FM chemistry and MDS

Well then your MPGs should go waaaaay up if it’s just an FM matter. Something tells me they haven’t done so. To passivate such an obvious sensation on the basis of reduced friction (friction of what? do we know what is actually moving or rubbing to cause the rumble?), then friction everywhere would be reduced in kind… and results should be observed in fuel consumption.
I don't really track fuel mileage, it gets below 10mpg during the winter, currently I think it is showing around 13, it goes up in the summer. I could tell you it does "seem" better, but I haven't been tracking it close enough to know for sure at this juncture; to provide some meaningful quantitative figures that would be required to answer your query. I could give you the ins-and-outs of the MDS system and its components but I'm not sure that would be helpful, as I always just assumed the rumble was the imbalance created by only half the cylinders firing. Perhaps there is a harmonic component to the "lifter inside a lifter" arrangement? I feel like I'm reaching with that though.
IMO it’s some really high viscosity component that isn’t there in other finished blended lines, which provides some cushioning because of its intrinsic strengths. At some point we need to move from generic use of PAO/AN/POE/etc. just because those things are in there doesn’t mean a whole lot. The right ones with the right properties is what matters.
Well, Dave could probably give us that information (if there is a component with extremely high viscosity) if that's the case, as that shouldn't be "top secret", I'll tag him again, @High Performance Lubricants.

On the generics, while I get your critique, we are sort of limited here by the grade in terms of what the options are. You are limited by Noack, CCS and MRV so your base oil blend has to be reasonably light to retain the Winter rating, but heavy enough to keep Noack volatility below 10%. This is a bit different from your gear oil example. HPL's use of POE is probably more generous than mainstream marques, but Redline uses a fair bit of it and I've heard nothing similar from the folks that have run it in these engines.

Where there may be a difference is on their use of AN's, which are only available (at least from XOM Chemical) in two viscosities: 12.4cSt, which has "less than great" cold temperature performance with a -40C visc of 392,500cSt, but a Noack of 4.5%, and their 5cSt one, which has a VI of 74, a -40C visc of 43,600cSt and a Noack of 12.7%. They are more dense than the PAO bases.

There's also Mobil's mPAO, but I don't know if that's being used here, I don't THINK so? Those are some viscous puppies at 65cSt and 150cSt. These have very high VI's of 179 and 210 respectively.

Dr. Rudnick is clearly a master of his craft and I suspect that there is some stuff being done with formulation that is trade secret type material, but I don't think our efforts here in trying to determine what is happening (what is being muted), what the mechanism is to cause it (the muting) encroach on that or produce questions that can't be answered because it would be too revealing. Of course I could also be totally wrong on that too, lol.

I don't think our efforts here in trying to determine what is happening (what is being muted), what the mechanism is to cause it (the muting) encroach on that or produce questions that can't be answered because it would be too revealing. Of course I could also be totally wrong on that too, lol.
Next thing you know, it cures the infamous HEMI tick. ;)

The HEMI tick is probably just noisy rocker arms and push rods that are either worn out or out of spec. 😱

I can believe it. In our Odyssey van that calls for 0w20, I tried some 5w30 the last oil change. The engine definitely sounded like it was straining harder and groaning more than the 0w20. I went back to 0w20 the other day for its latest oil change and definitely does not have the louder strained sound anymore.
See, I had the opposite experience … I ran PP Euro 0w40 in my ‘06 Ody, and not only was it so smooth you couldn’t tell it was running, it turned in the best (of the essentially incomparable) UOAs, at the longest distance run.

Well either @OVERKILL and I are crazy or there’s something to it. MDS is noticeably smoother with the HPL 0w20 in my 5.7 as well!
To be fair, mine is almost unnoticeable as it currently is. I'm running M1 EP 0W20. So, I am not sure how much better it can be.

