Fram is a junk filter, I have seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before anyone gets riled up, let me say this: I do not presume to be an "oil expert". I do however, have a technical background and most importantly, common sense.

Now, with that in mind, I have seen a cut-a-way of Frams, and they are junk. Any reasonable person could determine that by seeing what I did. While I cannot recommend another brand, I am sure there are plenty of informed opinions/suggestions here. I would gamble with anything BUT a Fram. JMHO.

Yeah, I saw a picture of one cut up one time and it looked horrible.

I use OEM Toyota Filters for my xB. Cheap and high quality!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Before anyone gets riled up, let me say this: I do not presume to be an "oil expert". I do however, have a technical background and most importantly, common sense.

Now, with that in mind, I have seen a cut-a-way of Frams, and they are junk. Any reasonable person could determine that by seeing what I did. While I cannot recommend another brand, I am sure there are plenty of informed opinions/suggestions here. I would gamble with anything BUT a Fram. JMHO.

First of welcome.

As some one who has easy 1 million miles (and about 1/2 of that on my PERSONAL cars over 30 years) using Frams I guess I've been lucky.

Also, since it is the #1 selling filter in the US, I guess all those other users are lucky too.

I've cut open EVERY oil filter (and posted quite a few of them here, more than any other member here) i've used and never had a Fram "fall apart".

Are there better filters? Maybe, I've stopped using them due to cost. But, I'd use one tomorrow. (in fact, my Dads honda powered VUE will get one in about a month)

Take care, (call me gambling bill)
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: xBa380

You use Denso filters which for many are built as cheap as a Fram.... (no end caps)

(I've cut open a few and posted photos in the oil filter area)

Take care, bill

I was gonna say...

I run 3-4K OCI's, on my second Thailand-made Denso, still holding up well. I have one left after, but I'm thinking of going PureONE.

(My Sunfire has a "Synthetic" FRAM, don't tell anyone!
27.gif
)

Last edited:
Cummins (& Dodge) stated Frams can disintegrate, clog the piston oil cooling nozzles, & void your engine's warranty. That was good enough for me, & there are plenty of cheaper alternatives out there anyway (such as Purolator, my personal favorite). Why risk it?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I have seen a cut-a-way of Frams, and they are junk.

I hear ya,got 5 or 6 orange cans of doom in my garage(that i got
from friends)that i've cut open,pice of [censored]!!!

I used fras for a long time and discovered through this site that you can get much better quality for about the same price or less.

I just placed an order at fleet filter and got a bunch of napa gold filters for cheaper than I could get the orange cans.

If every other oil filter was substantially more expensive than a fram I might consider using them. But you can get better quality for the same or less.

I ran one for 7500 miles and it didn't blow up or disintegrate. It was laying around the garage and happened to fit. Engine ran just fine with it on. Then again it's hard to kill a 3800...

Don't worry, I sprang for the Wix this time around.

I was cured of the Fram oil filter habit about 10 or more years ago when I found several Fram filters were loose inside the can after removing from the engine at oil change time, about 3000 miles oci-this was on several cars with different oil filter part numbers (at different times). I decided to not risk using them anymore. Later, when I got online with my own computer, I found many others had experienced the same.

I used the classic orange Frams for years. Never once had a problem. I usually just swing by the dealership and grab an OEM filter these days.

Sorry about posting this in the wrong area, I am new to this forum, and I see where it belongs, now. The cut-a-way I saw was at an auto parts store. The sales guy did it himself, and kept it under the counter to show if the subject came up. IMO, if Fram didn't have a sales agreement with Walmart, they would suffer greatly. I think 99% of the WM OC customers just "figure it's (Fram) OK to use..." I never will use Fram, again.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: xBa380

You use Denso filters which for many are built as cheap as a Fram.... (no end caps)

(I've cut open a few and posted photos in the oil filter area)

Take care, bill

Exactly...you oil filter (toyota) is built horrible.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Fram filters are like sausages... I loved them

until I saw how they were made.
crackmeup2.gif

LOL.gif
That's one of the best analogies I've heard here.
thumbsup2.gif

If any Canucks are reading this right now, "How Its Made" on Discovery will be showing the construction of a Fram filters in 5 or 10 minutes.

Alex.

Originally Posted By: GMGuy
If any Canucks are reading this right now, "How Its Made" on Discovery will be showing the construction of a Fram filters in 5 or 10 minutes.

Alex.

I'm going to be doing my own "how it's made" with my Donaldson Synteq filters after I run my first one on the Townie
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back