Finally bought an oil extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ That is exactly why I will not buy a Fumoto valve. I caught some heat a few times for commenting about them, I'll stick to removing the drain plug in my vehicles.

Recently bought a Mityvac 7200 on Ebay, new for $68. Used it on GM 2.4 and it got most of it out; refilled with full 5 quarts and dip stick shows full, not over. Took a bit more pumping than I expected but turned out to be a clean, easy job. Expect to use it next on Accord xmsn.

My SLK sports car, even on the ramps was too low for me to get under and remove panels and drain, so my skinny friend had to do it.
I bought the Topsider for $45 : https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_390306_390306

It makes it so easy now. It removes more oil also then draining from the oil drain plug.
Before the refill took less then 6 quarts to fill to top line. Now using the vacuum system it uses the full 6 quarts.
My oil filter is replaced from the top of engine so this is great.

I use an oil extractor to get as much ATF out of the pan before I remove it to swap out the fluid and filter. It makes changing ATF much easier if the pan doesn't have a drain plug. I tried it once on my van and was disappointed when I pulled the drain plug to check how well it did and saw how much more oil came out. When it is practical to use the drain plug imo nothing gets more oil out than taking out the drain plug.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
^^ That is exactly why I will not buy a Fumoto valve. I caught some heat a few times for commenting about them, I'll stick to removing the drain plug in my vehicles.

LOL. I am very proud of myself because I have not commented on the last 2 or 3 Fumoto threads. I don’t get them even a little bit but obviously some think they are great. It took a lot of therapy and self-control but I no longer feel compelled to criticize the Fumoto.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: Trav

Trav, does this video convince you? Do you use a vacuum extractor for motor oil and ATF?

What i get from that video is similar to what I said. They work better on some cars than others.

on a car designed to work well with an oil extractor they are usually a great option.

some other cars... not so much.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: Trav

Trav, does this video convince you? Do you use a vacuum extractor for motor oil and ATF?

On most Euro engines I use one as the dipstick tubes are usually larger diameter and go straight in, they were designed with this type of tool in mind. US engines no so much, many have small diameter tubes and have all sorts of twisted and kinks, many you cant even get the tube in very far.

For most transmission no, I just use a big pan and drop the back down first on the ones with no pan yes I use it. For someone doing just drain and fills every few oil changes to keep the fluid fresh then sure not a bad thing.

I converted an old 4.7 Gallon propane tank into an extractor. I use a vacuum pump on it to suck out the oil, and an air compressor to blow it out into my used oil container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back