See, I had the opposite experience … I ran PP Euro 0w40 in my ‘06 Ody, and not only was it so smooth you couldn’t tell it was running, it turned in the best (of the essentially incomparable) UOAs, at the longest distance run.
Crazy how different people can have different experiences, isn’t it? Even my wife noticed there was a difference but I didn’t tell her I put w30 in it. All she knew was the oil was changed.

Jeez, now burla is probably going to show back up on this board under a new name… he was incessant with the whole Redline Oil/Tick-stop shtick 😂
Rumor has it that Burla is still "ticking" (no pun intended) and plotting his revenge return while spreading his Gospel on another forum, in his own "Synthetic Oil" thread, together with at least one more like-minded individual. It's a beautiful place where he's initially welcoming, but then he drags you down to his level and beats you with experience. I quit visiting that place a while back as the posts are headache-inducing and can cause the premature death of brain cells, resulting in the loss of precious IQ points. Other side effects include hair loss, blurry vision, sweaty palms, and grinding teeth.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: Per Wayne's request,
FM = Friction Modifier, these are compounds that reduce the coefficient of friction on surfaces, reducing drag and improving efficiency

MDS = Multiple Displacement System. This is a cylinder deactivation system that, using a mechanism inside the lifters, disables 4 of the 8 cylinders to improve economy
Thank you for that.

Well either @OVERKILL and I are crazy or there’s something to it. MDS is noticeably smoother with the HPL 0w20 in my 5.7 as well!
So this is with the Premium plus oil you posted in the photo section? Overkill had some oil made specifically for him, so it would be a different formula, correct? Is the oil used from the batch made for him? 🤔
I had sent a PM to HPL about doing the same thing for me, except in a 5w20 to keep the variables down in a testing situation. I have never used anything but 5w20 in mine, so to keep everything the same other than the oil, it needed to be the same viscosity in my truck.

So this is with the Premium plus oil you posted in the photo section? Overkill had some oil made specifically for him, so it would be a different formula, correct? Is the oil used from the batch made for him? 🤔
I had sent a PM to HPL about doing the same thing for me, except in a 5w20 to keep the variables down in a testing situation. I have never used anything but 5w20 in mine, so to keep everything the same other than the oil, it needed to be the same viscosity in my truck.
Yes, I didn’t see 5w20 when I ordered mine but it’s there now… likely I just missed it. I have also noticed my oil pressure stays at 50psi at 210F consistently while cruising now, with the Valvoline it would be 48-49psi at 210F. Not ground breaking or anything, just something I noticed.

These oils are all pretty high moly, I wonder if that's what is making a difference here.

I don't remember how the mds sounded before I switched to HPL. But it's not that noticable to me. I only have around 3500 miles on my truck. I probably switched to HPL around the 2k mark.

These oils are all pretty high moly, I wonder if that's what is making a difference here.

I don't remember how the mds sounded before I switched to HPL. But it's not that noticable to me. I only have around 3500 miles on my truck. I probably switched to HPL around the 2k mark.
I’m at 31,500 miles. It’s not so much how it sounds because it still does the 4 banger rumble thanks to my flowmaster, but it “feels” smoother. Having driven a bit more since changing over to it, it still will have a bit of vibration if there is a hill, but otherwise is a seamless transition from 8 to 4, before it was pretty noticeable to me.

Yes, I didn’t see 5w20 when I ordered mine but it’s there now… likely I just missed it. I have also noticed my oil pressure stays at 50psi at 210F consistently while cruising now, with the Valvoline it would be 48-49psi at 210F. Not ground breaking or anything, just something I noticed.
So if your MDS is “noticeably smoother” using the premium plus 0w20, that tells me that the supercar 0w40 additive pack in OVERKILL’s special blend is not the variable that is smoothing out the “MDS rumble”.
With that said, yours is “noticeably smoother” while he described his as “imperceptible”. It’s possible that the difference between smoother and imperceptible is the difference between his Grand Cherokee with its 6.4 vs our Rams with the 5.7l. As for his Ram, it could be the difference between our older body style without dampers vs his with the dampers.

I need a cup of coffee. My brain is working too hard on a Saturday morning.

Back