First oil change for my new car.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive built a few hot small blocks and i change the ROTELLA WITH COMP ADD just after cam break-in and i get the timing and carb set. the first 30 mins or so is when your going to get the most metal. after that i run 500 miles with t5 and comp add. then if its not too high lift(under 450 hyd) i just run what ever but if its high lift or solid i stick with t5.
this aint stuff i just made up, ive have lost a couple engines to cam failure before comp told me what was goin on and how to fix it. i have not lost one since

point is when breaking in an engine you can change your oil and put more break-in oil in it and still get the metal out!!

If it were mine, I'd follow my usual practice of draining the FF at 1K, and then running another 3K on dino, and then going to syn at whatever interval you deem appropriate.
I do 5K drains, which is probably shorter than I really need to do, based upon the oils I use and the way the cars are driven.
Do whatever you please.
Whatever you decide, that Toyota 4 cyl should outlast the rest of the Camry.

There is no evidence that changing it now is anymore beneficial then changing it at the recommended OCI. Change it if you must but it will be fine.

UPDATE

Well, I changed my oil yesterday at 850 miles. I did a 90 minute drain. I know, it's excessive, but I am on vacation.

I replaced the filter with an OEM Toyota Denso filter and filled the engine with 4.7 US quarts of Castrol Edge (0W20).

Seems like really nice oil. It better be...it costs more than liquor.

0W20 Edge is so thin and clear on the dipstick, it is really hard to tell the level at first glance. It should be easier as the oil becomes more used. Hopefully WalMart will begin carrying 0W20 Edge in the 5 quart jugs sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted By: 1999cutiger
UPDATE

Well, I changed my oil yesterday at 850 miles. I did a 90 minute drain. I know, it's excessive, but I am on vacation.

I replaced the filter with an OEM Toyota Denso filter and filled the engine with 4.7 US quarts of Castrol Edge (0W20).

0W20 Edge is so thin and clear on the dipstick, it is really hard to tell the level at first glance. It should be easier as the oil becomes more used. Hopefully WalMart will begin carrying 0W20 Edge in the 5 quart jugs sooner rather than later.

thumbsup2.gif

UPDATE

Congrats on your new ride. When I bought my Mazda3, I was real anal about oil and maintenance, then I ended up totalling the car and the oil I chose never mattered.

Originally Posted By: maximus
UPDATE

Congrats on your new ride. When I bought my Mazda3, I was real anal about oil and maintenance, then I ended up totalling the car and the oil I chose never mattered.

Sorry to hear about your Mazda, but it had a clean engine right up til' the end....

There is enough anecdotal evidence on both sides so change it if you must but don't be absurd in thinking it is the best method.

I prefer to just follow what is written, and that seems to work just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_557C6Bm9I

What it doesn't mention is the near clean room conditions in which they are built and the constant washing during phases being built.

Filter's have advanced as well so anything with would possible cause an engine harm has been filtered out before the engine oil goes anywhere.

For the record both new cars I've owned went by the manual which in both cases was 5k miles before first oil change. Thats what I did and they both survived.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back