General Altimax HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a lot of good feedback from guys on the Audi Forums as to the general ride/handling quality, wet grip and snow performance.

+1 on alignment issue...
I haven't keep up with the alignment and experiencing similar wearing issue (TRZ & x-ice)... The van used to wear down the tire evenly...

That's nasty. My cousin had a bad one too. Pulled bad from install till it blew. I got TR to replace it.

nov6-7007.jpg

Originally Posted By: joleger
Put HPs on my Mazda 3 about 2 months ago....got an alignment at the same time. This happened two days ago. General won't replace it.

Is this normal to happen to a tire?

/http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6559792&l=bd8adf3253&id=640980349

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6559792&l=bd8adf3253&id=640980349

I think it's normal if run for a distance soft/flat...

Yep, not enough information other than a pic of what appears to be a blownout tire or a driven flat. Cause...unknown.
21.gif

Too little information for me to blame the tire.

Bump on the original post...
Two years and 40k, the ride is as quiet as the day of purchase. Wear is even and minimal, wet performance is still very good, and the one snow experience crossing the Rockies was acceptable. I use dedicated snows for the beautiful midwestern winters. Very good tire for my needs, I'll replace the Goodyears on my Avalon with these when the drone in my ears stops. TripleTread no thanks.

Put a set on the 04 Corolla recently and noticed right away that on very smooth blacktop roads where I'd expect straight tracking with little steering wheel input, that it seems to take more than with the old tires. Feels like it wanders slightly..not much, but just something I haven't experienced before. I don't have this situation on my Altima with OEM Conti's, nor other two vehicles, and don't really know if its just me, or perhaps the softer General tire, or what. Its got 30lbs cold air in all four. Any suggestions?

Otherwise, they ride soft and quiet. Previous tires were Bridgestone Sentinels that lasted 53K.

Last edited:
After about 30k on my wife's Elantra - we still like the tires. They may have worn a bit faster than some other tires, but the performance in wet weather, light snow and dry pavement is excellent...
Not to mention the looks - love how they look.
and when the time comes for new tires again, i can't think of going with anything else.

44k on the HP's on a Civic. Rated at ~55k, should easily get 50k. Don't get to drive the vehicle much, but drive to DT for rotation/balance tires still seem to be handling fine.

For what I paid for the HP's, still satisfied. That said, when it comes time to replace, the HP's will get consideration, but not to the exclusion of other similarly priced choices.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Put a set on the 04 Corolla recently and noticed right away that on very smooth blacktop roads where I'd expect straight tracking with little steering wheel input, that it seems to take more than with the old tires. Feels like it wanders slightly..not much, but just something I haven't experienced before. I don't have this situation on my Altima with OEM Conti's, nor other two vehicles, and don't really know if its just me, or perhaps the softer General tire, or what. Its got 30lbs cold air in all four. Any suggestions?

Otherwise, they ride soft and quiet. Previous tires were Bridgestone Sentinels that lasted 53K.

Try 34-35 PSI cold pressure all around.

HTTS: thanks. Went out and put 35 in all four. Will test it out tomorrow. If that don't work I'm going to take it back to my tire dealer and have them check out the front ent. Maybe, with 155K on it, some parts have worn causing this slight drift. Don't think its alignment as it doesnt pull to either side and there was no unusual wear on the old tires.

HTSS: good advice. Put 35 on all four and the improvement was very noticable. Still just a little wander left which may well be normal, but when I get a chance I will play with pressure up/down a pound or two at a time.

Glad it works for you. Yes, try up or down 1-2 PSI at a time to see which pressure is best for your car. Also, try 1 to 3 PSI higher front than rear. My guess is that your Corolla may be better with 35-36 PSI on front and 32-33 PSI on rear.

Jumping in late here but, I too run my tire PSI a couple of lb's higher in the front than in the rear for normal driving around town, vehicle unloaded. Often a bit higher than the the recomended PSI listed on the door jamb. Even if using the recomended pressure for front, I'll stay 2lb lower in the rear. I just like the ride/handling better this way unless I load the trunk for a small vacation. Only then will I up the PSI in the rear. Or if I'm often driving with 3 passengers in the rear(for whatever reason).

I have tried the "over inflation" of the tires for MPG purposes and have noticed nothing except a harsher ride.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back