Gas water heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad had an issue with the sulfurous odor in the hot water. Certain water chemistry combined with the anode's metal results in that. If you have a magnesium anode, try an aluminum one or vice-versa. Going from magnesium to aluminum solved his issue.

As an alternative you could try one of the electric anode kits. They are considerably more expensive.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
My dad had an issue with the sulfurous odor in the hot water. Certain water chemistry combined with the anode's metal results in that. If you have a magnesium anode, try an aluminum one or vice-versa. Going from magnesium to aluminum solved his issue.

As an alternative you could try one of the electric anode kits. They are considerably more expensive.
Actually with my water softener I don't see the need for the anode. Current water heater was installed in 9/1994.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Actually with my water softener I don't see the need for the anode. Current water heater was installed in 9/1994.

The link I posted mentioned water softeners. It stated that if you keep your water much below 120 ppm hardness you run the risk of the higher salt content corroding your tank even faster. Food for thought.

The link I posted mentioned water softeners. It stated that if you keep your water much below 120 ppm hardness you run the risk of the higher salt content corroding your tank even faster. Food for thought.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. But why has my 5 year guaranteed water heater lasted 22 years now with out an anode and with a water softener?

That's poorly worded, water softeners don't put salt in the water, only the sodium ion (as an exchange for magnesium or calcium). I think what they mean is that water with less magnesium can then dissolve it from the sacrificial anode.

But seriously, you're supposed to install a mixing valve or some other contraption to add unsoftened water to your piping? No one is going to do that.

I took the anode out of mine. Gave the hot water a sulfur smell. And are those things ever in tight.

Yes, at one point I tried to change a bunch of them, only able to get 4 out of 8 done. Ended up getting some Kroil and a 4 foot pipe to put on the end of my 18" breaker bar and then those other 4 came loose.

I took some pics of the old one. Just for kicks i took the anode out. Other than the anode rod is gone, not bad for 19 year old 30gallon heater used in a 2 story home.

They really did not intend for the homeowner to access the anode rod, it was under the top cover.

I had to use the aircat to get it off.

[img:center][/img]

Last edited:
Now i'm wondering what i could use the inner tank for. What could i make out of it with my welder?

A grill?
I wondered if i could turn it into a chiminea or an outdoor woodstove/heater?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back