Fram Cartridge Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with these? Walmart here dropped the prices of the Extra Guard CH9972 to $5.90 (was $8.00 I think). Looks like a decent filter.

The Fram cartridge for my Cruze looks like a piece of junk. The pleats are uneven, the media looks thin, and the plastic endcaps look flimsy. For the premium price wanted for that Chinese junk, I can get a US-made Hengst filter that's used as the OEM filter with enough left over for a stop at Tim Horton's.

I'd inspect carefully before using.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The Fram cartridge for my Cruze looks like a piece of junk. The pleats are uneven, the media looks thin, and the plastic endcaps look flimsy. For the premium price wanted for that Chinese junk, I can get a US-made Hengst filter that's used as the OEM filter with enough left over for a stop at Tim Horton's.

I'd inspect carefully before using.

The pleats on these ones appear even (unlike the Purolators) and are made in the USA. One thing is, I've never seen these filters sell for so cheap.

Fram can sell some good filters. It sounds like your application is one of the good ones.

For the price, blame WalMart more than Fram. More than likely they weren't selling at $8, so the price was lowered to see if folks would bite so WM can still make some profit off of them.

German's cartridge filters are better than any other. Stick with Mann, Hengst, Mahle, Bosch ... especially the ones made in Germany.

I've used Mexican made Frams in my BMW and they appeared to have been well made, with sturdy metal end caps and a metal cage over the outside of the media.
I think it may be that Frams for some applications are pretty good, while others are best left on the shelf.

No experience with this particular Fram cartridge, but some with cartridge filters in general. On thing I've found is, with a cartridge filter one can get a good look at the overall construction of the filter prior to purchase. In my opinion and experience, if the aftermarket cartridge looks well made with even pleating and similar construction to the OEM, it will generally get the job done.

In my case I've settled on some Napa Gold(Wix) filters purchased at 40% off, but even before the sale price the NG was much less than the Hyundai oem. Interestingly though, the Fram CH10515 and the Purolator 25848 (as shown in the link below) look identical to the Napa Gold/Wix. For this application it has been suggested that all three are made by the same manufacturer. Based on the pics of the Purolator and comments about the Fram in the linked thread and pics of the Fram at their site, I couldn't argue.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2375885&page=1

To the OP, I'd say if the 9972 looks well made and similar in construction to the oem, it should work fine.

sayjac - It seems that complaints like "waviness" may be compression/fitment related. And the fit seems to vary by brand and engine. For example a Fram may fit great on a Honda Accord but not a Toyota Camry, and a Purolator the opposite. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you.

My thoughts, discussing the virtues of fram filters is right up there with " We must be bored today".

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
sayjac - It seems that complaints like "waviness" may be compression/fitment related. And the fit seems to vary by brand and engine. For example a Fram may fit great on a Honda Accord but not a Toyota Camry, and a Purolator the opposite. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you.

I've seen some cartridges posted here that 'look' to have been compressed with installation. I've also seen some early Purolator cartridges that took on a collapsed/twisted look after use. In the latter case, Purolator acknowleded that an inner/center cage was needed for support and went on to fix the issue. IMO some of the aftermarkets were playing some catch up to oem's early on with more vehicles using cartridges. While I'm sure there are still some exceptions, it seems that all including Purolator are doing a better job. As said, I've had success with the Napa Gold/Wix but I checked out the construction first, also as much as possible making sure that the height/length of the cartridge was the same as the oem to reduce the chance of compression of the filter/media.

I'd put the Fram Tough Guard up against any filter from any mfg. I've been using 'em on my daughters Caddy CTS for drain intervals of up to 10k miles...no problems.

OP, I paid $40 shipped for 10 OE Toyota filters and 10 drain plug washers off eBay. I'm sure the price would just be slightly higher for Canada, and they may be a better choice than the Fram due to occasional distortion issues that people report with a/m cartridge filters. Be sure to torque to the proper torque spec (18 ft-lbs for most), as correct install is also key.

The fram oil filter used for the purpose of oil changing an infrequent operation. As oil changing is messy, time-consuming operation but it for the purpose of in creasing the life of engine and its better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back