Gen6 Camaro to be unveiled 5/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I've already seen a bunch of them in different trim levels because I work at the plant where it's built but I want to keep my job so I can't tell you what it looks like. Sorry....

You do not have to be sorry...and I can wait. I like the excitement!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: yougoJAY
It will only improve on the ALPHA chassis - There is a LOT riding on this car & I doubt GM will mess it up.

I can't believe how well the Alpha drives, it's a really nice driving and riding platform, not to mention a lot of fun. I am sure this gen Camaro will be a treat to drive.

I love the looks of the ATS Coupe, can't wait to see one in a parking lot up close.

The LGR plant puts out some world class quality. I'm sure we will exceed your expectations. And yes, Oshawa builds good stuff.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I've already seen a bunch of them in different trim levels because I work at the plant where it's built but I want to keep my job so I can't tell you what it looks like. Sorry....

Hope you guys can equal or exceed the workmanship of the folks in Oshawa. They build a good car.

Good to hear. We need some LGR contributors on Camaro5, err 6.

Hope you guys can equal or exceed the workmanship of the folks in Oshawa. They build a good car.

The LGR plant puts out some world class quality. I'm sure we will exceed your expectations. And yes, Oshawa builds good stuff.

LGR did a good job on my car. No complaints about assembly quality and I have very early build (10/2012) ATS.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
It's a popular hood car around here. A base V6 is in well equipped gas Cruze/base Malibu payment range, then throw on some 24s and stick on chrome, and you have "det donk Chevy,"...

It's the new "rice". The Camaro is second only to 300s and Chargers around here, for cars with rented 24" wheels and rubber bands. "Mods" consist of wheels and tint and, only sometimes, big speakers.

Yep...and we are conveniently located a stone's throw from a Rim Tyme store...
grin.gif

You know it's bad when you have an account with Rim Tyme.

My 4th-Gen was built in Oshawa and has been an amazingly reliable car, considering that I beat it like a rented mule. 227k miles and counting...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The car isn't selling well. Every time I see one, a woman is behind the wheel.

Same with the Charger, I believe it's because the typical MUH UHMURICAN STEEEEEEEEL YEHHHH MERICA men that buy muscle cars tend to be Ford lovers (and understandably anyone with 2 brain cells hates Fiat) and don't care that the Mustang corners like the Titanic.

Originally Posted By: horse123

Same with the Charger, I believe it's because the typical MUH UHMURICAN STEEEEEEEEL YEHHHH MERICA men that buy muscle cars tend to be Ford lovers (and understandably anyone with 2 brain cells hates Fiat) and don't care that the Mustang corners like the Titanic.

The Mustang hasn't been a poorly handling car since the S197 came about. And even the old SN95 new Edge with IRS wasn't bad.

Might as well give this a read:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/seda...age_first_test/

Quote:
Despite being saddled with a sluggish six-speed auto, our Mustang V6 tester still put up some pretty impressive numbers. The 0-60 mph sprint took 5.8 seconds, which makes it the quickest six-cylinder and automatic-equipped pony car, beating the Camaro's 6.1 second time and the Challenger Rallye's 6.4 second sprint. The lighter Mustang also beat out the Chevrolet and Dodge at the drag strip, needing 14.4 seconds to knock out the quarter mile at 98.5 mph, to the Camaro's slightly-slower 14.5 second at 98.2 mph time, and the Challenger's 14.8 second at 94.8 mph time. The Mustang's best 60-0 stop came in 111 feet. When equipped with a manual, the Mustang V6 Performance Package is about a half-second quicker in a straight line.

Not surprisingly, our performance pack-equipped tester also performed well on the figure eight. Its 25.5 second time at 0.74 g average is just a tenth of a second slower than the last manual-equipped V-6 Mustang Performance Package we had in for testing, and a tick faster than the non-track pack equipped Mustang GT. Our Mustang V6 tester pulled 0.92 g average on the skidpad.

Despite the slow shifts, the Mustang is still a shockingly good performance car, especially considering how much flack previous versions got for being "secretary specials." The Mustang's steering is sharp and accurate, making it a willing companion in twisty canyon roads, and the optional Recaro buckets do a lot to keep the driver in place. The Mustang also hides its 3500 pound curb weight well, inspiring much more confidence during hard driving than the either the V-6-powered Camaro or Challenger.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

My 4th-Gen was built in Oshawa and has been an amazingly reliable car, considering that I beat it like a rented mule. 227k miles and counting...

Same here. I can't think of another car in it's price range new that will take the beating that any of my F-bodies have endured.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That's not a whole new body is it? Looks like just a new front clip.

It is a whole new everything. Production is moved to the Lansing (Cadillac) plant and onto the Alpha chassis platform. The new Camaro will be slightly smaller and (hopefully) lose 2-300 pounds. The interior and exterior will be all new. There has been no official clear view of the new sheetmetal but it is apparent that the new styling will be evolutionary from the Gen5.

Originally Posted By: GoobSoCold
I hope they move away from the "retro" instrument cluster/dash.

My 2SS has a color "Heads Up Display" which is obviously very modern and the first and only digital readout that I've liked. But I'd be surprised if they totally abandoned analog tach and speedo. I also like having an oil pressure gauge, voltmeter and other info. The interior is actually quite nice and I find the drivers seat to be very comfortable.

