Fram PH16 / Super Tech ST16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
New guy here, I bought a 1993 Jeep Wrangler with 77,000 miles on it.
I changed the oil and filter. ( I don't know what oil was in it, the filter was a white one, don't know who made it.)
I put in Mobil 1 synthetic10w-30 and a Fram PH16 filter.
From the start the oil pressure was about 10# lower (40). After reading here about filters, I changed to a Super Tech ST 16. The oil pressure is now higher (45-50). I didn't change the oil, just added about half a quart.
Any thoughts about this ?
Thanks
YOOPYJ

It would appear that there is more resistance due to better filtering. I still like SuperTech-I think they are a great filter.

quote:

Originally posted by YOOPYJ:
...From the start ...

So you mean startup oil pressure? Could just mean it was colder outside when you had the supertech.

Pressure readings are temperature sensitive and need that additional data point to be compared.

All else equal, if there is more pressure, it would mean the filter is less restrictive. Since the pressure port is after the filter.

Start up pressure was about 10# higher on a warm engine, after 20 miles at 50-55 MPH, the pressure dropped to 45.
I noticed at idle speed, it was about 35 psi/
I also think the Mobil1 is cleaning out the engine, as it is getting rather black at 3,000 miles.
In my Blazer, with 135,000 miles it stays a light
honey color. Oil pressure has always been about 50#. I used AC filter until Wal-Mart quit selling them. I used a few Frams, but not going to anymore.

IF the pressure sensor is on the other side of the filter from the pump then I don't see how the filter can effect the pressure at all. The oil pump is a positive displacement pump so it will mainly either pump its volume or shear a shaft, all things being equal. Now, some cars do have a pressure relief valve built in to the block, so a lot of backpressure at the filter could cause it to open and show lower pressure down stream. Am I making any sense here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back