Free Oil changes at my Nissan dealer but no ester?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one reason I prefer to do my own oil changes and have no time for this "free" nonsense. The dealer really can't win in this situation. If it were me, I'd be asking for the 5w-30 thanks to severe service intervals, and would be annoyed if they were wasting 0w-20 on me. Others are annoyed that they're going cheap and using 5w-30 conventional instead of the 0w-20.

I declined the "lifetime powertrain warranty" on my G because that required service from the Chrysler dealer from whom I purchased it. I'm not interested in that at all. If I want to run 0w-20, 5w-30, or 5w-40, I'll do so, and the dealer has absolutely nothing to say about it.

I prefer to do my own oil changes as well. The dealer had a great deal on the bulk 0w20 (could easily sell an oil change for 39.95 using Mobil Super Synthetic and a Nissan oil filter). The principle was getting what was recommended by the manufacturer I guess.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Ask the parts department if they sell 0W-20. If so, demand that the service department use that, as it is available and is therefore what the manual specs.

That's the approach I would take.
And if they don't stock it ask if they can order it in, which of course they can.
Then demand that the dealer change the oil to the recommended 0W-20 grade and don't accept any excuses.

They are probably overstocked with the cheap, molyless Mobil 5W-30 dino and trying to get rid of it. That's what you get for free. You won't get the full synthetic that contains both the moly friction modifier and ester friction modifier for free.

Last time I got a good price at the dealer for oil chg, filter, tire rotation & inspection, I drained the oil when I got it home, mixed it with 50% of the same brand syn I wanted in, and had 2 oil changes out of it.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: dparm
The ester oil is unremarkable. It's ridiculously expensive and is borderlining on snake-oil.

We even ran it in my mom's VQ35HR motor (Infiniti EX35) and the UOA came back quite mediocre. No way was it worth $11/qt.

Yes, but OP is looking for free oil. I'd take a synthetic or blend over a conventional oil any day if the price was the same (in OP's case - free). 0w20 is typically synthetic or at worst, a blend. Plus you'd get a tiny bit better gas mileage.

I wouldn't even use the ester oil if it was free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back