense in Pennsylvania, and is often called a “non-traffic citation.” Summary offenses can include disorderly conduct, loitering, harassment, and low-level retail theft, among others. A conviction for a summary offense usually results in a fine.

I guess it depends on what state you're in. In MO and IL, speeding is a misdemeanor.

People need to relax a little bit more while they're driving. People must be driving uncomfortable cars or something. Not me, I'm all stretched out while I'm driving the Buick. I watch people go whizzing by me and I think to myself: "What's the big hurry?"
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
People need to relax a little bit more while they're driving. People must be driving uncomfortable cars or something. Not me, I'm all stretched out while I'm driving the Buick. I watch people go whizzing by me and I think to myself: "What's the big hurry?"
confused2.gif

+1

Sounds to me like it was a speed trap purposely setup right at the speed change area for the sole reason of collecting revenue! Typical of small town cops and local municipalities that needs to extort their citizens for their own personal gain...

The job of our police is to PROTECT and SERVE! Trapping us and charging us with minor speeding infractions illegally like this is total [censored]! Fight it! DO NOT just put your tail between your legs and pay it! Yes, the odds are you will lose because its your word against the crooked cops and his buddies but you are going to pay a "court cost" regardless to don't just give them your money!!

OP here.

I just drove the same road again.
I admit I was wrong. Now I know better.

Yes it was a Speed Trap.
Besides the Radar Car, there were 4 Police Cars chasing drivers down.
There were more lights on the side of the road than I have on my Christmas tree.

I mailed the Ticket back pleading Not-Quilty.
When I get a Court date, I'll go back and pay the Fine and most likely sign up for a Safe Driving Class.

I'm not going to bother with a Lawyer because I'm not close to loosing my License.

Live and learn.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
OP here.

I just drove the same road again.
I admit I was wrong. Now I know better.

Yes it was a Speed Trap.
Besides the Radar Car, there were 4 Police Cars chasing drivers down.
There were more lights on the side of the road than I have on my Christmas tree.

I mailed the Ticket back pleading Not-Quilty.
When I get a Court date, I'll go back and pay the Fine and most likely sign up for a Safe Driving Class.

I'm not going to bother with a Lawyer because I'm not close to loosing my License.

Live and learn.

I am one of those that knows what a Speed Trap is, as opposed to one of those that act as though speed traps don't exist or revenue collection doesn't happen, etc. Most times, 9MPH or less over the limit won't get you nabbed. Except when the heat is out (called "Enhanced Enforcement" and its usually announced beforehand, you also notice more police for other things that supposedly don't happen. Believe what you want. When that happens: not a SINGLE MILE PER HOUR OVER past the LEO. Normally: Move with the pack at 9MPH or less over. Just be careful he doesn't pull over every car on the road.. lol.)

Your mistake really was not driving with the shielding and shelter of other cars.

You will likely end up pleading guilty to an offer of a ticket downgrade to 9MPH or less over limit. Not familiar with NY, but. If your driving record is not horrendous, they usually offer that.

But. Just for reference: There are scattered and varyingly updates online Speed Trap registries, or commonly used spots by the police when its that time to get a quick ticket. Can I ask what area of NY this was, so I can have it in the back of my head for whenever I travel, as well as you and any other motorist that isn't blatantly disrespecting the law at 15MPH or more over, as NYers tend to do on open stretches of road, where anything from 90MPH to 110MPH-ish is game? (I've been tailgated by too many NYers even when I was going a good clip of 80MPH or so, for sure pushing it, and yet im going tok slow? to respect those kind of drivers. And they dont just drive around if im in theirn way.. They tailgate me first, THAT is what makes me mad. OP, I don't think you are one of those.)

You've shared videos of yourself doing 100 in a jalopy Volvo while recording with one hand. Your lack of personal responsibility is astounding.

I'm unaware of any place where triple digits is "game". You'd end up in plenty of trouble if caught doing that.

Quote:
Can I ask what area of NY this was, so I can have it in the back of my head for whenever I travel, as well as you and any other motorist that isn't blatantly disrespecting the law at 15MPH or more over, as NYers tend to do on open stretches of road, where anything from 90MPH to 110MPH-ish is game?

Don't push it on I87 north of Albany. We call it the "Northway" up here, and there are speed traps every couple of miles until you are north of Glens Falls in the Adirondacks, and then even though there are only infrequent spots where the state troopers hide they are very bored so will pull over anyone who is doing maybe 75mph at times (65mph limit). I was once cruising at 72mph and a trooper pulled over a car that was barely easing by me. I keep it to 72mph max on most of the New York Thruway system in fact. Someone I know was pulled over late at night on St. Patrick's Day (probably looking for DWIs) and when he asked why the trooper told him with a straight face he was doing 68 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back