2013 steel vs 2015 aluminum body f-150

So i heard 2010 was a terrible model year for metal with ford, and that it would not be uncommon for the body to rot in 3-5 years with holes. My question is how was the later year 2013 ~ 2014 steel bodys right before the swap to all aluminum. And im especially interested in knowing how the aluminum body is doing with age now that is has been around a while?

I heard a nasty rumor that when ford switched to the aluminum body that they fully enclosed the frame and made it one gauge thinner metal which makes the frame rot before the aluminum body. not sure how true that is as the frames that I have seen, look just like any other ford frame.

Business partner has a 2016 F150 with the 3.5EB and over 100K with no frame or body issues. Truck spends 100% of its time outside and it’s had 6 salty winters so far. He had 2013 before that and his dad bought it off him and still has the truck at their MA house but it doesn’t get driven much since they’re in Florida most of the year. My partner will drive it for week and every now and then for his father and we were just looking at it a few weeks ago as we left work. We looked underneath and there’s some rust but nothing bad. Body is still in good condition but it’s garaged at home and it doesn’t see much action in the winter.

Last edited:
Cannot speak for the underneath on the aluminum ones. We just moved away from Iowa there's a bunch of f-150s there and I didn't see any body issues on the aluminum ones. The 2010-14 ones didn't seem bad except for cab corners was a very common rust spot.

I sort of doubt that they made the frame thinner considering how much the payload ratings went up after the swap to aluminum bodies. I believe the GVWR's remained the same, but the truck itself got much lighter.

The frame on my 2009 supercrew longbox 157" wheelbase is exactly the same ( i have specifications for both in material thickness and steel strength) as on my current 2016 supercrew longbox. The body is perfect on my 2016 after 6 years of Calgary winter roads.

1689879219397.png

1689879281913.png

1689879396786.png

No body issues on my 2016 F150 that haven't been self inflicted... other than the steel body color painted front bumper - rock chips have resulted in the usual corrosion. Current plan is to take it off after this winter and either repaint or replace. I knew that was the bargain when I didn't want chrome and went with the sport package... Otherwise I'm happy with it to date.

2010-2015 rockers and cab corners will rot through in the rust belt. I am speaking of the SuperCrews. Almost all of that vintage here will have rust showing in the back cab corners and much worse if you crawl under and look along the rockers.

I am fine with my aluminum bodied 150. The weight saved in the body went back into a sturdier safety cage. You’ll even see frame rails behind the front wheels to protect the footwells. The aluminum does dent easier, and in reflections you can tell it isn’t as “crisp” as steel. But I throw things into the bed all the time and the wear and tear is fine for how I treat it. Dings in the side panels do show, but they happen anyway. the things wearing faster are body plastics, the integrity of weatherstripping - rubber and plastic bits which have nothing to do with the body materials. If I could do it again, I’d stay with the aluminum. Truck handles great, seems quite safe, gets good mpg in oem guise and I’m happy with it.

ive had issues with the transmission, and have a minor coolant leak due to coolant line o-rings on the back of the block. Oh and an in-warranty, dash-off, hvac repair. My older Tundra was more reliable, but was more crude, less comfortable, less efficient, and had fewer features.

There is 3 different frame thicknesses in the F150s. At least in 2018 anyway. The standard non towing package trucks got the thinnest frame. The tow package trucks got medium, and the HDPP and the Max tow package got the thickest frame.

I dont recall what they were anymore. But it made no difference in my buying decision. Use Fluid film or whatever floats yer boat and forget about it.

Back