Fram PH9688 ~6500 miles/6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Agreed, but it also depends on the characteristics of the media. Media A may have the a lower delta-p and holding capacity with less area than Media B. Media B may be much more prone to tearing than Media A, and so on. We never see media tears in any of these other filters with wide spaced pleats, so their media must not be so tear prone.

I vote for Xrs2zz to get the "Best Cutter" 2015 Award. ... Engineers know they have to balance pore-size and delta-pressure, and we know if you use more media area, you can use smaller pore size filter media at the same target delta-p.

Originally Posted By: Xrs2zz
^^^ Agreed, but it also depends on the characteristics of the media. Media A may have the a lower delta-p and holding capacity with less area than Media B. Media B may be much more prone to tearing than Media A, and so on. We never see media tears in any of these other filters with wide spaced pleats, so their media must not be so tear prone.

Maybe the OP can measure out the media surface area in this PH9688. Would be interesting to know what it is.

I just measured it. 45"x2" with 1/2" pleats. Hope that helps you out.

If you cut out the media and laid it flat to get 2" wide by 45" long, then the total area is 90 sq-in. That's not outside of the norm at all for a filter of that size.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

I vote for Xrs2zz to get the "Best Cutter" 2015 Award. ... Engineers know they have to balance pore-size and delta-pressure, and we know if you use more media area, you can use smaller pore size filter media at the same target delta-p.

Well of course, and that's why it's hard to compare "number of pleats" and even "total media area" between to different filter brands.

What really needs to be compared is "Delta-P vs Flow Rate" for oil viscosity X, along with efficiency (xx% @ y microns or xx% for >y microns) and holding capacity (grams or recommended change mileage). Those are the parameters that really tell you what's going on, and those are also pretty hard to obtain for most filters.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I don't have any knowledge or experience with the PH3682. what does that fit?

The "short" version of the PH3600 is the PH3614 and those are kinda "meh" in my opinion.

Maybe a google search can find you a PH3682 opened up.

Excellent idea KC,I found one! It's the Fram Extra Guard that fits my car. Looks like a great filter!

2nqekxc.jpg

Nice! I sure wouldnt hesitate to use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back