FX4 in shop - have 2011 F-150 EconoBoost as loaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2nd OC I noticed a damp area at the base of the bellhousing so when I had the fluids changed recently I told my service writer that I suspected I had a rear main seal leak. They dye tested and found nothing (typical right?), but on my last OC there was about a teaspoon of oil inside the bellhousing.

Shortly after my last OC I received a e-mail survey from Ford and I flagged the dealership as not correcting the problem the first time. Amazingly enough, the service manager at dealer called me within 2 days of submitting the survey. He told me to come back in and they would check it again and sure enough I received a call this afternoon the rear main seal has to be changed. 'Nuff said on that one--love my Ford ESP that gives free loaners.

In the meantime, I have a 2011 F-150 as a loaner that has the V-6 EconoBoost engine. I must say this little twin turbo kicks some boo-tay! I averaged 20.2MPG while cruising at 65MPH and when I stomped it...it got up and went.
39.gif

Almost comparable to my 5.4L and I cannot help but wonder how well this thing would tow a load. I also like the "split" mirror on the driver's side that removes blind spots and the instant MPG meter in the center of the dash is a nice piece of technology.

Anyone drive one of these on a regular basis? What are your opinions of it?

I don't know it is compairable to the 5.4 at anything, everything I have read and seen the ecoboost kicks the 5.4 in the rear. But it will take 15 years or more to see if the 3.5 is as long lived as the 5.4.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Funny that is the most common place my F150 was in the shop.

Right...not sure how that ties into my question.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I don't know it is compairable to the 5.4 at anything, everything I have read and seen the ecoboost kicks the 5.4 in the rear. But it will take 15 years or more to see if the 3.5 is as long lived as the 5.4.

Well, I did not flog it outright (it will be someone's truck at some point), but it did have 2 places where it lagged (almost felt like a 2 stroke kicking into a powerband). I liked it, but not enough to replace my 5.4L with it. As you said will it be as tried and true--not sure with twin turbos; seems like something there is just itching to break just outside of the warranty.

I don't get the turbo fear. I had a 1988 dodge shadow with a turbo that ran perfect until 250k+ miles. I think it was a mitsubishi engine, but none the less it was a very old platform by today's technology. If they could build reliable turbos in the 80's, why can't they make even better ones now days?

EDIT: And the turbo didn't die on its own. some --- nitwit hack mechanic decided he needed to remove the turbo while replacing a coolant hose not related to the turbo at all and cracked it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
If they could build reliable turbos in the 80's, why can't they make even better ones now days?

I am sure that you are correct, but KISS is the order of the day for me; I would rather have naturally aspirated versus forced induction.

I don't get the turbo fear. I had a 1988 dodge shadow with a turbo that ran perfect until 250k+ miles. I think it was a mitsubishi engine, but none the less it was a very old platform by today's technology. If they could build reliable turbos in the 80's, why can't they make even better ones now days?

EDIT: And the turbo didn't die on its own. some F'in nitwit hack mechanic decided he needed to remove the turbo while replacing a coolant hose not related to the turbo at all and cracked it.

That was actually a Chrysler engine, and they ran forever as long as you kept oil in it! That was when Chrysler built great vehicles!

EDIT: And the turbo didn't die on its own. some F'in nitwit hack mechanic decided he needed to remove the turbo while replacing a coolant hose not related to the turbo at all and cracked it.

No, I beleive your turbo motor was a true Chrysler Motor/Turbo especially if it't the 2.2/2.5 L 4 cyl's, and not Mitsubishi. Chrysler was using their own 4cyl turbo's in their own designed vehicles. Although Chrysler was using and had used many Mitsubishi Motors during that time but typicaly in rebadged Mitsubishi vehicles and the use of Mitsubishi V-6's in some Chrysler Sedans. But, this is another subject.

To the OP's question...I'll bet that the F-150 with the V6 EconoBoost motor will be fine for those truck owners that like a truck for personal transportation and not for using as a full blown construction truck or towing and hauling. But, for the occassional trip to the lumber yard/landscape nursery and for everyday transportation for those who just enjoy owning a truck.

I have several friends that are 6'4"-6'6"/250-270 + lbs and a car just doesn't cut the mustard. They love their diesels though!

Then there are my friends that are under 6' and under 200 lbs that just like a truck for their everyday ride.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind trying an Ecoboost. My 5.4L is nice, but I wouldn't have minded a little "boost" towing my Jeep over the Rockies on the way to Moab.

I'd like to drive an EcoBoost myself, though if I were shopping for a new F-150 I'd most likely get the N/A 3.7 V6. Even that has a pretty impressive 311 HP.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have several friends that are 6'4"-6'6"/250-270 + lbs and a car just doesn't cut the mustard. They love their diesels though!

I'm 6'7" and 260ish, most cars are fine with me.

I do love diesels as well, but not the ones in the HD pickups, the European ones that we don't get here
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Well, I did not flog it outright (it will be someone's truck at some point), but it did have 2 places where it lagged (almost felt like a 2 stroke kicking into a powerband)

I guess that is why its called the EcNoBoost.

Every turbo has a little lag. You'd think that a little more torque converter stall and 'all' those gears would eliminate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back