Gin: which do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bombay standard is very good stuff. Honestly, there are MANY good gins. A lot of craft distiller's have tried their hands at gin because, unlike whiskey, it can be sold right away. So, they might start off with a gin, vodka, clear rum, etc. while waiting for their whiskies to mature.

There's a gin for every taste, if that taste likes gin. There are juniper forward gins and citrus forward gins. Some have very strong botanical flavors and some, which we call "vodka gins," that are barely gin. In fact, you might call gin the original flavored vodka.

My favorite spirit categories are whiskey, gin, rhum agricole, mezcal, and eau de vie (clear fruit brandy). I always like to try new and different things. For example, I recently got into erguotou. It's a clear Chinese spirit made from sorghum. Quite an acquired taste, especially at 56% alcohol.

I also really like recommending spirits to others; not based upon what I like, but based upon what YOU like. If you're brave, send me a PM and see what we can find you.

So I blame this all on Dbmaster. I bought some plymouth navy strength.. he is right, that is some good gin! BTW I also drink gin neat. I only bought it as I was at the store and saw it and had read about it in a previous post. This stuff is very tasty.

DBMaster: I like the Bombay gin so far. Only whiskey I really can say that's smooth and good is Jameson

I like Tanqueray and Gordon's Gin

For some reason I find Bombay Sapphire a little on the rough side. But I'm still happy to drink it.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
So I blame this all on Dbmaster. I bought some plymouth navy strength.. he is right, that is some good gin! BTW I also drink gin neat. I only bought it as I was at the store and saw it and had read about it in a previous post. This stuff is very tasty.

Glad to be of service. 57% is considered 100 proof in England, believe it or not. The concept of navy strength supposedly refers to the minimum alcohol level that would allow gunpowder to ignite if it became soaked with the liquor on a rough sea voyage. I'm not sure if that's 100% true, but it's a nice story. 3 Howls (Seattle) and Genius (Austin) also make navy strength gins, which are decent, but I still like Plymouth the best. The regular Plymouth is good, too, just less intense.

Originally Posted By: car51
DBMaster: I like the Bombay gin so far. Only whiskey I really can say that's smooth and good is Jameson

Irish whiskey is generally triple distilled, and also more malt whiskey than grain whiskey. It is blended to have a nice fruity sweet profile. If you want to try something American that is in the same ballpark try Bowman Brothers Small Batch Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Long name, right? It is basically distillate from Buffalo Trace sent to Abraham Bowman & Sons Distillery in Virginia where it is distilled twice more and aged. I know of no other triple distilled bourbon, though, my knowledge is not comprehensive. I gave a bottle to a friend and he has made repeated purchases. I would call it bourbon with almost all the roughness removed. I personally like a little rusticity in my whiskey, but Bowman Brothers is SO easy to drink. It also meets my requirements of being at least 90 proof.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I like Tanqueray and Gordon's Gin

For some reason I find Bombay Sapphire a little on the rough side. But I'm still happy to drink it.

Gordon's is one of those real value gins. It's made according to the original English recipe. I believe that Gordon's is James Bond's preferred brand. For you I recommend trying Martin Miller's. I can't believe I forgot to add that to my favorites list. It is distilled in England where they blend two different infusions; the "earthy" ingredients and the "fruity" ones. Then, it is sent to Iceland to be blended with some magic glacial spring water. Seems gimmicky, but it ends up having an extremely smooth profile and soft mouth feel. It is always on my must try list. There is an 80 proof standard version and what they call Westbourne Strength, which is 90 proof.

Bombay Sapphire, Citadel, Brokers (Bokers?) triple distilled, Greenalls. Trying to remember Churchhill's favorite British gin.

I like very spicy botanical gins and enjoy them neat. Reminds me of being high in the mountains and smelling the trees.

BTW Did out your black light and watch what happens when you mix a G&T. Rather surprising!You can have fun with that.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I like very spicy botanical gins and enjoy them neat. Reminds me of being high in the mountains and smelling the trees.

You might like St George Terroir gin a lot then. In addition to the typical gin botanicals it also has douglas fir needles infused into it. I call it "Christmas Tree Gin," but it is one of my enduring favorites. St George makes three different gins.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
If you like botanical gin, Anchor Genevieve would be worth a try.
http://www.anchordistilling.com/brand/anchor/#genevieve-gin

I would try this if they carried it around here. I've had Junipero more than once and like it a lot. Also, Hophead vodka is an interesting spirit. It's made just like a gin, but since it has no juniper it can't be called gin. It's definitely not another flavored vodka.

Genever is said to be the original style of gin. All I've had is Bols and it was many years ago. The Zuidam Dutch Courage I mentioned earlier is a Dutch product. The distillery produces a genever. Dutch Courage is a London Dry with Genever DNA. Might be time to try a genever again.

Thanks guys...I'll add them to the list.

BTW, I rarely buy Sapphire anymore...too much $$$$. Citadel is quite spicy and cheaper....

A bit of a shame to mix the $$$ with anything!

This is my cocktail: mango juice, pineapple juice and Bombay gin

v4p4bt.jpg

Great glass. Forget synthetic and conventional lubricants and just head straight for the social lubricants.

I know what you mean. I work in the air conditioning industry in supply planning. June is always the most stressful month of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back