Going to get an oil change at Walmart (I know...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer your question, the $49 synthetic oil change won't be Supertech, it'll likely be Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec... maybe Pennzoil Platinum. But it will be out of an Eco-box. For $5 more you can get a bottled oil of your choice, as long as WM stocks it. Mobil 1 EP for example or Castrol Titanium.

The filter will be a 'Fram'(e)core. You'll probably want to upgrade to a better filter, especially if you're getting synthetic. If you want the Bosch, you'll get a $2 credit towards it. Just make sure the service writer knows this.

And like others have said: Watch them!
They'll probably have to go into the store to get the filter (and/or oil), so you'll know if they get what you want.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
To answer your question, the $49 synthetic oil change won't be Supertech, it'll likely be Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec... maybe Pennzoil Platinum. But it will be out of an Eco-box. For $5 more you can get a bottled oil of your choice, as long as WM stocks it. Mobil 1 EP for example or Castrol Titanium.

The filter will be a 'Fram'(e)core. You'll probably want to upgrade to a better filter, especially if you're getting synthetic. If you want the Bosch, you'll get a $2 credit towards it. Just make sure the service writer knows this.

And like others have said: Watch them!
They'll probably have to go into the store to get the filter (and/or oil), so you'll know if they get what you want.

I did not realize that they was an upcharge for bottled synthetic oil. Not that I plan to take my car there, but since mine takes 0w-20 synthetic, and I've never seen them stock 0w-20 synthetic in an eco-box, I wonder if I would be subject to the upcharge as well.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
[I did not realize that they was an upcharge for bottled synthetic oil. Not that I plan to take my car there, but since mine takes 0w-20 synthetic, and I've never seen them stock 0w-20 synthetic in an eco-box, I wonder if I would be subject to the upcharge as well.

If an eco-box is the 5 qt jug, my Wally World offers M1 )W20 in the 5 qt jug.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
[I did not realize that they was an upcharge for bottled synthetic oil. Not that I plan to take my car there, but since mine takes 0w-20 synthetic, and I've never seen them stock 0w-20 synthetic in an eco-box, I wonder if I would be subject to the upcharge as well.

If an eco-box is the 5 qt jug, my Wally World offers M1 )W20 in the 5 qt jug.

It isn't.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Id rather go back to graham and get the kendall synblend and tire rotation for $39.00.

I would too, but see I took it there yesterday and had an appoitment for 10:30. They said it would be brought in right away by by 11 it was still sitting outside and the lady behind the counter said it would be another 15 minutes before it was brought back and 45-60 minutes just to change the oil. I just hate waiting so long for something so simple so I just said thanks but no thanks.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
To answer your question, the $49 synthetic oil change won't be Supertech, it'll likely be Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec... maybe Pennzoil Platinum.

Ya, I called them back yesterday and said I can choose Mobil 1 or Castrol for the $49 rate. I think I will upgrade the filter though, I hate Fram OCOD's.

I think Walmart still requires their techs to use a torque wrench upon reinstalling the drain plug, but why bother, if you are not going to replace the crush washer?

I just flip my washer over and reused. Seals just fine.

Their $49 deal is for whatever they are carrying in bulk. Here in TN they carry Mobil Super (not M1) or Castrol Syntec. They have 5w20 or 5w30. Fram orange can filter. If you want it bottled (choose your brand) it's an extra $5.

They've always done a fine job whenever I've taken any of my vehicles there. Best of all, they will price match anyone's current ads. So I've never paid more than $19.95 for a conventional OC. I like 'em.

It went fine getting it done (thank goodness). I opted for a Motorcraft filter and let them use the bulk oil (Edge W/ Syntec 5w20) I watched them do it to make sure they put the right amount in. Happy with their service, would probably go back again!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back