Last edited:
Another news release on the 6th Gen Camaro:

"The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro will be a truly all-new car – from the grille’s bowtie to the rear spoiler.

In fact, only two parts carry over from the fifth-generation model: the bowtie emblem on the taillamp panel and the SS badge.

The Gen 6 Camaro is based on General Motors’ award-winning Alpha architecture. Designed to compete with premium European brands, Alpha offers exceptional driving dynamics and refinement, as well as a balance of mass and stiffness necessary for a world-class performance car.

“Our global engineering team is incredibly passionate about Camaro, and they sweated all the details to make Gen 6 the best Camaro we could possibly put into the hands of our customers,” said Mark Reuss, GM executive vice president, Global Product Development.

“Alpha provided a strong foundation, but more than 70 percent of the components are unique to the Gen 6 Camaro, including exterior and interior dimensions, an all-new interior, front and rear suspension, and powertrain components,” he said. “The minute you see – and hear – the Gen 6, you know it’s a Camaro, from the stance to the driving experience to the sound of the Small Block V-8.”

From the strong Alpha foundation, the Camaro team made the most of every component to create a worthy successor for the Gen 5 Camaro, which has been America’s best-selling performance car for five consecutive years.

The front structure, for example, was developed specifically for Camaro. It is lengthened, to create the dash-to-axle ratio necessary for car’s iconic profile, and widened to provide the desired track width for stable, confident cornering. In addition, 20 percent of the 6.2L LT1 V-8 engine has been tailored to fit the Camaro’s packaging, including new, tubular “tri-Y”-style exhaust manifolds.

Chevrolet will introduce the all-new, 2016 Camaro on Saturday, May 16, during a special public event at Detroit’s Belle Isle park."

That part about lengthening and widening the platform doesn't sound so good. One of the reasons I was excited about it was the Cadillac ATS was narrower than the 5th Gen Camaro. Need to wait and see how its actual dimensions compare to my 4th Gen before I go thumbs up or down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

The Mustang hasn't been a poorly handling car since the S197 came about. And even the old SN95 new Edge with IRS wasn't bad.

Actually, it is. It's always been behind the camaro in handling by quite a bit. Compared to the c it's not very good. Especially once you start comparing the ZL1/Z28 to the GT500.

Actually, it is. It's always been behind the camaro in handling by quite a bit. Compared to the c it's not very good. Especially once you start comparing the ZL1/Z28 to the GT500.

Quite a bit? The GT500 was faster around the 'ring than the ZL1. Have you ever driven any of these cars or are you just showing more of your obvious bias? Both cars handle extremely well for their price range and are significantly faster than anything you or I own. What does your car lap the 'ring in? My 14 year old M5 did it in 8:20 and BOTH of those cars are faster than that by a significant margin (GT500 @ 7:39:28, ZL1 @ 7:41:2). My car handles well. These cars are better. So no, the Mustang doesn't corner like the Titanic, you just simply have no idea what you are talking about. Again.

You sound like a little kid making fun of cars the way you do. Once you get old enough/mature enough to get over your biases you might find that many of the vehicles you come down on are actually a lot of fun in the "real world".

Quite a bit? The GT500 was faster around the 'ring than the ZL1. Have you ever driven any of these cars or are you just showing more of your obvious bias? Both cars handle extremely well for their price range and are significantly faster than anything you or I own. What does your car lap the 'ring in? My 14 year old M5 did it in 8:20 and BOTH of those cars are faster than that by a significant margin (GT500 @ 7:39:28, ZL1 @ 7:41:2). My car handles well. These cars are better. So no, the Mustang doesn't corner like the Titanic, you just simply have no idea what you are talking about. Again.

You sound like a little kid making fun of cars the way you do. Once you get old enough/mature enough to get over your biases you might find that many of the vehicles you come down on are actually a lot of fun in the "real world".

Funny.

"You sound like a little kid" is the first thing I think when I hear "Nurburgring" (or just "the 'ring" if you're ultra-cool) on an internet forum.

Adding in a name drop of your own car's time just confirms your delta bravo status.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Funny.

"You sound like a little kid" is the first thing I think when I hear "Nurburgring" (or just "the 'ring" if you're ultra-cool) on an internet forum.

Adding in a name drop of your own car's time just confirms your delta bravo status.

Yes, I realize it gets tossed around a lot, but it is a real race track where cars are tested. ALL of the cars being discussed are extremely capable performers, NONE of them "handle like the Titanic", which is a comment I find ridiculous and wasn't qualified in any way.

And mentioning my car wasn't a "name drop", it was to point out that, in its day, it was regarded as the benchmark for sedan handing (and was quite expensive) and ALL of these cars are faster than it now, at a much lower price point. It is impressive that we've come so far.

It is a whole new everything. Production is moved to the Lansing (Cadillac) plant and onto the Alpha chassis platform. The new Camaro will be slightly smaller and (hopefully) lose 2-300 pounds. The interior and exterior will be all new. There has been no official clear view of the new sheetmetal but it is apparent that the new styling will be evolutionary from the Gen5.

Interesting. Thank you sir.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back