A Volvo related question

Re a 2106 XC-70; the so called 3rd generation.
My previous questions have all regarded the earlier, P2 version.

These 2016's are available with a 2.5l 5 cyl. turbo in AWD models and a 2.0l 4 cyl. turbo in FWD models.
I've found no non-turbo versions amongst all the ad listings.

Are these latter Volvos made well? Does anyone have any experience or comments with Volvos turbo units?
The 6 speed auto is a proven carryover.

The example before me (2.5l 5 cyl. with 130K) is said to be completely dealership maintained, including very recent timing belt change.
I do want to drive a 4 cyl. version of the same car.

Re a 2106 XC-70; the so called 3rd generation.
My previous questions have all regarded the earlier, P2 version.

These 2016's are available with a 2.5l 5 cyl. turbo in AWD models and a 2.0l 4 cyl. turbo in FWD models.
I've found no non-turbo versions amongst all the ad listings.

Are these latter Volvos made well? Does anyone have any experience or comments with Volvos turbo units?
The 6 speed auto is a proven carryover.

The example before me (2.5l 5 cyl. with 130K) is said to be completely dealership maintained, including very recent timing belt change.
I do want to drive a 4 cyl. version of the same car.
There is no particular reason to not consider the car in question. Volvos are well made, durable and extremely safe. That said, if you are looking for the most reliable used car, and if you want repair costs to be reasonable, I suggest looking at competitive vehicles from Acura, Honda, Toyota, and Lexus. If you want a European car, make sure you consider Mercedes-Benz and BMW, which tend to have horrendous retail and just bake expensive maintenance into the mix.

On your specific question, I have a friend who has two vehicles with the 2.5T engine, both well over 150k and driven daily.

I was under the impression that modern Volvos require a different set of tools for many service jobs.

Don't quote me, just something to ask your regular mechanic---unless you plan on using the dealership

I was under the impression that modern Volvos require a different set of tools for many service jobs.

Don't quote me, just something to ask your regular mechanic---unless you plan on using the dealership
Like what? Seriously?

Torx? Metric sockets?

There’s nothing on a Volvo that you won’t find a BMW, Mercedes, or even Toyota.

I own five Volvos and the only specialty tool I’ve had to buy is the oil filter wrench. Everything else is ordinary. Modern, but ordinary.

Owned multiple 2000- 2009 blocks all new, never again, stuff that never breaks on most cars fail after markets parts crap, way too many headaches for me

The earlier 2000-teens cars, say somewhere in the 11-14 range, had teething problems with oil consumption via weak rings. I *think* that was primarily with the 4 cylinder units, and I think it was all sorted by 2015. 15-19 is probably a good year range to look in, as the newer units with google-software for the instrumentation have a lot of complaints for electronics, dash, and dash controls.

As a 3 Volvo owner, I quite enjoyed mine. It took me a little bit to get a feel for working on them, but once I got a feel for them frankly prefer them to Hondas and Toyotas. Yes, they are a little particular with electronics, but mechanically they were very solid vehicles.

2012/13 to 2016 were the years of oil burners for Volvo - for both 4 and 5 cyl engines. Take a look at the Sweedespeed forum. If memory serves right, Volvo had extended the warranty on 2013-16 vehicles to 8yr/100k miles due to the number of complaints they had. Just something to keep an eye on, otherwise solid (good looking imo) vehicles.

REPORT: Yesterday I drove a 2015 XC70 4 cylinder 8 speed auto. It has 106,000 miles. Asking $13,500.
Smooth engine and 8-speed trans. New tires. Very attractive interior (two-tone brown, A+ condition).
Brakes sounded and worked well.
Any extended warranty is water under the bridge unless it's 10 years/150k miles.

The Carfax did show trips to the dealership for a "dashboard check" and an ECU reprogramming.
The brake fluid was said to have been replaced twice.
Carfaxes can be confusing when simply plugging in an OBD reader is logged as an "electrical system check".

QUESTION: This is more a base, FWD version; not an AWD.
The info screen built into the dash seems to provide audio system settings only.
It has no nav or back-up camera.
Does anybody know if nav and back-up camera can be added? The screen may be just a basic for the audio settings only.
Absence of nav and a rear view camera is not a deal breaker

Also, does anyone know what kind of 8 speed Volvo sourced? I assume it is a geared transmission and not a CVT with 8 "speed settings".

All info appreciated.

Those are Aisin FW8xx series transmissions. Better odds of their reliability than the 4 cyl engines.

Many thanks, dogememe! Lunkhead people should check their oil....what a concept!

Now I gotta determine if Volvo used the thin oil control rings in the 2016 2.5.

FUN FACT: The 2016 XC70 w/2.5l I drove yesterday was a nice car with NAV and audio system setups on the screen...but no rear camera.
A Volvo dealership says they can install a Volvo camera and have the image appear in the original screen.....for $2,010.

Glad I grew up without them.

Long live Shiba Inus.

Don't buy it. We have so many 2.0s and 2.5s at the wholesale auctions with engine issues it's ridiculous.

If you want a healthy frame of reference for their durability, go to car-part.com and check out how much it cost to replace an engine.

The 3.2 is way better than the 4cyl and 5cyl engines from Volvo of the era. There are still plenty of folks complaining about oil burning on those, just nowhere near as problematic as the 4/5 cyls. Still wouldn’t consider them reliable compared to say a Toyota V6/ VQ35 - VQ40 / Merc M272 / GM LTX.

Back