Free oil change on Dealer !! good or bad ??

Can't say about Canada, but no dealer in the USA is going to use oil that doesn't meet current API spec. I think it was dollar tree or someone that sold old API spec oil and got sued and lost - not to mention the wholesalers won't sell it because they can't get it - the blenders stop making it.

Now if you need something special - like a special VW spec or something - possibly thats different.

It will likely be the cheapest bulk they can source, but its going to come from a major supplier.

I am not concerned with the dealer oil at all. HOWEVER, I did personally experienced TWO instances of dealers over-torquing drain bolts (during "Free / CPO" period). One time, I just couldn't unscrew it so paid the dealer to do it and told them to replace the stripped drain bolt (and charged me like $25 bucks for a new bolt).

Another time (my buddy after his break-in, free oil change at 1,000 mile), we couldn't unscrew (spent 2 hours using various methods) and he ended up welding a bar to the drain plug (at his work) to loosen. Probably a "newbie" who just grabbed an airgun used to tighten wheel lug nuts for drain bolts....

I think manufacturer supplied free oil changes are simply a way for you to get introduced to the dealer and the longer you delay doing your own they have you for life. I think that's the scheme behind it all. It makes you dependent from the start.
It’s also a great way to have all your service records saved to carfax when you have service done at a dealership. Then when you trade your car in you have a certified record of every service done. Can’t get that doing it yourself.

In all of my years and well over 50 cars I bought new and sold would you believe no one ever asked me for any service records. True.

But some people probably prefer that which is fine. I just haven't ran across any yet. Tomorrow is a new day however eh?

Bad.

On my 2007 335i, the dealer ripped out my rear right brake sensor wire doing an alignment and denied. After an ensued argument spanning weeks (I just DIY my brakes and it was about 90 miles when this happened), they agreed to making it right. Asked me what I wanted.

I said $12.

The director laughed, that’s it?

I said yeah I already fixed it using a Pex OEM and that’s what it cost.

Laughing he said we’ll cut you a check.

I wanted to demonstrate you did do it, and even though you lack integrity as do your techs, I don’t. I ain’t no slip and fall b****.

So he said look, we can do more. Free oil change and free water pump replacement on a N54.

I was gonna do it but then thought, I don’t ever want you nor your monkeys touching my precious 335 again. It’s like having a problem with food and sending it back to the kitchen. We all saw the French toast scene in Road Trip 2000 😂

We were shopping yesterday at several dealers.

Salesperson says they do free maintenance the fire three years.

That’s two oil changes with a 10k/1 year OCI. that math sucks.

And first change at 10k? No thanks.

Bad.

On my 2007 335i, the dealer ripped out my rear right brake sensor wire doing an alignment and denied. After an ensued argument spanning weeks (I just DIY my brakes and it was about 90 miles when this happened), they agreed to making it right. Asked me what I wanted.

I said $12.

The director laughed, that’s it?

I said yeah I already fixed it using a Pex OEM and that’s what it cost.

Laughing he said we’ll cut you a check.

I wanted to demonstrate you did do it, and even though you lack integrity as do your techs, I don’t. I ain’t no slip and fall b****.

So he said look, we can do more. Free oil change and free water pump replacement on a N54.

I was gonna do it but then thought, I don’t ever want you nor your monkeys touching my precious 335 again. It’s like having a problem with food and sending it back to the kitchen. We all saw the French toast scene in Road Trip 2000 😂
I don't like the dealer laughing

I don't like the dealer laughing
….there are many here among us, who feel that life, is but a joke….

Agreed. Why they wanted to resolve was I single handedly dropped their BBB from A+ to C-. They needed to settle and I was looking for nothing other than for them to replace the brand new sensor wire that was ripped doing the rear alignment, likely when the rear camber bolt broke loose. Imagine a tech just seeing he did that and letting the car leave like that?

My logic. You guys read the key and note all faults when it comes in. If it were already like that, you’d have noted it.

Free anything at a dealer, is questionable imho

It’s also a great way to have all your service records saved to carfax when you have service done at a dealership. Then when you trade your car in you have a certified record of every service done. Can’t get that doing it yourself.
You can add your own service records on to Carfax for your vehicle.

