General Altimax RT43 Sidewall Issues

You will most likely hear back from General. I contacted them years ago when I bought a set of Altimax RT tires (the "original" Altimax line.) Their response was not very constructive or supportive, but they did actually reply. My issue was related to light snow performance and the lack thereof. They told me that while the tire was considered an all-season, it was not intended for use in temperatures below 40F, and if I was going to drive in such temperatures to purchase a set of Altimax Arctic tires. Gee, thanks.
I can attest, that they pretty much suck in colder snow weather. Otherwise great tires.

If I was General I would send you some rubber cement, a Q-Tip and some black nail polish and tell you to repair them yourself. I wouldn't have even blinked if my tires had that pattern. Next time get some Ling-Long's for long time total satisfaction.

If I was General I would send you some rubber cement, a Q-Tip and some black nail polish and tell you to repair them yourself. I wouldn't have even blinked if my tires had that pattern. Next time get some Ling-Long's for long time total satisfaction.
Lol, fair enough. As I said earlier, it was bugging me a little because I didn’t know if they looked Ike that when they were new or if it developed as I was driving them and they were getting torn on the tread edge.

This is a dirty mold and is completely cosmetic. But if it concerns you, for sure take it back, General has a 45 Day Customer satisfaction Trial period. return for any reason. if your outside of that by a few days, then call General, I find Mavis is sometimes hard to work on warranty General may route you somewhere that is more customer friendly.

This is a dirty mold and is completely cosmetic. But if it concerns you, for sure take it back, General has a 45 Day Customer satisfaction Trial period. return for any reason. if your outside of that by a few days, then call General, I find Mavis is sometimes hard to work on warranty General may route you somewhere that is more customer friendly.
Thank you.

I’m outside the 45 day return window since I bought them in mid November. I’ll see what General has to say but based on everyone’s responses here I think I can sleep easy.

In the event that this has any bearing on future responses/I come back in 10,000 miles, I am going to leave my recent "after" alignment printouts here -- I don't believe the rear right could get toed-in anymore than .01 (vehicle was involved in a rear-end collision prior to my purchase so maybe something is bent). I didn't ask, since I just saw green and went on my way. I know these numbers could be better, of course. Total toe is good.

Yes I know I am beating a dead horse :). I've got far too much time on my hands at the moment, clearly. Stumbled upon this image from another thread on here and it sort of resembled what I've got goin' on. Insides of my tires look clean and smooth.

1611174620531.png

Attachments

• IMG_3421.jpg
    IMG_3421.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3424.jpg
    IMG_3424.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I present the award for "Most Helpful Forum Members" to the various Bobs that nailed it. Below is response from a General engineer. Clean your molds, ****it!

What you are seeing is not considered “peeling”.
When the tire mold has not been cleaned, some levels of “dirt” gathers inside of it. This is a dirty mold and is not a safety concern.

The last picture is just the joint of the mold segments.

Regards
Emden

In the event that this has any bearing on future responses/I come back in 10,000 miles, I am going to leave my recent "after" alignment printouts here -- I don't believe the rear right could get toed-in anymore than .01 (vehicle was involved in a rear-end collision prior to my purchase so maybe something is bent). I didn't ask, since I just saw green and went on my way. I know these numbers could be better, of course. Total toe is good.

Yes I know I am beating a dead horse :). I've got far too much time on my hands at the moment, clearly. Stumbled upon this image from another thread on here and it sort of resembled what I've got goin' on. Insides of my tires look clean and smooth.

View attachment 41621
This is different in that it is on the contact patch, this can be from "aggressive driving" My guess would be front tires on a FWD vehicle. Not too concerning as long as the tires are rotated on a regular basis. Low rolling resistance compounds with high silica content will do this especially on a new tire. when the tire gets more wear and heat cycles the lug gets stiffer and this will wear off.

I’m bringing my Mazda in for suspected suspension issues on Wednesday, but also noticed this chunking on my front tires...concern? Evidence of bad shocks or struts? Or could this happen from turning into a sharp rock/driving on rough pavement?

