Fram filter end disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the motor oil go through the fiber end disk on the Fram Extra/Tough Guard oil filter?I don't think the Fiber end disk is porous.Thanks Joe

Actually many make a big deal of the Fram fiber(most call it paper which is wrong)end caps. Even though I don't use the OCOD millions do in the real world with no problems. Remember the oil is far more important than the filter.

I didn't see anything in that video where he says it does or does not allow the oil to pass through, just that it is porous. His claim is that the porosity allows the adhesive used to make good bond between the end disk and the media.

Does the adhesive prevent flow through the end disk? I don't know but it's hard to imagine much oil would flow through the disk and the adhesive with the much larger and freer flowing filter paper right there.

From the cut open Frams I've handled I can't imagine much, if any oil getting through the end caps. And as you pointed out, there is a much easier intended path for the oil to take.

I have noticed the endcap on the base plate side of the Fram is cut slightly octagonal though, apparently to promote oil flow past the endcap and into the filtering media.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
I didn't see anything in that video where he says it does or does not allow the oil to pass through, just that it is porous. His claim is that the porosity allows the adhesive used to make good bond between the end disk and the media.

Does the adhesive prevent flow through the end disk? I don't know but it's hard to imagine much oil would flow through the disk and the adhesive with the much larger and freer flowing filter paper right there.
You're right, guess I was mashing up their mention of porousness of the end caps with ability to filter. The amount of oil that passes through would most likely be negligible.

Hi,
Fram tech guy here. The end caps have a porous surface that allows maximum retention of the plastisol glue. They are not so porous as to allow oil to flow through.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hi,
Fram tech guy here. The end caps have a porous surface that allows maximum retention of the plastisol glue. They are not so porous as to allow oil to flow through.

32.gif
Motorking, has FRAM found the problem with the FRAM Ultra filter member Mullick2001 sent in last week?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hi,

Would they flex enough to relieve any stress on the media as it is pushed against the backing tube under high pressure flow? Some Purolators are tearing, so this is a simple curiosity point...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back