I find Carfax as just a tool but not a bible on how the car has been treated. I have seen Carfax reports neglect to identify accidents or be extremely vague on damage reports. The most consistent part of Carfax reports I have found is the number of owners and dealer service record keeping. Independent shops that provide service is hit or miss.

But even then, does that really impact trade in value? Trade in value has other variables to consider and seeing how some dealers look at a vehicle for trade in, all they look at is year, mileage, and exterior/interior condition.
We were shopping yesterday at several dealers.

Salesperson says they do free maintenance the fire three years.

That’s two oil changes with a 10k/1 year OCI. that math sucks.

And first change at 10k? No thanks.
In this case, I would do the following: DIY 2k, DIY 5k, Dealer 10k, DIY 15, etc. It's not like they will somehow turn you away or cancel the warranty.

BMW will sell you a plan thar gives you 3 oil changes for $225. The catch is the car has to be 6 years old or have 60k miles. They figure at that mileage/age they will find some issue to pad the bill. :D

The local chevy dealer uses mobil full synthetic, not Mobil 1. I had my oil changed there once a couple years ago, the next time I changed it myself the drain plug was almost impossible for me to get off. I haven't been back there since. I did buy a new Trax with the first oil change included,
doubt I'll go back. The advertised regular synthetic oil change price is $79.99 plus shop fees. Kind of expensive.

Last edited:
One free oil change with the Subaru and they used Castrol Magnatec, which is still available in Canada in drums and in bulk. It even had the oil name on the receipt.

As said earlier in this thread, no dealer is going to use oil that doesn't mean the manufacturer requirement.

BMW will sell you a plan thar gives you 3 oil changes for $225. The catch is the car has to be 6 years old or have 60k miles. They figure at that mileage/age they will find some issue to pad the bill. :D
Are you saying it has to be at least 6yr/60k miles in order to get the oil change "deal"? If so, that's a "we are going to try to sell you something" with out saying so.

One free oil change with the Subaru and they used Castrol Magnatec, which is still available in Canada in drums and in bulk. It even had the oil name on the receipt.

As said earlier in this thread, no dealer is going to use oil that doesn't mean the manufacturer requirement.
According to my owner's manual, the only oil recommended for my Mazda is Mazda 0w20 oil?? and me if I put another oil will I have warranty problems??

According to my owner's manual, the only oil recommended for my Mazda is Mazda 0w20 oil??
Automakers can only recommend the oil grade that was used to obtain fuel economy figures. They must actively discourage the use of any other grade.

However a dealer does not have to follow that.

And I think we’ve already discussed the use of manufacturer branded oil, right?

According to my owner's manual, the only oil recommended for my Mazda is Mazda 0w20 oil?? and me if I put another oil will I have warranty problems??

They are going to recommend the Mazda oil because they want to sell it. Mazda doesn't actually make the oil. If you dig into the manual a bit more it will say to use something 0w20 API SP/ILSAC GF-6A rated, which there are a lot of options.

Edit:

This is from the 2023 CX-5 owner's manual

1709766613301.jpg

Last edited:
I really don't like dealer service just for the fact I don't want to sit there and wait. That aside my VW dealer in Fallston MD. Is top notch.
They even did a free decarb for me at 29K miles...
Runs smooth as silk now..
No overfills or massive under fills
Stellar...all services were under the free maintenance program.

They are going to recommend the Mazda oil because they want to sell it. Mazda doesn't actually make the oil. If you dig into the manual a bit more it will say to use something 0w20 API SP/ILSAC GF-6A rated, which there are a lot of options.

I'm pretty sure the current supplier of Genuine Mazda packaged oil in North America is Idemitsu (see bottom of photo below).

1709767834156.jpg

With that said, the individual dealership's management has the flexibility to source bulk oil supplies from other brands for their service department as long as the oil meets the proper API certification specs. Note the wording in the owner's manual that specially says Genuine Mazda Premium oil is "recommended".

Last edited:
Back