Gin: which do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hollow
DBMaster,

Have you ever tried New Amsterdam gin? It's my favorite "bang for the buck". I love Tanqueray, especially #10, but care rarely justify the price. Bombay Sapphire is another I really like, but I discovered New Amsterdam is about 2/3 of the price and makes a decent gin and tonic or a gimlet.

Also, if you like this one, try Damrak or Dripping Springs. They are variations on a theme. Gin is a really interesting category these days due to the experimentation with botanical ingredients.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
If you think Applejack is good, try some of the straight apple brandy, either the 7.5 year old or 100 proof. Applejack is made with 35% apple brandy and 65% grain neutral spirit (aka vodka). It is good, but the straight apple brandy is far more "appley." It is sold at both Goody-Goody and Spec's in the DFW area. Not sure where to get it in Central Texas.

Really???? Geeze and for that price? So much for my hard-liquor palate.....fail! From your above comment, I thought you liked it?

Now confused.....

We do have Specs here.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
If you think Applejack is good, try some of the straight apple brandy, either the 7.5 year old or 100 proof. Applejack is made with 35% apple brandy and 65% grain neutral spirit (aka vodka). It is good, but the straight apple brandy is far more "appley." It is sold at both Goody-Goody and Spec's in the DFW area. Not sure where to get it in Central Texas.

Really???? Geeze and for that price? So much for my hard-liquor palate.....fail! From your above comment, I thought you liked it?

Now confused.....

We do have Specs here.

I DO like Laird's Applejack. I just like their straight apple brandies better. Remember, the booze you like best is the best booze for you. You might call Applejack "apple whiskey." I like a lot of things and don't like a lot of things. I want to avoid making statements that would preclude anyone from trying something that looks interesting to them.

I have been a fan of applejack since the 1980's. I didn't try Laird's other apple products until a few years ago. I did not mean to suggest that any of the products are not good quality. I have just found that I am a big fan of fruit brandies. Laird's is following in the tradition of French Calvados. That's a whole different can of worms, if you're interested. My philosophy is never defend what you like. If you think it is the best it IS the best. What I try to do is help you expand your horizons and challenge your palate, if that's what you want to do.

Recently tried New Amsterdam gin. Really missed the forward piney, juniper hit. Just didn't seem like gin without it. I think I tasted grapefruit. Won't be buying it again.

Picked up a bottle of Booth's and am pleasantly surprised, especially given its low cost. Does have the higher alcohol content as in some London gins. Now made in Illinois? Go figure......

Definitely G&T weather....at present 91°F, 65% Rh, heat index = 104°F. Indoors, it's 79°F with a Rh of 35%. Nice and drrrrrryyy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back