Mercedes G Wagon: Well I guess I stand corrected.

In the past I have loathed German cars. Today I worked on a G wagon as they call them. Things pretty cool. Has a dipstick to check the oil and even factory twice pipes with a nice rumble. I'm digging it. Unfortunately even a used one is out of my budget.

Attachments

• IMG_20231207_153651414.jpg
    IMG_20231207_153651414.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20231207_153148834.jpg
    IMG_20231207_153148834.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 101
Sell the Jeep and FJ and take out a car mortgage. Does this beat working on big old broken stuff out in the dirt somewhere?
Yes. Every time I get frustrated I remind I'm not working for those clowns anymore. The problem i had was not so much the work it was the constant belittling of us employees. We never could do enough to please management.

That G-Wagen is built by Steyr in Austria. The vehicle was developed jointly by Mercedes Benz, Daimler, Puch, and Steyr back in 1972. The AWD and suspension is all Steyr and Puch, I believe. Initially, the vehicle was solely a military vehicle (Wolf) until 1979. The same vehicle has been built by Peugeot as the P4 for the French military. Over the decades, the G evolved from a utilitarian vehicle to a luxury vehicle. Military versions still exist and are in use all over the world. There are countless variants like the IFAV of the Marines, the Wolf, and the LIVSO. And there are rapper editions.

Last edited:
In the past I have loathed German cars. Today I worked on a G wagon as they call them. Things pretty cool. Has a dipstick to check the oil and even factory twice pipes with a nice rumble. I'm digging it. Unfortunately even a used one is out of my budget.

Technically it's an Austrian car though. Made by Steyr but using Mercedes components like the engine. So you can still loath German cars ;)

If only they sold a less tarted up model in the US..... Came close once, but decided that it was over the top for me and then I saw one on TV disgorging a load of Kardashians and I said 'never!' :D

Great vehicles though. Know folks who have an early Puch one.
Years ago you could buy ex Bundeswehr Wolf (their name for the G), or ex Polizei used one from vehicle disposal. No frills, or toys in these just a nice MB diesel and great drivetrain. Some military were hardtops too.

Wolf.jpg

Bundeswehr_MB_Wolf.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-G-Wagen-Engine.jpg

Back