General altimax rt43 vs douglas 195/70r14

I have to buy new tires for my 84 mercedes 300d. The tire size is 195/70r14. Walmart has douglas tires made in the usa by goodyear for $37 per tire. Tire rack has altimax rt43 for $81 before rebate and $63 per tire after rebate and picking up from there warehouse. I'm trying to figure out if the general tires are worth double the price. Both tires seem to get good reviews.

The general tires are worth MORE than double the price over the douglas tires. I have a set on my Hyundai and they are perhaps the worst tires I've ever put on a vehicle.

I've said it before... for the price, the Douglas tires are way better than they should be.

I put a set on an old Monte Carlo with nearly a quarter of a million miles, and still raised the value of the car by about 50%.

They're perfect for a set of tires that will age out/dry out, before they'll ever wear out.

The RT-43s are exceptional in snow for an all season tire (I have them on my wife's car) if that's important to you.

I put Hankook H724s on my w123, mostly because I got the set for under a hundred bucks when DTD used to be cool.

That said, the car's suspension is so amazing, and you've got such tall sidewalls, the tires aren't going to matter.

I have douglas tires on my Biscayne now and they're great. If the car's a weekend-only driver the tires will age out before they wear out. Get the cheapies.

So here is my driving style. The car only gets driven in the warm months also avoiding rain when possible. The car sits for half of a year. I do like to spin the tires periodically and I hate to waste tread on the rt43. But I did see a few reviews on walmarts website where people have had bubbles form on the sidewalk of the douglas tires. I suppose any tire can develop issues though.

I have to buy new tires for my 84 mercedes 300d. The tire size is 195/70r14. Walmart has douglas tires made in the usa by goodyear for $37 per tire. Tire rack has altimax rt43 for $81 before rebate and $63 per tire after rebate and picking up from there warehouse. I'm trying to figure out if the general tires are worth double the price. Both tires seem to get good reviews.
IMO it really depends on how you are using the vehicle... If you drive local (no long distant 80mph highway trips) and don’t deal with winter conditions go for the Douglass, else I would opt for the General.

I've thought about Douglas (ironically the same size!) but decided I drive too much. To me, on a DD, it's just a few bucks more and I've been satisfied with the several sets I've had so far. But on something that would likely age out, driven around town, not in snow, then I'd go Douglas.

IMO it really depends on how you are using the vehicle... If you drive local (no long distant 80mph highway trips) and don’t deal with winter conditions go for the Douglass, else I would opt for the General.
I do drive on the ny thruway once or twice a week at 75mph

RT43 was the favorite tire on my Saturn. They were 14" T rated. I have the 15" H rated on my Elantra and love them. Solid performer.

RT43 was the favorite tire on my Saturn. They were 14" T rated. I have the 15" H rated on my Elantra and love them. Solid performer.
RT43 is a great tire. I have them on my Golf. Way better than the Conti ProContact car came with in many ways like handling, cornering, noise, wear etc.

Back