General Altimax HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, the Altimax is a borderline HP A/S at best. It is, for all intensive purposes, a more aggressive GT tire. I would never use it where a UHP tire is needed/wanted; it doesn't have that level of grip and feel. But still very good performance on the vast majority of passenger vehicles, and with a level of ride comfort that HP/UHP drivers can only dream about. As I get older, I value ride comfort more than I used to.

I hear you about comfort. I'm no kid either. I've been driving for 40 years. But I also still like to blast down an 'on' ramp or exit ramp once in a while. Or push it through the twisties now and then. So 95% of the time a GT tire would be fine. Right now I've got the OE Bridgestone EL40-02s which is a 'Z' rated tire, but nothing special other than that.
I keep going back and forth in my head between the Altimax HP, the Kumho ASX and the Yoko W4S. I really don't need tires until before winter. But the General $50 card is what's making me make a decision now.

Don't get me wrong. I really love my Pilot Sports. Our R is a blast to drive on them. Complete driving confidence. But there are different tires for different cars for different things. Sometimes, a big comfy old 850 Wagon on comfortable tires is a nice alternative to a 39 psi 40 series UHP, especially on some of the broken up roads here in the northeast.

Originally Posted By: wbwanzer
tripleM - What kind of car are you driving? I'm not looking for an 80s Caddy feeling in my small car.
Thanks

I put them on my Mazda3 hatch.
Which is quite sporty -zoom zoom - for a small econo car.

Maybe it's that I went from a UHP to a HP/Touring tire & I loss some of the close to the asphalt feel.

Thus I feel I don't have all my senses. However, I will emphasize that the tires are remarkably quiet & soaks up a lot of road noise - impressively so - which maybe contributing to my lack of confidence.
Even when my prior UHP were new, they were no where this quiet.
I always had to keep the music on.

Now I actually drive in silence because their literally is no noise leaking into the cabin. Quite interesting since this car is known for flimsy sound proofing.

Overall, though, I am quite impressed with these tires & if they can get me to 45k+ miles efficiently I think they will be worth buying again.

Last edited:
I still can't quite get myself to commit to the Altimax. The Yoko W4S is still on my radar. It's UHP so I would expect it to outperform the Altimax, yet it is described by TR in their test of it as having "Comfortable ride and low tread noise". The Yoko has a boring tread pattern compared to the General. I'm thinking the General might be a little too cushy. Hard to tell without driving both on the same car.

Volvo, let us know what happens today (Wednesday) when you take the car in.

Rotating didn't move the problem.
So it's a bad wheel bearing.

This is not a "80s Caddy" tire, at least not on our 850.
Chassis tuning and geometry is just as important. A lot of cars running UHP tires shouldn't be, as the rest of the suspension can't keep up. With Bilstein touring struts on our 850, the combination is comfortable but communicative. A good match.

I do like these tires. Don't let the quiet ride dissuade you; it's a bonus.

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear that it's a wheel bearing, but sort of glad to hear that it's not the tire.
Now you've got me back on the fence. I'm driving a Scion tc with 215/45/17 tires. I guess I could do the Generals and exercise the 30 day return if I don't like them. Then I'm just 'out' the return shipping, I guess.
This is starting to give me a headache.

According to TR, the OEM tire for that was either a HP or standard touring A/S.

Unless you're tracking the car, for under $70 a tire, it seems a no-brainer to me.

I understand what you're saying, but I think that the OEM tires were probably picked for their low rolling resistance to get the best MPG. I don't take the car to the track, but as I said earlier, I do like to push it every now and then through the curves, or beltway ramps. The Generals would probably be good enough.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
BTW, the Altimax is a borderline HP A/S at best. It is, for all intensive purposes, a more aggressive GT tire. I would never use it where a UHP tire is needed/wanted; it doesn't have that level of grip and feel. But still very good performance on the vast majority of passenger vehicles, and with a level of ride comfort that HP/UHP drivers can only dream about. As I get older, I value ride comfort more than I used to.

With 1k mi on these tires, that description has to be the most accurate I've read. Includes the TR reviews, BITOG, and VW Vortex site where they are the hot topic. Volvohead you hit the nail on the head. Kudos.

I understand what you're saying, but I think that the OEM tires were probably picked for their low rolling resistance to get the best MPG. I don't take the car to the track, but as I said earlier, I do like to push it every now and then through the curves, or beltway ramps. The Generals would probably be good enough.

IMO the TireRack classification is closer to reality than the General's : GT vs HP.

I feel I am a lot slower in getting feedback from this tire than my previous Falken 512 UHP. That is why I think the noise suppression technology of this tire takes away from some of that feedback. Not a negative to the ride comfort for sure. But for my own driving enjoyment, the tire is a little slow to do the things I need esp. in corner entry & exit.

This is not a knock on the tires cause I really am digging them.
But buyers should be cognizant that they are not getting as much HP as General would like them to think. :)

Last edited:
. . . but as I said earlier, I do like to push it every now and then through the curves, or beltway ramps. The Generals would probably be good enough.

One word I missed makes all the difference here - "beltway". If you're living on the beltway every day, get the Generals. The 2% of the time you're doing off ramps will be rewarded 100-fold by the great ride you'll have all the rest of the time, every day.

HP and UHP tires can get very tiring on heavily traveled highways if the suspension isn't up to them. And you're going straight most of the time, anyway.

These tires will grip fine in heavier cornering, and they are predictable in letting you know when they've had enough. You just won't feel every expansion strip as you do it. Perfect for the occasional "rally racer".

Originally Posted By: tangojetta
I have 1500 miles on tire. They have excellent hyrdoplanning resistant.

I noticed this too the other day!

Going through huge standing water during a thundershower.
My steering wheel never once wavered or jerked.

Well, I'm not really living on the beltway everyday. I just find the entrance and exit ramps good places to push it harder.

I don't really need new tires right now. I want them before winter since the OEM tires are awful in the snow. I was only considering the Generals right now because of the $50 offer which expires Aug 4. So what I might do is wait a while to see if TR does a test on the Altimax sometime before winter. Right now I'm just going back and forth between the Altimax and the Yoko W4S which has also been described as comfortable and quiet.

I appreciate all the input from those who already have the Generals.

I recently installed a set of the Altimax HP's on my VW Golf. They are in a completely different world from the GoodYear Eagle RS/A's that I had.

My car has Bilstein Sport dampers with Neuspeed springs and the ride is incredibly stiff. These tires have taken the edge off of the jolts and I can't believe how quiet they are compared to the GoodYears. There's no doubt that they're softer in the sidewall area but that doesn't bother me a bit. The car will still shoot where I point it. The reaction may be a tad slower but certainly nothing to complain about.

I bought size 205/55-16 with a load and speed rating of 91H. So far I have nothing but praise for the tires.

Now running on a fresh wheel hub.

These tires are absolutely q-u-i-e-t. Like driving on velvet. All I hear at speed is the white block's jolly gurgle.

Everything else still goes: they otherwise perform nearly as well as HPs; more than most drivers will ever need. In the heavy rains today they were unflappable.

Great tires.

It never amazes my what a well done alignment can do for driveability.
After my 2 wk breakin so far & the rubber is settling in & starting to grip very madly. No noise still even at an elevated 36f/34r psi.

I will be sad when this feeling goes away...hopefully around 45+k miles
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back