A4821B49-75AC-4578-87BF-140854846943.jpeg

Attachments

• 6BEC47A6-C971-48F4-BF22-AAF724952BD9.jpeg
    6BEC47A6-C971-48F4-BF22-AAF724952BD9.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Response from General. I appreciate their willingness to assist.

The issue shown is related to local road conditions and is not covered under warranty; however, we still recommend returning tot he dealer to have the tires checked. We just need them to contact the office if you would like to exchange the set.

Marconis,

Everything you have shown us is stuff that is more or less normal. I'll grant that the dirty mold is a bit unusual, but the other conditions are what every tire looks like eventually - bits of wear, small chunks missing etc.

Ya' need to chill out!

Marconis,

Everything you have shown us is stuff that is more or less normal. I'll grant that the dirty mold is a bit unusual, but the other conditions are what every tire looks like eventually - bits of wear, small chunks missing etc.

Ya' need to chill out!
Haha, I know I do! I’m crazy, first to admit it. Second baby two weeks ago...purchasing a home...last thing I need is new car troubles ya know? I appreciate everyone’s expert insight.

You've got every right to complain. Like someone mentioned, you didn't purchase factory seconds or slight defects. You paid good money so you want a good product. I have these same tires and if mine were like that I would complain or want the tires replaced by General. As for winter performance they're not any good at all but some guys believe that they are, at least from different reviews I have read depending upon where they were living. IIRC it was states like Pa and Va, guys were keeping them on year round without issue. Sounds like a dangerous proposition to me. Anyway, for the 3 other seasons I find them pretty good. Mine are H rated inflated to 34psi. Good luck!

You've got every right to complain. Like someone mentioned, you didn't purchase factory seconds or slight defects. You paid good money so you want a good product. I have these same tires and if mine were like that I would complain or want the tires replaced by General. As for winter performance they're not any good at all but some guys believe that they are, at least from different reviews I have read depending upon where they were living. IIRC it was states like Pa and Va, guys were keeping them on year round without issue. Sounds like a dangerous proposition to me. Anyway, for the 3 other seasons I find them pretty good. Mine are H rated inflated to 34psi. Good luck!
Thank you. General is saying I can go in to replace them, but to be honest? I don’t have the time, and the fact that everyone is saying they are fine I’m just trying to leave it be. Once things settle down over here I may consider it — you know I’ll be monitoring them 🤣

I’m actually not a big big fan of them — I find them to be quite dead feeling tires, like they’re mushy (as I said in another thread I suspect something amiss with my front struts so that could be part of it). I like stiff feeling tires with crisp handling. They squirm on grooved pavement, which is annoying because the main roads by me to exit my town is grooved concrete. I do find that 36psi is the sweet spot for them.

They also didn’t balance that great, one wheel has like 6 ounces of weight on it. I’ve seen a real mixed bag of reviews for them but they are generally pretty positive.

Thank you. General is saying I can go in to replace them, but to be honest? I don’t have the time, and the fact that everyone is saying they are fine I’m just trying to leave it be. Once things settle down over here I may consider it — you know I’ll be monitoring them 🤣

I’m actually not a big big fan of them — I find them to be quite dead feeling tires, like they’re mushy (as I said in another thread I suspect something amiss with my front struts so that could be part of it). I like stiff feeling tires with crisp handling. They squirm on grooved pavement, which is annoying because the main roads by me to exit my town is grooved concrete. I do find that 36psi is the sweet spot for them.

They also didn’t balance that great, one wheel has like 6 ounces of weight on it. I’ve seen a real mixed bag of reviews for them but they are generally pretty positive.
As for "crisp handling" do you have T, H, or V rated? If T , then maybe you should move to a higher speed rating and also have less squirming. 6oz. of weight seems like a lot, maybe you could use that issue in your favor if you are talking to General again about replacing them.

As for "crisp handling" do you have T, H, or V rated? If T , then maybe you should move to a higher speed rating and also have less squirming. 6oz. of weight seems like a lot, maybe you could use that issue in your favor if you are talking to General again about replacing them.
They are H rated.

Back